• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtntek vs sidekick

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Looking at a kit for an axys, what's the general consensus, I seen comparisons between sibler and BD but not against mtntek. Never been around or rode one of these kits but from what I've gathered is some people have had less than perfect results with the sidekick. The mtntek seems to sound the best and most responsive by the sounds of em in videos.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Both systems have their strong points.

Both systems run well.

The Mtntk, IMO, has a great turbo.

The Sidekick, IMO, has the best boost control system.

Have you owned both? How much boost do you usually run, and do you adjust it frequently?

S
Nov 7, 2015
Rigby, Idaho
This will be my 3rd year on my MTNTK turbo. Running 10.5psi and I havent ridden a more responsiive turbo. Buddy has a BD and overall the power feels identical up top, I roll into boost quicker and his feels like it has more of a hit. I would not hesitate to run either system. If you ride in marginal conditions the tunnel cooler included with the MTNTK kit is nice

C
Nov 21, 2010
i have done a lot of research but was still very indesisive i bought the bd side kick because by what i have heard they are the most reliable and still very responsive if not the most responsive, not much adjustment tho but i had a buddy with a mntec and he was ****ing with it all the time trying to keep it running good i also had another bud who had problems with his mountain teck right of the hop but then it ran awesome after a month of getting it set up it ran great for a few years. the only other turbo kit I've been around is the tss . The tss is the best running out of everything i have seen sofar but i haven't riden many turbos. i have never seen or riden a boondocker turbo before but seems to be the best bet for me

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
The Mtntk, IMO, has a great turbo.

I used to,want to try a mtntk just to get th efr turbo.

We ran an efr turbo in our race car last year. 7163 that is approx 60lbs/min

This year we switched to the new Gen2 gtx Garrett and we are spooling at the same rpm with a 85 lbs/min turbo.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
If you haven’t had a turbo before I would steer you towards a side kick. If you have seat time with s turbo and wrench time then the MTNTK setup will give you more flexibility to finding what works best for you.

*edit for grammatical errors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
If you haven’t had a turbo before I would steer you towards a side kick. If you have seat time with s turbo and wrench time then the MTNTK setup will give you more flexibility to finding what works best for you.

*edit for grammatical errors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will be my first turbo kit that I have bought instead of building, work is busy and that means minimal time to wrench and I have other builds to get done, so looking for pull and go, not sure on the sidekick because if it doesn't work it seems like I can't fix it. Mtntek setup seems new and exciting plus the response from what I see on videos looks/sounds the best

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
This will be my 3rd year on my MTNTK turbo. Running 10.5psi and I havent ridden a more responsiive turbo. Buddy has a BD and overall the power feels identical up top, I roll into boost quicker and his feels like it has more of a hit. I would not hesitate to run either system. If you ride in marginal conditions the tunnel cooler included with the MTNTK kit is nice

Which BD turbo kit does your buddy have? Sidekick, ST, STX? How much boost does he run with his BD?

Premium Features