• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Google Earth

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
First step is to be able to get the data off the GPS into a useable file (Either KML or GPX, i prefer GPX. Less data, but it's a lot more manageable).

Ahh, I think I'm starting to see the light! My past experience is coming from using National Geographic's TOPO software. This is the only app I've ever needed to dwnload waypoints and tracks to see where we went...but I think I'm already seeing the benefit of the "overlay" files in GE.

So then what do you use to get the tracks off the GPS? Shouldn't GE do this and then allow me to save it off as a KML? Kinda like how it does with waypoints from the GPS? Am I still missing something??

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Ahh, I think I'm starting to see the light! My past experience is coming from using National Geographic's TOPO software. This is the only app I've ever needed to dwnload waypoints and tracks to see where we went...but I think I'm already seeing the benefit of the "overlay" files in GE.

So then what do you use to get the tracks off the GPS? Shouldn't GE do this and then allow me to save it off as a KML? Kinda like how it does with waypoints from the GPS? Am I still missing something??

how do you get the .gpx file??

is open-source multi-platform, but it's not as straightforward as LoadMyTracks/EasyGPS.

All of the above is free software.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
1. Ride, take GPS with you. Make sure logging is turned on.
2. Get home, unpack, connect GPS to computer and download data through ^ software.
3. Take GPX/KML data that ^ software pulled out of the GPS, then drop it into Google Earth.
4. Enjoy Google Earth's goodness.
5. ???
6. Profit!

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
got it! EasyGPS was the piece I was missing. thanks for the pointers!! I don't have any cash to pay you the consulting fee, but I can send you a numbskull t-shirt. PM me to see the two styles to choose from.

whitney.jpg

Last edited:
K
Dec 2, 2007
West Kootenay
Have you noticed that the Ladybird, Russel Lake area in BC was taken in the winter.

You can see some of the nasty cornice work.

But you can't see the road in the meadows and such. But it is a totally different perspective compaired to the standard green trees and such.

Thunder

I noticed that last year, if you zoom in just enough and look at the right angle you can actually see the highmarks from that seasons sledding! One thing I've wondered is lots of guys say they ride Russel from Ladybird, but on GE it looks pretty intense to get into there, how is the actual ride in? Never tried it myself but one day I plan on it.

For any computer geeks out there with too much time on there hands you could put a file together showing where and when all the avy deths from the past few years have occured.

It is pretty easy to see the avy paths are in areas at treeline and below. I am sure one day GE will have a feature showing the slope angle with some kind of hatch overlay. Another possibility would have a overlay with the terrain rating (simple challanging, complex) with another overlay with the current avy forecast that you could use with the avulator to plan on where you will ride that day

Y
Jan 29, 2008
Newberry, MI
Snotel overlays....linky clicky has destructions and everything

with Rino, get the Mapsource topo, and then you can enable path tracking on your unit, and then just click on upload...then click view, then view in google earth..and it will give you similar image to what I posted...

Very nice! There is also snow info on noaa.gov for those that don't know.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/ Click on 3D Visualization on the left and the choose the date you want under the Snow Analyses Overlays. It will then ask you to Open or Save this file, click Open. Winzip pops up, double click on the file and GE should start automatically.

On GE, click View on the top and make sure sidebar is checked. Then you can change between differrent items.

There is also the Snow Reports and Stations, haven't played with that much, but it appears to have the same info that snotel does.

Last edited:
Premium Features