• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

snowmobile rental washington state?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Dec 20, 2007
just curios if any one has heard this but a freind of mine who has a rental company was told by the sherrifs up at greenwater that it is against the law to ride rental sleds on snow park trails . have any of you guys and gals heard about this ? my wife and i have beel lookin for this supposed law and cant find it anywhere . we found our legislator and will be in contact with them just wonderin if im just out of the loop thanks

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
as long as its tabbed and u have a parking sticker on ur window they cant stop u from ridding ! i know people barrow sleds all the time and have no issues ! maybe the sled shouldnt have a rental sticker on it and u wont get looked at ! just an idea
mike:D

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
That does not make sense at all ........... where are they supposed to ride them then?

This must be the guy that was parked next to us yesterday. Big black chev Duramax flatbed with a black enclosed trailer. Their rental name was on the truck and trailer.

Last edited:
H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
Incorrect info from officier!!

As long as the sleds have tabs that are current---tell the officier to go get lost!! He is full of it. The tabs pay for the grooming--does not matter if they are rental sleds or not!!

H20SKE...

C

CHOP

Nov 15, 2008
it was me

I was the one that they said no rentals on forest land.I was up just with my fam,they were waiting at my truck ride with me rentals when i came down.
They did only give me a ticket for tabs,but told me NO rentals of any sores
canbe on forest land.So i would really like to get to the bottom of this.If i'm
not mistaken stampeed has a rental outfit in there parking lot also.So i don't get it.:confused:

A
Oct 5, 2008
enumclaw
I'm thinking that making money on forest service or public land is illegal . there's probably a permit or a licence to buy so they can get a cut . just because they sell Xmas tree permits and lumber and gravel and don't forget tickets .That Its alright for us they don't like compaction .

F
Jan 23, 2002
on another site
I'm thinking that making money on forest service or public land is illegal . there's probably a permit or a licence to buy so they can get a cut . just because they sell Xmas tree permits and lumber and gravel and don't forget tickets .That Its alright for us they don't like compaction .

I need to find you that spell check program.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
I would have stopped in at the forest service ranger station in Enumclaw and said show me the aricle where the law is written as such. I would be on the phone Monday for sure. There was a Ski-Doo up there that was a rental from a rental place in Lakewood also. That would kill the snowmobile rental business I would think if that was true. One of those deals where it sounds too stupid to be true - although we live in Washington State - guess it shouldn't surprise me !!

I was the one that they said no rentals on forest land.I was up just with my fam,they were waiting at my truck ride with me rentals when i came down.
They did only give me a ticket for tabs,but told me NO rentals of any sores
canbe on forest land.So i would really like to get to the bottom of this.If i'm
not mistaken stampeed has a rental outfit in there parking lot also.So i don't get it.:confused:

32nBelow

Nov 26, 2007
central cascades
You can rent sleds and take them to the snopark, but there is a permit needed to deliver or operate (paperwork for rentals) on USFS land.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Its true

You can rent sleds and take them to the snopark, but there is a permit needed to deliver or operate (paperwork for rentals) on USFS land.

I have had the same issues with selling lights at a race that where held on FS property... Its a no go...3 yrs running. I cant see any reason they can stop you, as long as your not delivering the sleds and conducting biz on their land.
just set renters up with a trailer..

I think the issue is doing business on FS property, not riding rentals on RS property. They guy at Crystal hasn't been there for a few years. The other rental places, Easton Snowmobile Rentals and Cascade Playtime have their own locations, near the trails, but not on forest property.
As long as you have tags and sno-park permits, there's no difference between a rental sled, owned sled, borrowed sled, ...

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
To be clear, it sounds more like the transaction of renting a sled cannot happen on FS property. For example the rental guy trailers up 6 sleds and stands there waiting to rent them doing the transaction right there.

If you rent them elsewhere and trailer them in yourself and you have the sno-park permit you are probably ok.

Is this what the rental guy was doing?

S
Nov 30, 2007
Puyallup, WA
I'm wondering if they just have some new guys up there looking for new revenue... I was up on Satruday the 20th, and came back to the truck to find a warning "ticket" about not having a valid snow park permit posted. Good thing they put it under the passenger side wiper, otherwise they may have actually had to notice the properly filled out permit on the OTHER side.....(driver's side, at bottom of the window, like it says on the permit)

Dec 30, 2008
Ramsey, MN
Call the FS office in Enumclaw and get a clarification. I do know for fact that the transactions cannot happen on FS land, they want their cut of all revenue made on their property - so fill out the 5 page application, and give them 60 days to process (we have to do that for the poker run we hold up there). But as for riding up there on sleds you picked up off the FS property, was it a FS Officer or Sherrif?

I'm curious to hear the official answer.

Call either Mary or Denny in Enumclas
Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest
(360) 825-6586

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
You know if you ran a business on my property, I sure as hell would want a cut of the sales!

Who wouldn't?

Use my property and you better compensate me. No different with government land. Pay to use the resource. Besides the money does technically come back to us the people.

Premium Features