• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electronics and Transceivers

906wildchild

Lifetime Membership
Sep 14, 2015
UP Michigan, Helena Mt
**I'm sure that this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find any old threads.**

My question is, what electronics are safe to be on near a transceiver? I've heard mixed answers on cell phones, some say OFF, others say AIRPLANE MODE, and some don't worry about it at all. Are GPSs okay to have on? SPOT? Anything else that may disrupt the signal?

I've asked this question at Avalanche awareness classes and have yet to get a solid answer.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
the short answer is no electronic near a transceiver is acceptable. the reason you get different answers is that each transceiver model is affected differently. bca has the least affected transceiver on the market but that comes at a cost. they also have one of the shortest receive ranges.

personally, i keep transmitting devices a minimum of 8" away from my transceiver when transmitting/sending and i try for 12-20" when receiving/searching. searching while on your running sled is not going to end well.

electronic devices that are not sending/searching a signal will interfere less than ones that currently are. metals, especially magnets con be problematic. several manufacturers use magnetic on/off switches and people have inadvertently turned off a transceiver with magnetic closures in jackets.

also consider where you keep your devices on you. if you get pretzeled up in a slide will your leg pocket end up near your other electronics in a chest pocket. there are a lot of ways/places to wear a transceiver including pockets and harnesses. inside a backpack is a bad place for a transceiver unless you're at the bar. it's too easy to become separated.

i know i'm starting to drift but i hope you're question is somewhat answered. if not, there are some good resources online to check out. steve achelis with www.beaconreviews.com has a lot of good info and specifics on different models/brands. yours will be in there too.

Y
Oct 18, 2010
Marquette MI
This article is related and has some good info.

https://backcountryaccess.com/electronic-noise-and-what-it-means-for-your-beacon-2/

At a beacon training one day the BCA rep had me put my beacon on search mode, and then quickly move my cell phone close to it. Most of the time it caused the beacon to indicate on my phone, proof enough for me to keep my phone off when in avalanche terrain.

My personal practice is I keep my phone in airplane mode the majority of the time, but if the handle of my airbag is out (meaning there is an avalanche risk), my phone is off.

Premium Features