• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How reliable does the ctec2 seem for a turbo?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hey guys, as title says, So I'm looking to buy a newer sled, will ride it stock but I'm sure in a season or 2 I'd throw a turbo on, pump gas, low boost of maybe 5# kind of deal, That said, How well do you think the ctec 2 will handle it? I know people loved the suzuki engine as it just went and went even with boost, I know a few that ran pump gas setups, didn't touch a thing and did pistons at 4k and crank/pistons as preventative at 7k km (not miles lol). Thanks! :face-icon-small-ton

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Any motor with a turbo will be less reliable and require more maintenance. The key is fueling it right and staying on top of it. That said, power is fun. I have a turbo and it is my favorite sled so far. Yes, more moving parts means more problems...simple math there. But the way they pull on climbs, holding Rs all day and getting you into and out of terrain that you didn't really think possible before, is worth it. And some would argue that a turbo can be more reliable because you are reducing reciprocal forces on bearings with pressure, and you are pushing more flow past the piston and helping to cool stock hot spots. Either way, it's a personal call. Yeah, there is more to go wrong, and it will, but there is nothing like the big climb pull and track speed it gives you. You can't not smile on a good running turbo.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Any motor with a turbo will be less reliable and require more maintenance. The key is fueling it right and staying on top of it. That said, power is fun. I have a turbo and it is my favorite sled so far. Yes, more moving parts means more problems...simple math there. But the way they pull on climbs, holding Rs all day and getting you into and out of terrain that you didn't really think possible before, is worth it. And some would argue that a turbo can be more reliable because you are reducing reciprocal forces on bearings with pressure, and you are pushing more flow past the piston and helping to cool stock hot spots. Either way, it's a personal call. Yeah, there is more to go wrong, and it will, but there is nothing like the big climb pull and track speed it gives you. You can't not smile on a good running turbo.

I know what you mean, I'm not looking for much power just a bit extra, I;ve been running a turbo pro that's given me so many issues I'm sick of it, I think it's finally fixed but its cost me 3 winters now, every issue with the pros I damn near have had., I just want to ride now. I ran it at 5# and at 6k it dropped to 4#, I didn't care to adjust it as it was manual, I'd just ride and was happy with it, Should be about stock hp at sea level anyways right?.

That said I don't mind maintenance and all that and the extra issues that comes with a turbo to some degree, new kits are so damn good now. But having drive shafts snap on you and jack shafts snapping (they do that STOCK on them pro's) does not make me feel comfortable to just rip it up all day either, in the back of my head I'm always worried now.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I know what you mean, I'm not looking for much power just a bit extra, I;ve been running a turbo pro that's given me so many issues I'm sick of it, I think it's finally fixed but its cost me 3 winters now, every issue with the pros I damn near have had., I just want to ride now. I ran it at 5# and at 6k it dropped to 4#, I didn't care to adjust it as it was manual, I'd just ride and was happy with it, Should be about stock hp at sea level anyways right?.

That said I don't mind maintenance and all that and the extra issues that comes with a turbo to some degree, new kits are so damn good now. But having drive shafts snap on you and jack shafts snapping (they do that STOCK on them pro's) does not make me feel comfortable to just rip it up all day either, in the back of my head I'm always worried now.

run turbos and bb the new cats are soo fun to ride the next one for me is stock with a can. the alpha just needs gas and go. last belt had 950 miles before i changed it and 400 of them on boost. Yes i took off the turbo.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I just want to ride now.
And there is the answer. I hear you...I'm a dad and don't ride much...when I go, I want to ride. I've just had great luck with my turbo. But, there is nothing like a stocker that is kept when you just want to ride. No tuning...no clutching...no fuss...fun day. Spend the money on suspension/shock set-up for your riding and size...then go stock and just ride. A turbo certainly can have issues, and any small issues usually translate to a bad running sled.

Z
Apr 26, 2017
And there is the answer. I hear you...I'm a dad and don't ride much...when I go, I want to ride. I've just had great luck with my turbo. But, there is nothing like a stocker that is kept when you just want to ride. No tuning...no clutching...no fuss...fun day. Spend the money on suspension/shock set-up for your riding and size...then go stock and just ride. A turbo certainly can have issues, and any small issues usually translate to a bad running sled.

