• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Official Gear Review Thread.....

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
I decided to create this the official gear review thread..........

I am one who always likes to get user reviews of product before I buy them if there are opinions out there. I had started a previous thread on goggles and harnesses and have another question on chest protectors. Figured everyone could start putting their gear questions and reviews here........:D

Alright guys, I have been wanting to get some protection and have already ruled out Tek-Vest and some others.....mainly due to price and Obama's stimulus plan hasn't kicked in for me yet. :rolleyes:

So what I have come up with are these protection jerseys.......have a riding buddy with the EVS model and loves it. Then I came across this 661 model and it has me intrigued too. Just looking for some thoughts.

EVS BJ22 ballistic jersey-
0000_EVS_BJ22_Ballistic_Jersey.jpg

SixSixOne Vapor jersey-
SixSixOne.jpg

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
I've been wearing a BWear vest for about 3 years. It's a little bulky but really takes a hit.
http://www.f-bombracing.com/BWear.html

I also have the Six Six One you have shown. Haven't worn it sledding but want to try it. It doesn't have near the chest protection as other vests.

I wear both vests when riding bikes. Really depends on where I'm riding as to which type of protection I need. I've had a good shot to the ribs via tree branch wearing the Six Six One (minimal protection).

Our medical bills would far exceed the price of any vest had we not been wearing one.:eek:

Good Luck.:face-icon-small-hap

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I have had a BWear since they first came out (3 yrs ago?). They are the best for protection that I have found. Like Ron said, a bit bulky but after they mold to your body, much better, don't really know that you are wearing one.

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
I've been wearing a BWear vest for about 3 years. It's a little bulky but really takes a hit.
http://www.f-bombracing.com/BWear.html

I have had a BWear since they first came out (3 yrs ago?). They are the best for protection that I have found. Like Ron said, a bit bulky but after they mold to your body, much better, don't really know that you are wearing one.

Talked to Rob at the show and the Bwears are no more. There is the rodeo version of the bwear but they are no longer making the snowmobile version

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Protection is one of those things you should never skimp on because of the price. The consequences could far outweigh the initial price.

I had a nasty wreck this year. I pretty much landed on my shoulder from 80 feet up in the air. I am 100% convinced that if i wasnt wearing my tek vest i would have destroyed my shoulder and collar bone. I still suffered some pretty good whip lash, nerve, and muscle damage, but I know it could have been much worse without the vest. That side of the tek vest is now all spongy and soft and i am replacing it.

You never know when things might go wrong, but its best to be prepared and protected for when they do.

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
I used to wear the EVS in motocross really liked it, it got hot but not sure that is a problem in the winter. the best thing about EVS ia their warranty and customer service I have to where knee braces and love there webs
EVS_Web_Large.jpg
I also have the REVO5 chest guard
EV9-REVO-5_is
I love this one racing moto X light durable and comfortable. Has anyone worn a race collar sledding I want to wear mine but i think my coat and the brace wont work? My boys wear the EVS foam ones that Velcro under the helmet which is awesome on bumpy road keeps their neck safe.

Last edited:

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Protection is one of those things you should never skimp on because of the price. The consequences could far outweigh the initial price.

I had a nasty wreck this year. I pretty much landed on my shoulder from 80 feet up in the air. I am 100% convinced that if i wasnt wearing my tek vest i would have destroyed my shoulder and collar bone. I still suffered some pretty good whip lash, nerve, and muscle damage, but I know it could have been much worse without the vest. That side of the tek vest is now all spongy and soft and i am replacing it.

You never know when things might go wrong, but its best to be prepared and protected for when they do.

Protection is a must. I think people forget the need to replace safety equipment when it gets compromised. I am surprised at all the banged up helmets I see people using year after year. They are not designed to take more than one hit, even a good drop on the ground can compromise the integrity of the helmet. A new helmet every year is not a bad thing to consider.

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
If this stuff is designed to take a hit on the MX on the track........what is the difference going to a sled?? I don't see guys wearing Tek-vests even in freestyle.

Just wondering why that wouldn't be enough protection........

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
If this stuff is designed to take a hit on the MX on the track........what is the difference going to a sled?? I don't see guys wearing Tek-vests even in freestyle.

I've never felt the need to have a vest for each activity. Figure a wipe on a sled or bike require the same protection.

If by chance you're looking for a Six Six One, watch www.chainlove.com
Seen them for 50-60% off. Keep the site open and new deals will rollover all day.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Protection is a must. I think people forget the need to replace safety equipment when it gets compromised. I am surprised at all the banged up helmets I see people using year after year. They are not designed to take more than one hit, even a good drop on the ground can compromise the integrity of the helmet. A new helmet every year is not a bad thing to consider.

Agreed, I wrecked hard this summer and I not riding until I replace my lid.

Does anyone know the average shelf life of a helmet that does not take the big hit? I want to say 4-5 years and the materials naturally break down and degrade from age. Would like to know the average life span so that I know when it's time to replace the lid....well if I ever quit wrecking.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN

If you are getting a full chest protector or pressure suit it should be fine. If it was more of a roost gaurd then it is worthless for protection(only cushions dirt and rock roost). I've taken some good hits from trees with my Thor chest protector...however I don't think it would absorb the blow from say a handle bar or large snag like a texvest or something with the foam would. For that I just rely on my rippling, chisled, greek god like abs;)

Premium Features