• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing and SLP Intake Kit

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
Anyone used the SLP intake kit and does it help? It is the one that adds the two extra vents that open upon a vaccum condition in the air box and also the intake temp sensor relocate cable extension. I was also wondering what others do when changing gearing or drivers to correct the speedometer error...or just leave it registering incorrect.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Anyone used the SLP intake kit and does it help? It is the one that adds the two extra vents that open upon a vaccum condition in the air box and also the intake temp sensor relocate cable extension. I was also wondering what others do when changing gearing or drivers to correct the speedometer error...or just leave it registering incorrect.

I run a bdx intake with no issues cant comment on the slp but i have not heard any concerns. I believe the speedometer reads off the track shaft so gearing wont change it's accuracy.

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
You're right, gearing wouldn't affect it...changing drivers from 7T to 8T would though I believe. Anyone worry about the speedometer/odometer being off? Does the SLP kit clean up the occasional bog or is it gimmick?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have the SLP intake kit and air intake sensor relocation kit on my 2015 M8000. I put the kit on when the sled was brand new so I don't have experience with the stock setup. However, I have yet to experience any bogs when I am in over the hood deep powder. The sled pulls great all the time.

I had their intake on my 2009 M8 as well and it worked great as well. The two extra intake vents under the hood are there for when your external vents get plugged with the snow your engine creates enough suction to open the flapper doors and allow the engine to breath.

I believe the air inlet temp sensor is moved into the air box in from to the throttle bodies to get a more accurate temp reading (I.E. Cold Air). This is done so the ECU can program the required fuel more accurately than having it read the under hood ambient temperature with the pipe and engine heat creating high temperature false reading and not the true temperature of the air heading into the air box.

All in all, it's a well thought out kit. Even better is throwing their single pipe kit on and loosing all that weight and gaining horsepower. The best part about that is they provide a pre-programmed Power Commander that is fine tuned for the application so you don't have to mess with trying to dial in the fuel controller. It's set perfectly from SLP. Also, I saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico :) Just kidding I saved it by buying a Power Commander five (PCV) in the for sale area of this forum and SLP sent me an email file with their fuel program, which I uploaded into the PCV and all is well.

Sorry for the book but, I hope it helps.

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
Thanks for the input...I would say that if you have not experienced a bog at any time the kit must be doing something. I haven't had mine long but have experienced it a couple of times already, one of those at a time where you need it to go not bog. Thanks again, will probably look at installing the kit.

Premium Features