• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HP3 Propane turbos vs other setups

H
Nov 30, 2007
Hardin, MT
I have only rode one turbo sled it is a 2007 propane apex (Brad Story's old Sled). I have been absolutely impressed with its reliability, consistency, and mileage. The power is the most addicting thing I have been around.

How do other setups compare?
What is the HP of a propane setup @ 15lbs,18bs,21lbs and 23lbs in an apex and a nytro?
Are race gas setups more or less reliable at the same boost?
How does a nytro with a MCExpress pump gas kit compare?

C

chris79

Mar 3, 2008
Foremost, Alberta
I have two buddies running the mcx rear mount. One on a apex and one on a nytro they are as reliable as anything out there I think. I just prefer a mid or front mount myself. I haven't had personal experiance with the alpine or impulse set ups but I have seen them run and they make big power, but like transporter said if you have to run 111 or c16 your cost to run will be higher. The propane power is very smooth and nice to ride but you will have to run a couple more pounds of boost to equal the gas kits,but with propane you can do that without worrying about good enough fuel. I think it boils down to preference what you like and are comfortable with. Jmo. Good luck with the decision I think you will be happy with any of the kits. I think tuesday on here said it best "Turbo whistle+Blow off valve = heaven", cheers

Chris

Ps. PM boost addict or climbax or bc boost these guys have alot of knowledge on the propane set-ups they can answer all your questions. Probably on the gas kits too.

Last edited:
R
Nov 30, 2007
calgary
h3joe, I have an apex with rear mount mcxpress 310 kit running at 17lbs on 50% c-12 and 50% premium. I have had some little problems off the start (tps and tors) with the system but they were minor and since then the sled has been running strong. It does get a little pricey when the 18.9L cans of c-12 are costing 80-90 dollars. I also have a Nytro with an HP3 propane system on it and it starts off at running 20lbs and goes all the way up to 30lbs of boost!:eek: The power comes on much smoother on the Nytro than the rear mount apex. I have had little problems with the HP3 system too like the blow off valve not being secured properly on the intercooler and also the throttle chop issue but these are going to be addressed shortly as there are updates for this system. I have never found range to be a problem with the propane only that its a little tougher to find a refilling station.

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Alpine turbo

Well I'm no expert on the turbo thing. Installed a few on two stroke and own a Nytro with an Alpine front mount. My setup runs 10 - 18 lbs boost. Could run more with engine mods. Honestly... I ran 10 lbs on pump gas at 240 hp most of last season with no hitches. The Alpine front mount is snappy and strong. For a guy who likes to play hard but doesn't do the video/crazy chutes where it is do or die, the torque and 240 hp is lots. If you wanna climb the crazy stuff 15 lbs puts you over 300 hp at 50/50 premium/race fuel. I know a couple guys who run av gas instead. I have no experience with av gas and 4 stroke turbo's myself, but I know it has been a cheap alternative to race fuel for us goofs running super 2 strokes that need over 100 octane. Still, ya gotta pack it to the hill. It is a lot cheaper, I think I was around $1.40 ish last winter.

If you want silly power crank the dial and run straight race fuel at 18 lbs. This is supposed to pull 385 hp. I never ran mine this high. I tested the 15 lbs and ran 50% c-12. On the flats I can't say you would notice the difference. On the steep, yep it will rock your world. I ran with the rear mount guys and I've ridden the front mounts and my preference leans to the front mount. It seems quicker when you squeeze the throttle. I think overall the rear mounts vs front mounts when spooled are close. Mine has a slight hesitation on the very bottom right at clutch engagement. This is caused by the CPU transition. The sled idles on the stock cpu and switches over as you come off idle. Not an issue as it is gone when the clutch is engaged.

If you are looking at a carb model, you have to remember that you have to pause when you back off and get back into the throttle. I am not 100% sure why this works this way but a bud has an RX 1 and it will stall if you back off and hit it. Just something to think about. Fuel injection is the way to fly these days if you can afford it. No more jetting... blah... blah. Just easier overall, and can add propane easy.

As far as fuel economy goes. My sled at 10 lbs ran with the rest of the pack. I never had an issue with fuel economy. The more boost, the more fuel. I know a few running 15+ lbs that pack 20 liter jerry cans to go where we go. Guess thats a choice you must make. Propane is a bit on the hard side if you run out. In my group there is always extra fuel but propane is pretty scarce. If I'm low, I can dial the boost down and run premium. Propane... well pretty much self explanitory.

Hope this was informative. If you have any more questions let me know. Oh yeah... Alpine and CR racing both have lots of experience with this stuff, check out their websites. CR is running some propane stuff and I think a couple Alpines customers are too.

Later:

D :)

C
Nov 26, 2007
Boost for boost, propane vs. gas, the gasoline powered sled will make more power. Propane has less thermal energy in the fuel than gasoline. However, it is a very cool setup.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
The new Impulse 17# pump gas kit looks like the way to go for me.

No race fuel..

No propane transfering...

Just buy pump gas when you get fuel for your vehicle..

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
I believe the Impulse pump gas turbo has a hefty head shim and probably around 8.5/1 compression which allows for the pump gas.

I would possibly run a little race fuel for good measure.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
I believe the Impulse pump gas turbo has a hefty head shim and probably around 8.5/1 compression which allows for the pump gas.

I would possibly run a little race fuel for good measure

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
The new impulse kit does have quite a thick headshim and double gaskets, but its goes together nicely.

J
Nov 27, 2007
hp3 vs ?

I have a boondocker and a mcx290, ride with a bunch of the propane sleds, alpine and impulse. If I could have chunked out the money up front the propane would have easilly made the difference back in a season. In my opinion boost is boost they all work great, the little bit of lag on the mcx is marginal. The ? you need to answer for yourself is do you want to run enuff boost to require race gas. If so the next thing you need to decide is if you want to pay $10 a gal. or $1.80. not sure the prices are exact, havent needed race gas since the snow melted or propane since I bought a traeger.

I would love to have the propane sled myself. julio

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Julio hasn't answered the above questions but from what he's told me it would be an Apex... he rode the TNytro my wife had and he didn't like it and neither did she. She now rides a TApex and handles it quite well...:face-icon-small-hap

If we could afford the HP3 Apex we would have one but for now all I can afford are 2 McXpress 290 Apex's...

Premium Features