• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

newbie question and intro

M
Mar 20, 2019
I want to start this off with I'm sorry if this has been beat around and the search function for the form doesn't work in any of my browsers.

Im Mat from Washington and just picked out 2 nytros I am new to snow machine ownership, have just messed around on the flats with friend's machines, the problem child (minor problem) it is a 2009 mtx turbo from mcx installed in 2009 at the dealership with 2800 miles and the other one is a 2011 mtx supercharged from mcx installed at the dealer (no problems knock on wood) with 298 miles (guy bought it for his wife new scared her and never got back on it).

my problem I am having with the 09 is that after starting and the light going out it drops RPMs right away going from 1700-2200 at cold start to 900 to 700 then dies and then sometimes dies right after it fires up. But if I hold the throttle a bit it will stay up about 1200 and stay running. Does the throttle cable adjustment mess with the starting RPMs, I don't want to change stuff and not get to go back. 2nd question is I noticed that the plugs were a bit fouled and after the new ones there was a bit of black coming from the tail pipe and way to clean this out better besides jacking it up and getting into it.

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
Hi, I just picked up a turbo Nytro myself, not running but with a parts sled. This one had fouled plugs, got it to run here, but needs the turbo rebuilt.

I'd check for a boost leak first. , sounds like it could be running rich and you've got carbon coming out of the pipe from too much fuel, not enough air. That would foul plugs and affect starting/idle. Let me know what you find

M
Mar 20, 2019
Problem found, the tube running to the boost gauge had a hole burned into it causing the leak. After cutting the bad part out and re-installing it started normal and idles normal. Also at a higher RPM no soot or black coming from the exhaust.
Also whats a good place to upload pictures so i can post them here, i have also noticed not very many people update after the problem has been solved..... lame but glad this one is in the bag! thanks for the help i am super green to sleds and would not have know where to start

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
I've posted pictures, but I can't remember how I ended up doing it lol. Think I may have used my onedrive from outlook, can't remember.

Thanks for getting back with what you found, I've noticed that as well, not many report back, and this can really help others. I may have even forgot to a couple times myself, not a good habit. Glad to hear you've found the problem. I can't wait to get this Nytro I picked up out for a ride. Right now I'm too busy with other things to get it fixed up. next winter for sure though

Premium Features