• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Teal Green Chaincase Lube????

T
Mar 2, 2011
Idaho
Just brought home a 2004 RMK 800 and after removing the mufflers I was able to access the chaincase dip stick. Much to my surprise the lube is teal green. Never seen that color before. :face-icon-small-fro

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
That was actually common in those days. The Polaris synthetic was Purple and the Polaris Dino was a green. The synthetic would boil off / evaporate with prolonged high speed use (read; Iron Dog) so most of us that rode hard and were in the "Know" used the green Dino version instead.

Still have a jug of it here if you want it. I'm all belt drives these days. : )

T
Mar 2, 2011
Idaho
That is a huge relief! I though something was seriously wrong. Is it still available? My search for Polaris Dino came up empty.

I'd be glad to help clear some of your shelf space. What size jug do you have?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
That is a huge relief! I though something was seriously wrong. Is it still available? My search for Polaris Dino came up empty.

I'd be glad to help clear some of your shelf space. What size jug do you have?

They are 1 Gallon with the dealer style 1 OZ per stroke pumps installed. I found the Purple synthetic jug (estimating half full), I'll need to look a little harder for the other one.

It isn't actually called Dino, that's just slang to differentiate it from the synthetic or blended versions. FWIW

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
You can run all different types of lube in a chaincase. I've seen atf, gear lube, motor oil, hoist oil. It's just gears and a chain/tensioner that needs to be lubed to keep from binding and overheating.

Premium Features