• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rev vs iq

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
Sold my 700 dragon 155, looking to buy a new sled, but wanting to try either m8 or rev 800. Probably 151. How does a rev perform in powder, both meadows and hills. Videos I have been watching look like they might really dig in the rear, rather than get on top. But from someone with first hand experience, how does the rev 800 151 compare to a dragon 700 155.?

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
they are different animals i've ridden both
the 800 has more hp 04-06 the 07 has the r motor and runs even better
revs are great in powder they performe really well with the 16'' track they float good but you can still carve figure 8s :face-icon-small-ton
i doubt you will see/feel a major diff. in all out performance
but some
you may wanna ride a rev it will feel quite a bit different than you iq

why did you sell th IQ ?
let it snow

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
I think youll feel more at home on the m8. Power wise and depending on the year your 700 will feel faster than the rev and the m8. I can take my rev more places than my iq but my iq holds a line better. But ive had 3000+miles on my rev vs 150 on the iq. So really with time you can ride anyting. And the iq is boosted so much harder to ride technical.

S
Oct 17, 2001
Milwaukee
From my experience, the Cat M chassis sleds (05-09) that I've ridden are much closer in overall feel to the Polaris sleds vs. the Rev.

Having had an '04 Rev HM-X for a couple years, I never did get comfortable on that sled and it never did handle, turn, float, as well as my previous Polaris sleds or the M Cats. Spent a lot of time and money on shocks, removed sway bar, other tweaks and it just never seemed "right" to me. Kinda hard to explain, but never had any confidence in it- except for climbing, definitely was a goat uphill.

Actually went back to an Edge last season from the Rev and way happier. Turns, floats, doesn't trench, more neutral feeling overall, kinda like your favorite pair of shoes, always seems just right. My brother has an '08 IQ, which I'm quite impressed with overall, very light feeling and more like an advanced edge vs. alien like the Rev always seemed.

Have several friends on XP Summits (couple upgraded to XMs this year) and what little seat time I've had on them, way better vs. my Rev experience, especially the 2010 X model (he's actually stuffing a TMotion kit on his 2010 next week, so that will be interesting to see the end result on snow). Until I ended up with the Edge again, was convinced I wanted a XP, but now not so sure.

Love the M Cat engine packages (M1000 plain ridiculous perma grin at all times), especially the newer models without the diamond drive, but to me the chassis and wet weight just aren't advanced enough to go backwards again. The new Cat Pro-Ride, haven't ridden it, but based on looks and other riders inputs, just doesn't seem like a homerun either (at least in near stock form, and if I'm spending close to $10k or more, I don't want to invest more $$$ in aftermarket parts- I want pull n go these days!).

Likely will upgrade after this season and for my $$$, I'll either go with a Pro-RMK (engine "issues" don't scare me off, 2-strokes by nature are not your fathers Buick & I don't put enough total miles on anyway to worry much. Heck I'd prefer to find one in good physical shape needing a top end and do the work myself, know it's done right, and save some $$$) or a 2010-12 XP Summit (SP or X package, most likely ETEC).

If you can't ride one before you buy, I'd say skip the Rev and find a deal on either a 2011 Pro-RMK or X package XP Summit.

Last edited:
Premium Features