• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Boost on the Pro?

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
So what you are saying not only in this post but other post is it takes a built engine to create more power on the same boost eh? Now almost everyone I know of calls a built motor a head shim (lost power), rods and timing. Which of these created more power? Compression, porting and valve size for the most part is about it when it comes to creating more power per lbs of boost. Timing is usually pulled on the top again loosing power.
Second, 200 is an arbitrary number since no one has any clue what the Pro is going to produce at said boost. 300 is also an arbitrary number since I don't have any dyno proof, nor I can bet do you. So I will take it your insinuation is more to defame me than get actual facts. So lets play.
You ask which sleds I have produce 300hp. An apex with stock compression will run circles around a lower compression apex with built internals. Been there done done that. If you can be so kind as to figure out what 18lbs of boost at 8500' does on a stock compression Apex. Then figure 15 for a Nytro. I don't know since I dont have a dyno in my shop but you must know.
Then figure what a M1000 will do on 15-16lbs. I might get an education since again I have no dyno.
If you would have read my posts you would have read that I will not run high boost all the time but, I would like to know how much, is, too much for those days when I really want to get after it. No one knows is the answer.
MCX kits almost all have lower compression.They take more boost to make up for the lack of compression than a stock compressed engine. Do you not understand this? You must of had a head shim and thought you gained power with it?

As for what I am after. WTF is it to you? If I want to know if anyone has ran higher boost numbers on a Pro, answer the question or move the F along.
It must be a Polaris and Skidoo thing. Been left behind for so long that no one has a clue what folks run on turbo sleds. Ask this same question in the AC or Yamaha forum and you will have a plethora of posts stating that "my reeds let go at 15lbs", or I couldnt keep a top end in it if I ran it with too much boost for too long or what have ya. Not here, I get guys telling me why you dont need it and you need to learn to ride.
Geezus I should have kept the Cat.:face-icon-small-sad

With out running a head shim you are limited to run higher boost. why did you run 10 12 psi with your nytro on average? And you going to tell me that with stock compression your sled @12psi will run with one running at 18 psi and a head shim or lower compression pistons? Not a chance.Of course you DO NOT gain power with a head shim NO FKN SHT! But you do when you run more boost because of it. Motor work such as what i ran gave you more hp per psi you It all works together. Its a no brainer it all comes into play. Ive been playing the turbo game for a while as well. My first turbo was what you run on your apex. Guess what i UPGRADED to what i just sold.and it would have ate the first one.lol

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow:face-icon-small-haplol...easy boys.
I'm glad this question was asked about the pro and how much it can handle. Bottom line is, all of us thinking about this, own, or have owned boosted yammi's and have the need for big power. I would have a hard time riding a pro at only 12lbs because I know what my yammi can do. I hope they hold up well. Like twsandrew said, I may own one at some point to sit along side my yammi, and he nailed it when he said it feels like a car wreck the next day, lmao!

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
With out running a head shim you are limited to run higher boost. why did you run 10 12 psi with your nytro on average? And you going to tell me that with stock compression your sled @12psi will run with one running at 18 psi and a head shim or lower compression pistons? Not a chance.Of course you DO NOT gain power with a head shim NO FKN SHT! But you do when you run more boost because of it. Motor work such as what i ran gave you more hp per psi you It all works together. Its a no brainer it all comes into play. Ive been playing the turbo game for a while as well. My first turbo was what you run on your apex. Guess what i UPGRADED to what i just sold.and it would have ate the first one.lol

12-18 nope your correct. That is a no brainier.:face-icon-small-con
As for why I ran the boost I did on my sleds. I prefer to run av gas. That limits me to the amount I can run without dropping compression. If you have not noticed yet I am against dropping compression to run higher boost. What you gain on the top you loose everywhere else. The Pro will be no different. I will run av gas and turn it up till it detonates than back it off. I hope that will be between 12-14 lbs. On those days when we all get together and frolic, I hope to stretch its legs even more. The point that it will stretch will probably be found. I just hope that someone else finds it before me.:devil: Hence the reason for this thread....

