• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Break In

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Can't wait to get mine out there. The last sled I rode was an 08. Apparently theres a big improvement.

Later.....

I was in s similar situation; the last sled I owned was an 03 Mtn Viper with a 144 "long track". The responsiveness of these new machines is very impressive. I'm happy I went with a new summit after riding my brother and sister's 17 RMKs. I do like how the RMK sets an edge but for me the crisp throttle and power of the 850 make it better than the RMK. I plan to lock out my tmotion and might end up centering my skis to see if I can make mine set that edge.

C
Dec 8, 2013
Central Idaho
It’s all in how you run the flipper. Plus miles vs km also.

Im sure the difference is in the flipper. Thats what I'm asking. 65 miles and only 10% broke in is a hell of a lot different than 200 miles and 100% broke in. Just trying to see the difference in how each of you got where you are.

Doesn't really matter I guess. I'm going to ride the piss out of it after the first few heat cycles anyway. You'd just think they would be a little more consistent. You were broke in at 200, stmike won't be until it's at 650 at that rate.

Last edited:

Teamdog

Premium Member
Just ride the sled the way you always would. let the electronics do the thinking.
Heat cycles is the secret in my opinion.
We ride in an area where its up hill from the parking lot to the first cabin We will stop at the cabin and let the engine cool down then take another run to one of the riding areas and then let it cool again for a few minutes and so on.

Don't baby it just ride it.

The break-in mode takes care of the engine. You ride.

That's my take on it.

Later....

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
^^^^
I chop the throttle every second or so from full closed to full open all day long.

Of coarse a few days of 3-5ft pow helps as well. On a good day I can usually bust out 20% a ride, can’t get it every time though, since this time of year snow can be a bit spotty.

The break in is very consistent, but the count down is based off fuel flow. Which is why it seems so inconsistent. So use more fuel faster = faster count down. Since Doo has put the count down timer on the screen(13my?) I’ve been done with in 20 miles each way of 200 miles every year. Once even at 180.

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
^^^^
I chop the throttle every second or so from full closed to full open all day long.

Of coarse a few days of 3-5ft pow helps as well. On a good day I can usually bust out 20% a ride, can’t get it every time though, since this time of year snow can be a bit spotty.

The break in is very consistent, but the count down is based off fuel flow. Which is why it seems so inconsistent. So use more fuel faster = faster count down. Since Doo has put the count down timer on the screen(13my?) I’ve been done with in 20 miles each way of 200 miles every year. Once even at 180.

How are you liking that 175 vs your last year sled?

SODAK-DOO

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2015
eastern south dakota
just looked at my sled yesterday. '17 154" 2.5". 187 miles 38% left on break in. that was on 3 days of hard riding in 3'-5' of fresh snow at rabbit ears. i was surprised also with how hard it was road and still having 38% left. the last day i went through a whole tank of fuel in 45 miles and had to use someone else jerry can to get back. went through more then 2 tanks in the 3 days. that is my experience so far.

Oh, and went through a gallon of oil in those 3 days as well.

Premium Features