I've pretty much been in the same debate with myself all year. As a flat lander, I take about 5 trips a year out west. As a result, when I go I really want to just ride. I had a stock alpha this year which I got about 500-600 miles on. I can tell you without a doubt, you will be happy with a stock alpha. They are phenomenal machines. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to one.

With that being said, I just recently purchased a silber turbo for my sled. Sounds like they had a few issues earlier in the year with mapping but its better now. Also, sounds like the clutching from cycles and sleds in Utah is a huge upgrade as well (that's what I'm going with). Quite a few guys in our group have been running turbos for several years now with very few issues. For most of them it is pull the rope and go. There are always things here and there. I don't need a turbo on the alpha, I just thing it will be an absolute blast. I won't argue that the turbo can decrease the reliability, because I know it can. However, many of the guys in our group that have ran them and have had issues couldn't even blame the turbo. It was usually a issue with the sled, and the turbo is easy to blame when your having a problem.

For myself, upgrading to the alpha for a year and riding it stock was a good move. It took my a while to adjust to the alpha and how to ride it. Adding all that power might have hindered me personally from the start. However, I am stoked to be running some boost next year!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I've pretty much been in the same debate with myself all year. As a flat lander, I take about 5 trips a year out west. As a result, when I go I really want to just ride. I had a stock alpha this year which I got about 500-600 miles on. I can tell you without a doubt, you will be happy with a stock alpha. They are phenomenal machines. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to one.

With that being said, I just recently purchased a silber turbo for my sled. Sounds like they had a few issues earlier in the year with mapping but its better now. Also, sounds like the clutching from cycles and sleds in Utah is a huge upgrade as well (that's what I'm going with). Quite a few guys in our group have been running turbos for several years now with very few issues. For most of them it is pull the rope and go. There are always things here and there. I don't need a turbo on the alpha, I just thing it will be an absolute blast. I won't argue that the turbo can decrease the reliability, because I know it can. However, many of the guys in our group that have ran them and have had issues couldn't even blame the turbo. It was usually a issue with the sled, and the turbo is easy to blame when your having a problem.

For myself, upgrading to the alpha for a year and riding it stock was a good move. It took my a while to adjust to the alpha and how to ride it. Adding all that power might have hindered me personally from the start. However, I am stoked to be running some boost next year!

Good info, I'm planning to pick up an alpha this weekend, and I also plan to ride it a winter and go from there regarding whether i'd turbo or not. I've also seen yeah people blame a turbo for issues that were not anything to do with the turbo anyways lol just funny how that happens.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I have a 18 and though fun to ride its no power house for sure i know question weather i can make it or not. turbos are great fun.The newer stuff has had issues for sure i plan to find a kit and make it my own . i'm not a fan of the ecu reflash ive heard bd has a kit that's got a controller and auxiliary injectors if true that's for me ill use a boost it box and develop my own set up off what i learned off of my last 09 set up i built. hopefully you guys like what you end up doing and good luck. Oh do your research

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
From BC, better take a good look at Redline Turbo’s. He’s got a ctec alpha ripping, different setups too. Low boost pump gas and higher boost setups. Customer service is great. I’m a happy customer for the Zuki setup, 7lbs on a 16

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Turbo

1000 miles on my Alpha with silber turbo. 6.5 psi and it rips! No issues whatsoever. Even ran the same belt, clutches run so cool and clean! So fun to ride. I mix my fuel with 40-50% av. I really beat the piss out of this thing. My favorite sled ever.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
1000 miles on my Alpha with silber turbo. 6.5 psi and it rips! No issues whatsoever. Even ran the same belt, clutches run so cool and clean! So fun to ride. I mix my fuel with 40-50% av. I really beat the piss out of this thing. My favorite sled ever.

Did you get the latest flash and did it clean things up for you?

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Did you get the latest flash and did it clean things up for you?

I have the second newest flash as of Jan 16 2019, I believe there’s one newer flash but mine runs so damn good I’m not messing with it!

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
Mine is sluggish on the bottom. I can't remember which flash I have but I switched up springs and am trying a 38/50 helix. I am going to get the newest flash and hopefully that takes care of all of my issues.

Premium Features