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Get a hold of product tester (Shain Stanger) I was at the Krazy Canadian invitational last spring and took a spin on a pro with a 174 x 3" track under it and I believe that it was dialed up to 18 psi when I hit the throttle. The bottom end tuning wasn't quite dialed in, but from mid range up it pulled super hard. I believe both of the ModRods XXX brothers rode the sled as well, so maybe they will chime in. Either way, my TM10 on 8 psi had nothing on that sled. Was it everyday usable power, no. But, to know that you could if you wanted to was bad azz.

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
i believe you are going to want at least 12lbs. to get you to 200HP at 10K. Probably more to achieve a TRUE 200HP. Too many do not realize how much 200 HP really is, especially at our elevation (10k-13K). Takes LOTS of boost to achieve that. 8-9lbs. puts you back to sea level HP at 11K.

BTW, ya, you will definitely SMILE with boost. It is addicting.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-ton

Sam

Sam You are close when you say 12lbs at 10K = 200. I tested a few different kits on the dyno and I will tell you its 180-185HP at 6psi boost/pump gas and the timing spot on with Knock headphones with water to air intercooler and 68 degree charge temps + pump gas.

The water to air intercooler averages over 9hp per pound of boost (corrected hp). Stock sled on same dyno made 131.7 sad but true. Take into consideration all the compressor loss and so on 12lbs would be close on a water to air system, not a air to air more like 14psi.

And yes most people have not felt a true 200HP on the mountain,its plenty.

Last edited:
T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I had to start this thread back up since I sold my apex. I rode what I think may be the fastest pro around for half a day and was honestly pretty uninspired. For me they just don't handle that much better than the Cat and they seem to make less power. Anyone put one on a hill against a good running RG M8 yet at 12lbs or more to make an honest comparison? The one I rode got pulled by bus lengths by a PG TM1k. It did pull a brand new Pro Ride 8 RG but that was the first day out on Pro Ride.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Ez I am pretty sure it was Ovs's shop sled.
To be fair Andrew had just picked up his new 1200 from them that he said was ridiculous!

Andrew, the only real thing I notice on this Chassis over my M is the way it holds an edge. The cat is just as maneuverable but the track wants to wash out on a side hill. It also fits us tall folk better too.
Otherwise my Cat rode better and handled just as good....

Hopefully I can get this thing up on some boost and see if it will actually produce some hp. Just a comparison on primary weight, and it is not a scientific or accurate comparison, just a comparison. My cat pulled 93 grams at 10lbs. The Poo pulls around 77.....

P
Jan 2, 2008
Get a hold of product tester (Shain Stanger) I was at the Krazy Canadian invitational last spring and took a spin on a pro with a 174 x 3" track under it and I believe that it was dialed up to 18 psi when I hit the throttle. The bottom end tuning wasn't quite dialed in, but from mid range up it pulled super hard. I believe both of the ModRods XXX brothers rode the sled as well, so maybe they will chime in. Either way, my TM10 on 8 psi had nothing on that sled. Was it everyday usable power, no. But, to know that you could if you wanted to was bad azz.

We had it at 15psi that day. I am running up to 20psi on that sled now with a bigger turbo. Stock throttle response from top to bottom. If you thought it was crazy then, you need to try it now. Running 15 on my new one we set up with a stock 163 track day in and out with no issues on either. There is nothing close to the twisted kits right now, if you would like to ride them let me know and I will keep in touch so we can meet up. You can reach Shain at TwistedTurbos@comcast.net

Last edited:
J
Aug 2, 2008
I ran 10-12 lbs of boost on 97 octane at 3500'. It pulls real hard. Most of the time your only using about 6000-7000 rpm. But when you want to wot it, hold on.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
We had it at 15psi that day. I am running up to 20psi on that sled now with a bigger turbo. Stock throttle response from top to bottom. If you thought it was crazy then, you need to try it now. Running 15 on my new one we set up with a stock 163 track day in and out with no issues on either. There is nothing close to the twisted kits right now, if you would like to ride them let me know and I will keep in touch so we can meet up. You can reach Shain at TwistedTurbos@comcast.net

Well, if you ever get back over to this side of the mountains, look me up and I'd love to check it out now that it's dialed in. I've gone a different route on this build for my boost, but that's what was available in my budget at the time and maybe I can upgrade/incorporate Twisted parts later on down the road.

Premium Features