• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

More options for the 2020 Khaos 850 RMK

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
Is there a way to build half a Kaos? A little more ski lift but not a wheelie machine? Just a longer limiter strap and a front track spring? Riding an 18 163 2.6 , 36 front ,dans clutches and head, rips pretty good. But feels glued to the snow.

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
Is there a way to build half a Kaos? A little more ski lift but not a wheelie machine? Just a longer limiter strap and a front track spring? Riding an 18 163 2.6 , 36 front ,dans clutches and head, rips pretty good. But feels glued to the snow.

I am hoping that a 163 version of the “Khaos” geometry will be just what you are describing. I want to end up between the Planted Pro RMK and a Ski-Doo wheelie machine. On the standard skid what you mentioned would help for sure along with loosening the rear track shock.

www.cvcustoms.com
Home of the 850 PIDD Power Up Cable

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I'm betting you will be fine unless you get into some stuff like we got into at alpine. Raised on it and froze. Couldn't get off the trail and get anything. Tried everything. Had to stop and get shovels out to chop some stuff to throw on tunnel. Worst I ever rode in. Finally got above it.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I'm betting you will be fine unless you get into some stuff like we got into at alpine. Raised on it and froze. Couldn't get off the trail and get anything. Tried everything. Had to stop and get shovels out to chop some stuff to throw on tunnel. Worst I ever rode in. Finally got above it.

Yeah in that situation I dont think it will matter what you have as it will overheat anyways. We ran into something similar last weekend. Single track switchback trail up the mountain and had to stop and put snow on top of the tunnel. Once we got up a bit and found a few places to dip off and spin the track the temps went back down.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I'm betting you will be fine unless you get into some stuff like we got into at alpine. Rained on it and froze. Couldn't get off the trail and get anything. Tried everything. Had to stop and get shovels out to chop some stuff to throw on tunnel. Worst I ever rode in. Finally got above it.

In those tough snow conditions I pull over and flip my sled "almost" over on it's side and spin the track with the throttle. I slowly let it auger down into the snow as I watch the temp drop. By the time the sled is back up right its pretty cool. The only cons to this is 1. it makes a deep hole for someone to drop in (thats why I get off to the side). 2. You can get carried away with this technique and almost get stuck lol. I know others do this as well if someone has a video?

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I was helping out recently at the Polaris 2020 sneak peek event in Idaho Falls ID. If you haven't seen them here are some pics of the updates on the 2020 850 Patriot motor:
Improved piston profile
Improved Crankshaft durability
New oil drain feature for center main bearings
New internal check valve in center cavity
New PTO bearing with retaining ring
New water temperature sensor
Improved manufacture process for crankcase sealant application
New larger Mag engine mounts
Updated calibration with software enhancements

IMG_4965_1024.jpg IMG_4964.JPG IMG_4963_1024.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Here's a couple pics of the new Velocity shocks and rails as well.

Does that particular sled have any miles on it yet?

What's up with that preload?

attachment.php

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Does that particular sled have any miles on it yet?

What's up with that preload?

Hey Scott,
Yes, this one has a lot of miles on it. This is one of the sleds I rode that Burandt set up. Yes, the lack of preload is intresting on these shocks. However they rode amazingly well in all the conditions we put them through. Pounding down rutted up trails, boon docking, tree trimming...I mean tree hustling, side hills, steep climbs up rutted hills etc. I'll attach some pics of Keith Curtis triple crown race sled set up the same preload. These shocks are the main reason Im snow checking a Khaos.

IMG_4982_1024.jpg IMG_4921_1024.jpg

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Hey Scott,
Yes, this one has a lot of miles on it. This is one of the sleds I rode that Burandt set up. Yes, the lack of preload is intresting on these shocks. However they rode amazingly well in all the conditions we put them through. Pounding down rutted up trails, boon docking, tree trimming...I mean tree hustling, side hills, steep climbs up rutted hills etc. I'll attach some pics of Keith Curtis triple crown race sled set up the same preload. These shocks are the main reason Im snow checking a Khaos.

Are you gonna be extending yours to a 163? I'm kind of torn on what do do. I ordered the 2.6 so I could have the belt drive but I either want to go with a 156 X3 or extend it to a 163.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Are you gonna be extending yours to a 163? I'm kind of torn on what do do. I ordered the 2.6 so I could have the belt drive but I either want to go with a 156 X3 or extend it to a 163.

Im extending mine to 163 and gearing it down. Its nice having great options for going with the stock style geomatry rails or Ice Age rails with the Khaos tipped up angle both with the new Khaos Walker Evans shocks.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Hey Scott,

That’s interesting, I hate seeing shocks with no adjustment one way like that. Usually means the base settings are bad, too stiff too soft. On the Curtis sled he’s got a way stiffer spring in it and they are still set with the adjustment all the way to the softest, least pre-load, setting. Do those shocks have any rebound adj or just compression.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Here is a little more info on these new shocks. I will add a few more pics I have of them as well below.
Notes from Polaris on these new shocks:
"Immediate Response. The Walker Evans Velocity Hi-Lo Compression Adjustable Shocks are the best of the best for a variety of conditions, as they have proven in dominating hillclimbs and snocross tracks."

Other outside info: "The biggest improvement on these shocks over the standard WEs is the position of the piggyback resevoir. Mounted much lower on the shock body, the resevoir is now below the full travel of the shock piston. This allows the shock to have two very different performance ranges; plush for the first bit of travel to be compliant in the small chatter bumps but stiff once the piston has travelled past the resevoir orifice. Imagine a shock that can be set up soft for comfort and ease of powder carving but still has the ability to absorb the big hit from that drop you just pounded without bottoming."

IMG_4970_1024.jpg IMG_4971_1024.jpg

Premium Features