• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BYPASS THERMOSTAT UPGRADE (PREVIOUSLY $28 upgrade)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Ok I just read through every post from the beginning and there is one question that I have that had been asked that had never really been answered. Where do you find an aluminum washer that's 34 mm OD and 27 mm ID. I saw longhandle or who ever said they made them but does it have to be 27 mm ID? What if it was 25mm? Or 20? Is there one that that would work in standard measurements? Like 1" id? And does it have to be aluminum? Can it be copper or stainless steel? I have all the parts but this damn washer. My local hardware stores don't have it, I've called bolt and hardware suppliers, I've looked on line, I would like to know where all you found that washer. At one time it was said here they were being made for $10, I'm thinking that's the way to go. Please can someone give me some answers?! Thanks!

the washer acts as a restrictor to help control the coolant flow , I would think you could buy these as restrictor plates in an automotive speed shop

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
For anyone else wondering how well this works, I can tell you it does!!

I'm running a 163 / X3 and trail temps with "Ice Storm" scratchers down and a PDP long flap would be about 127 to 130. I did this and now trail temps with scratchers down are about 107 to 111. I'm not sure how much the longer flap really helps but it was on for both tests. I might actually try a shorter PDP flap next year and see how that works too. This long one can be a pain sometimes.

A

Alaskanparret

Nov 25, 2011
So honest question here,

I religiously let my pro warm up to 120 before it even moves. The one time i didn't do that I had a bog till it hit 120 it seemed. After that she ran fine all day long. Never has bogged on me since.

So my question would be, are there any cons of the machine running cooler, such as the trail temps of 107 as previously stated or ???

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I ran temps of 98 all last season (light engine load and in 2+" snow), no issues. Supposedly that is on the verge of too cool though.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So honest question here,

I religiously let my pro warm up to 120 before it even moves. The one time i didn't do that I had a bog till it hit 120 it seemed. After that she ran fine all day long. Never has bogged on me since.

So my question would be, are there any cons of the machine running cooler, such as the trail temps of 107 as previously stated or ???

What you experienced is cold pipe bog.
The pro likes a hot pipe.

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
I am considering doing this the upgrade to my 14 pro. I got a price of $130 for the complete kit from Rodgers Sport center in Wyoming. I am trying to save money but do upgrades that are worthwhile. Is this something I should seriously consider?

backman

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2008
I hear ppl saying this mod actually can bring engine temp to low when travelling in good snow conditions. Any truth in that?

Skickat från min D6503 via Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I hear ppl saying this mod actually can bring engine temp to low when travelling in good snow conditions. Any truth in that?

Skickat från min D6503 via Tapatalk

I don't thin so.

I've ran mine with this update and have been in crappy snow and good snow and it runs more consistent. Marginal snow, it runs cooler and in good snow it runs about the same. I'm very happy with this upgrade, so far.

For this season, I did change back to the short snow flap, so we'll see how this changes things.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I am considering doing this the upgrade to my 14 pro. I got a price of $130 for the complete kit from Rodgers Sport center in Wyoming. I am trying to save money but do upgrades that are worthwhile. Is this something I should seriously consider?

Yes, it helps stabilize temps and decrease warmup times.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
i gutted my stock t stat and used the remaining ring and rubber gasket for my seal, instead of silicone and no more leaks.

TRS you should get the 2013 snowest inovation award, theres alot of members on here that would hav went bald from pullin thier hair out without this fix, i bought a tied , several springs, weights,and helixes tryin to fix a power problem and in the end it was a 45$ fix...

tks man

jeff

07d690e9382fa23dccc35ed5cc2ce2ed.jpg

I gutted mine to this. Also running the lip up as per stock as looks like the coolant goes up the case into the heads and up thru the housing.
3f9731b97e15fa939b901ebb59cb7dfa.jpg

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
i just done this to my friends 2013 swtbck .

I plumbed in the BRP T mixing valve just like the picture and write up .

Due to limited access to fittings , I left the front cooler intact and plumbed in as is .

The system works very good , just as advertised in the opening statements of this thread .

breaking trail below 20 mph temps at 105

loose packed trail below 30 mph temps at 118

loose packed trail above 30 mph temps at 107

ambiant temps above or just at freezing ,heavy wet clammy snow

Took a brp renegade out on back to back run and it ran 25 degrees higher than the polaris , temps are extrolated due to the BRP use of bars vice numerical value

very good mod highly recommended

I also used pre mix besides the engine oil pump

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
A sort of bump for the thread but I found this off Terra alps site, they claim to have tested the T-stat flows and comparing to their own... but it does go to show you how little the stock T-stat flows, that said however who knows how many liters in a minute the stock pro flows but 11L in a minute isn't much so I'd take a good guess that it would move more than that for sure. That being said the doo t-stat certainly is much better than stock and the price is great.

"We flow tested our Terra Alps thermostat, the stock Polaris stat, the stock Skidoo XP stat and another companies. We soaked the stats in 130'f hot water til stats were open then flowed 130'f hot water thru them for 1 minute recording how much they flowed. The Terra Alps thermostat flowed 33.4L of water in 1 minute, the stock XP stat flowed 26.05L in 1 minute, the stock Polaris stat flowed 11.3L of water in 1 minute and the other brand flowed only 11.85L in 1 minute. The Terra Alps Racing thermostat kit flows 3 times more water then stock thermostat and runs cooler. Making more HP!"

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I run the terra alps unit, works great. I see 98-110 for temps most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Premium Features