• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Turbo Kit And Why?

R
Nov 26, 2007
What is everyone running for turbo kit and why? I get to do alot of testing for Alpine and I am just wonder what makes guys choose one guys kit over another guys? Just trying to get some feed back from everyone so when I go out this year with them, I can let them know what we should be working on. Example: More boost on pump fuel, better suspension set-ups, what track for turbo application, best set-up for the least amount of money? let me know guy's and girl's and we will see what we can make happen this year. Cheers Paul.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I know when I was looking for a turbo kit I was thinking about ease of use, reliability and cost. When I purchased mine I went with MCXpress and have been very happy with it. It still kills me when I think of what I spent on the kit and the neighbor kid down the street just put a turbo on his Honda for a third the price... but I'm sure he isn't having half the fun.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
I went powderlites, because I wanted a pumpgas reliable set up with service after the sale. Comments on here definitely swayed my decision last summer when I was making the decision. Another Major factor was having a product in my hands early enough so i could wrench when there was no snow. A kit that comes out in December does me no good. I would like to run more boost on pump than i can if possible (10# at 1000 and 14 at 8000 and up) But must be safe. I will be keeping a eye on the new Alpine kit to see how it goes this year.

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Turbo

I purchased Powder Lites because I wanted a rear mount kit(weight and heat concerns), I wanted quick response and the higher HP #'s they were suggesting but still using premium fuel, I was able to talk and deal directly with the builder and most of all I was able to support a Canadian manufacturer. My decision proved to be a sound one. The service after the sale was exactly what I had hoped for and much more, the reliability was spot on and although I have nothing else to compare it to as far as turbo's are concerned, the power is amazing.

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Hey Paul

Oh ya, and one more thing. In exchange for this valuable info from the Canadian prairies maybe you could give me and a couple of my "combine pilot" sleddin buds a day in the Rockies and show us some of that sh*t you guys are doing out there.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Oh ya, and one more thing. In exchange for this valuable info from the Canadian prairies maybe you could give me and a couple of my "combine pilot" sleddin buds a day in the Rockies and show us some of that sh*t you guys are doing out there.
No problem and you and your buddies are more then welcome to come and try out some of the Alpine set-ups from mild to wild.:beer;

BBNytro

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Estevan, Sask
I would have to say you guys need to get a website with more info and pictures. I knew you guys were out there, but being from sask. I can't just swing by and check it out.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
First thing that comes to mind for me is cost, I personally dont mind spending extra money if you get what you pay for. Spool up is a concern for me also, I wouldnt even concider a rear mount PERIOD! Customer service is a biggie, if you spend more on a kit that has the intelligence and willingness to back up the product down the road (even if you dont ever need it as a consumer) its really nice to have/know its there. Quality of the parts/kit and setup.

But what I have been saying for years on here is why take a lets say $20K+ investment and throw a POS simple fueling box on it? There is SO MUCH potential for an EFI sled nowadays its crazy to think that some people will spend 40,000 on a turbo sled build and run what I concider 20 bucks worth of electronics to try and fuel their sled? It may not be the option for everybody and whats out there works and will make a sled run, but doesnt even compare to what the posibilities could be with a good FMS.

J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
enough said!
IMG_4577.jpg

T

Turbo Monster

Nov 26, 2007
Hinton Alberta
Johnny you are absolutley right.I went with the Alpine after test riding them 4 years ago at yama fest.Dean and Joulein(Spelling) were great guys to talk to and they answered all my questions.It was the best decision I ever made.The thing runs awsome still after 3 winters going onto it's 4th year.

Last edited:
Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
If you look at the picture above, it's attached to the left of the intercooler with the little filter on top of it. At least that's what I assume it is...

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
If you look at the picture above, it's attached to the left of the intercooler with the little filter on top of it. At least that's what I assume it is...

O.K i see i now , i was talking to Dean the other day and he said that they have made up and sold a few , but did not have a picture , so i take it that they work good to contain the oil that sometimes come out of the crankcase vent when the sled is rolled upside down the right way .

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
well just like my turbo cars i want foolproof reliability..275+ on pump fuel,near zero lag,NO electronic problems,and flawless customer support. 6-8000.00 in not a problem for a perfect kit that is just as dependable as a stock apex ridden 4000 miles a year...IMHO

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
We built that oil catch can but no longer build it the same way.
The newer Vector catch can is on the side of oil tank and works better for climbing steep stuff.
www.powderlites.com

Hi Dave , i do not see it on your website , I have been looking and asking for awhile now what poeple use to fix this problem , with no real answer . what is the fix to this on a apex .

T

Tookes

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage
Impulse
Great customer service
Well built kits
Great performance
they are always looking to make something great, better!

Premium Features