• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Updating to Ball Bearing

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Started working on the yamaha tonight. Pulling the motor to add headshim and do cam timing. Also will be installing a HKS ball bearing turbo in place of the old gt25 journal bearing turbo that was on it. This is the first time I have worked on a yamaha and I cannot believe how heacy everything is built. I guess that is good though. Have toyed with thoughts of a new header to make it a side mount like the boondockers kit. But right now I am not sure I want to make that many changes as they sled has 3000 miles on it and I am assuming that since it has lasted this long it was a good design. Just wanting to use some of the newer concepts. Ball bearing turbo and head spacer, Also thinking of meth injection and removing the snow to air intercooler.

Here is the sled how I bought it.
Picture024.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Old turbo and new turbo
IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Engine compartment. Alot of work yet. to get the motor out.
IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

M
Jan 14, 2004
Well for one the exhaust should be pointing reawards if you plan on riding in snow. How much are you willing to spend? A real front mount header and intercooler would be worth the expense IMO that thing has an unreal amount of plumbing and the weight of the turbo isn't really ideal where it is. I'll have a front mount fuel tank available here in a week or so.

M5

J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
IMG_4576.jpg

this is my old vector. exhaust dumps into the tunnel. much quieter and the big intercooler. you wanna keep your charge air as cool as possible. hot air loses power.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
front mount

well the exhaust is something i was planning to change for sure as the new turbo is a bigger flange. i would love to change it to a front mount like powderlites or even a side mount like boondockers. but there does not seem to be an over abundance of used headers out there and don,t have a ton of money to spend. if any one has a boondocker oil tank i could easily flip my header and change it to woek. i dont want to tackle building an entirely new header like powderlites. but if someone has one they would like to part with for a decent price let me know as well.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Boondocker style sidemount.

I have the motor out of the sled now and everything cleanned up. Four words, Super Clean and car wash. Wondering what anyones thoughts are on a side mount. Looks like I can flip the manifold and modify it fairly easy. All I would have to do it either find a oil tank from a boondocker setup or build a tank. Also I have an intercooler that I can build into the intake. It is a bar and plate style made to flow about 425 cfm at 15lbs of boost with .5 press drop. Would think that would work very well. Also would not need to get a new gas tank either with that setup.

The sled has 3300 miles on it and it has been boosted for 3000. It was a very well thoughtout build for the time that it was built back in 04-05.

Does anyone have a picture of the oil tank and mounting location that boondocker uses for the oil tank on the side mount.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
No intercooler?

What do guys think about not running an intercooler and running meth injection? Only run 14lbs of boost at the most. Turbo is still pretty efficent at 14 lbs on the vector so it is not creating a ton of heat.

A
Aug 7, 2009
Berthoud Colorado
Well usually they are used together. The intercooler is more valuable then meth injection is. More efficient and cost effective. Basically it is free hp. Where as meth injection you have to purcahse it.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Intercooler

Mostly I am worried about the large area of charge tube that the sled right now with the snow to air intercooler. With the placement of the turbo in front of the motor it does not leave much room for an air to air IC. I was told that the setup works the way it is but of course I am making changes. I bought a water/meth kit for it. The guy who orginally bought the sled ran it at 8 lbs of boost with no intercooler for a long period of time on av gas with no head spacer.

No matter what I do I will try to run it with the snow to air setup first. See how well it works.

I am working on a extreme budget here. It was like pulling teeth to get the sled in the first place and bought it really cheap. And Told the wife I was not going to put any money into it. I just want to make the best performing sled I can on the budget I have. I know of alot of 2 strokes not running a IC. How does that relate to a 4 stroke?

Premium Features