• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dealer says I need a new head....

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
The oil injector line running to the clutch side head is leaking a bit of oil, I have put about 4 gallons of oil through the sled so far this winter, and I'd estimate it has leaked about a teaspoon.

The clear plastic line is securely fastened to the metal elbow, I believe the leak is between the left end of the elbow and the head, and based on the dealer telling me they will probably replace the head I'm assuming that elbow is pressed into the head and is not serviceable....

Pic of the leak with a pick tool pointing to the leak after I cleaned it,

And pic without the pick tool before I cleaned it,

I cleaned it with carb cleaner and ride it around the neighborhood then checked it again and there was no new leakage, I'll be putting around a meadow this afternoon with a nOOb rider so I'll check again after that.

But, I'm not to stoked on replacing the head, thats a lot of nuts and bolts to come out, and with every one of them there is potential for it to go back incorrectly.

I love the idea of a warranty, but I also hate the idea of anyone but me wrenching on my machines....

At any rate, has anyone else dealt with this oil leak?

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I had a leak last year on the RAVE shaft seals. Might be where yours is coming from as well.

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
If you are unsure off were the leak is ,clean it good with brake clean ,then blow a thin coat of baby powder on the area .You should see the path the oil is taken .

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
I need to pull the hood off this evening for a better look but I'm thinking mine is leaking far worse than that. Crossing my fingers it was just poor lighting.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
I need to pull the hood off this evening for a better look but I'm thinking mine is leaking far worse than that. Crossing my fingers it was just poor lighting.

Have you brought it up with your dealer yet?

I did ride ~20 miles yesterday after cleaning the the area, I still need to pull the head again and confirm leak location, but I'm pretty sure its the end of the metal elbow as that is the highest point at which there is oil...

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Well, I rode ~25 miles a couple days ago and I pulled the hood this evening and there is no new leakage, it was 25 easy miles for sure, mostly trail then bouncing around a meadow with a buddy that has never ridden a sled before.

I'm hoping the leak was from the clear line that is clamped onto the metal elbow, and maybe it being heat cycled a bunch of times has made it seal to the elbow properly. I'm going on a proper ride tomorrow, and assuming the snow didn't get hurt too bad by that miserable hot windy weather we had on Monday I'll be running the sled much harder than a couple days ago.

I'll update this thread with details on the oil leak when I have them...

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
Have you brought it up with your dealer yet?

After pulling the hood and looking closer I realize now that I was looking at an elbow that is below the Y-pipe. It's hard to tell if it has oil leaking or if it's just belt dust collecting in the area. I cleaned it and will monitor it the next couple of rides.

I included an pic similar to yours just for reference.

IMG_8439.jpg IMG_8441.jpg IMG_8432.jpg

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
After pulling the hood and looking closer I realize now that I was looking at an elbow that is below the Y-pipe. It's hard to tell if it has oil leaking or if it's just belt dust collecting in the area. I cleaned it and will monitor it the next couple of rides.

I included an pic similar to yours just for reference.

It does look a bit wet for sure.

I did ride ~35 miles yesterday, but have not pulled the hood to check for the leak again.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
How's the snow up there, seen a few good looking sledding ranges between Fairbanks and tok.. And some other north of Palmer on the road to tok..

Would love to go riding that way some time.. Looks like a blast

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
If you were wanting to fix it your self, you should be able to work it out with some pliers. Then reseal it with some green sleeve retaining compound.

Grab the elbow with vice grips and wiggle it out? Then coat with green loctite and stuff the fitting back in as far as you can? Maybe tap it back in with a drift and hammer?

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Last time I was out a month ago down the mine trail south of Cantwell is was great tree riding. Good enough we never made to the open mountains. I work a 4 and 2 and will be driving back tomorrow morning for hopefully a good two weeks off and some warm enough weather to ride.

Premium Features