• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Lag Issue?

J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
So I've head there are "0 Lag" systems out there...
I don't think that's possible, but what systems have less?
How do you cut down on turbo lag?

the closer the turbo to the header, the less the lag. it verys on different sleds to. what sled are you thinking of boosting?

C

chris79

Mar 3, 2008
Foremost, Alberta
i wouldnt worry about lag! nytro's are pretty responsive! ppl think theres like a 5 second delay. not going to happen. truth is. ppl that dont have boost, are the ones that bring up lag![/QUOT

^^^^^^^
True statement, got to ride the 240hp nytro kit last year, its like 1 second of lag maybe...they are sweeeeet.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
maybe so, i'm not boosted but i have fair seat time on 2 mcx nytros with one of them built by a reputable builder and tuner (chris banser) and also a front mount trx1 (also built by banser), and i can;t seem to bring myself to ever wanting to own a rear mount kit. i do realize that after you are used to its not really that bad and i agree its no 5 second lag bit to me it still is noticeable difference, but do you ever have a situation where u can see the benefit of running the mid or front mount setup?

C

chris79

Mar 3, 2008
Foremost, Alberta
maybe so, i'm not boosted but i have fair seat time on 2 mcx nytros with one of them built by a reputable builder and tuner (chris banser) and also a front mount trx1 (also built by banser), and i can;t seem to bring myself to ever wanting to own a rear mount kit. i do realize that after you are used to its not really that bad and i agree its no 5 second lag bit to me it still is noticeable difference, but do you ever have a situation where u can see the benefit of running the mid or front mount setup?

I know what you are saying. Personally I would go with mid or front mount, but I think the rear mounts get a bad rap when they really aren't as bad as they are made out to be. Maybe one disadvantage with mid and front mount is the heat issue but these new kits are well planned now, these issue are delt with. Not trying to flip flop here, all the kits are very good and wicked fun to ride. Everyone has there preference I think.:beer;:beer;

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
if you know how to tune a clutch most lag can be clutched out a higher rpm engagement & the right helix after a few rides you wont notice it .till you get on a front mount:Di had a mcx on my vec for a year didnt like it at first but with some clutching it was a new sled with that said i still like the front mount better but thats just me. :beer;:beer;

A
Aug 7, 2009
Berthoud Colorado
Mind if I say something. It doesn't matter where the turbo is for one.
Let me explain you can have the turbo mounted 3 inches out of the cylinder (which is great) but if your tubing from the turbo through the intercooler to the cylinder is 3 feet. You still lose. Now if it is mounted a foot out from the header and your pipe is 2 feet total thats a foot less for the charge to travel.
The longer the tubeing, the longer it takes the compressed air to reach the cylinders. One benefit on the rear mount setup that no one has hit yet.
With it being in the rear (not the front) you get a cooler charge. From the turbo to the cylinder. Reason being there is more area to cool the air then when it does hit the intercooler it is already reduced by maybe 10 degrees. I know that does not sound like much. But believe me it is. Down side, like above you need to play with the clutches to get the higher engagement. If you do get a rear mount wrap the tube from the intercooler to the cylinder, not from the turbo to the intercooler. It will just hold in the heat.
I know alot of you guys know this. It is not my intent to explain it to you guys.
Very good topic.
thanks jeff

Sorry forgot something. Air filter placement is an issue as well. Out side the hood is the best.

Last edited:

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Fuely MCX product is super. The carb stuff.......now thats a different story.
I have a MCX nytro......ride that as much as possible.....the top end charge is hard as i believe the air to snow cooler in the tunnel is one of the huge benefits with that kit.:)
Mid mount propane......comes on hard after a soft and smooth delivery. @ under 2 bux a gallon and mid 20lbs of boost it's all I can handle.:D
Front mount hybrid on apex...heat is the spoiler for all front mounts. Oh yeah and broken headers and fires:eek:
Those are my rides and I'd ride any one of them any day of the week. :beer;
RS

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
I have ridden my MCX Nytro and an MPI supercharger RX-1. The lag is pretty minimal on mine and the RX-1 seemed to be pretty similar.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the kits that are out.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
The MCX Nytro are great, I would consider one myself. I like the idea of pump gas and go. :beer;

Premium Features