• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Alpha No Start...kill switch "fix"

A
Nov 9, 2016
So i have just over 9 hours on the Alpha, cant go back to my 15. amazing sled, but i went to go start it up today and no start. I noticed my kill switch felt frozen in the off position, as its been around 30 degrees up until today. well i checked all the obvious, tether plug, stuck fuel pump, key was on, etc. i even turned the kill switch on and off maybe 500 times. I started disconnecting handle bar switches and voila, sled started right up after disconnecting a blue/black wire. went to hit the kill switch and nothing. plugged it back in and the sled shut right off. So if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere and your sled wont start....try that plug. its the smaller black connector above the coolant bottle. wondering if its worth taking back for warranty when they'll just replace it with another bad kill switch. I wouldnt think the contacts on the inside would have come off of the switch itself? not going to tear it apart to find out.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Parts do fail, just because one went bad doesn't mean your next one will. I would have it warrantied and if you have a problem with it you know the fix. Thanx for the heads up, might save someone a nightmare of a tow out!

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
Parts do fail, just because one went bad doesn't mean your next one will. I would have it warrantied and if you have a problem with it you know the fix. Thanx for the heads up, might save someone a nightmare of a tow out!

hes not the only one with this issue. been a few posts where guys got home and sled wouldn't start...put it in garage, thawed and it started. guessing this is probably the issue.

A
Nov 9, 2016
hes not the only one with this issue. been a few posts where guys got home and sled wouldn't start...put it in garage, thawed and it started. guessing this is probably the issue.

I wonder if it is. maybe a guy could put some dielectric grease or something inside the switch, just don't know what the inside looks like.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Tieton,Wash
I don't know how the switch is positioned but it seems like the early skidoo Xp
Did this and people were rotating the push button switch to sit vertical instead of horizontal on the bars

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
I wonder if it is. maybe a guy could put some dielectric grease or something inside the switch, just don't know what the inside looks like.

I try to do this to all connections I can access. Something the factory should actually do when assembling.

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
They aren't cheap, but the Munster momentary kill switches are tits. No more accidentally hitting your kill switch on a climb, and they seem to be way more water proof than stock kill switches of any brand.

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
I am so happy this forum exists. My dad's Alpha wouldn't start this weekend. That sleds sat in the trailer overnight after riding and his wouldn't start Sunday. I recalled this thread and warmed up the kill switch. It finally fired over. Screen shot of the post with the wiring plug so I don't have to do that again.

Has anybody talked to a dealer about this?

A
Nov 9, 2016
I am so happy this forum exists. My dad's Alpha wouldn't start this weekend. That sleds sat in the trailer overnight after riding and his wouldn't start Sunday. I recalled this thread and warmed up the kill switch. It finally fired over. Screen shot of the post with the wiring plug so I don't have to do that again.

Has anybody talked to a dealer about this?

so...it was -15 at the cabin this weekend, and i went to start my sled up and when it fired up it ran half throttle right into my 15 m8000. the spindle basically jammed itself into my alphas intake and shattered the front end....so..A. the TSS did NOT do it's job. B. throttle cable was frozen and it was uncoiled right before where it enters the throttle block thus causing the half throttle.. C. i had the kill switch unplugged because it went bad So i couldnt pull the tether in time. What are my options here? None of this would have happened if the TSS did its job, and i tested it after I unplugged the Kill switch to make sure it works and it is not on the same circuit and worked. I talked to my dealer and he said he has heard of the kill switch failing, we will see if it will be covered. needs a new upper lower intake plenum, left side hood piece, bumper, and throttle cable.

20190106_152502-1280x720.jpg 20190106_152509-1280x720.jpg 20190106_202422-567x1008.jpg

B

Boondockingak

so...it was -15 at the cabin this weekend, and i went to start my sled up and when it fired up it ran half throttle right into my 15 m8000. the spindle basically jammed itself into my alphas intake and shattered the front end....so..A. the TSS did NOT do it's job. B. throttle cable was frozen and it was uncoiled right before where it enters the throttle block thus causing the half throttle.. C. i had the kill switch unplugged because it went bad So i couldnt pull the tether in time. What are my options here? None of this would have happened if the TSS did its job, and i tested it after I unplugged the Kill switch to make sure it works and it is not on the same circuit and worked. I talked to my dealer and he said he has heard of the kill switch failing, we will see if it will be covered. needs a new upper lower intake plenum, left side hood piece, bumper, and throttle cable.

Sorry to hear that man. Sounds like your alpha was jealous of the old love relationship with your ‘15.... keep us up to speed on dealer support, who was your dealer

A
Nov 9, 2016
Sorry to hear that man. Sounds like your alpha was jealous of the old love relationship with your ‘15.... keep us up to speed on dealer support, who was your dealer

sure will, ERPAC, i know a few guys there. If Cat won't cover it I'd at least want to buy the parts at cost. Just wish I checked the throttle, will make sure i make it a habit in cold temps. I'm kind of lucky, it could've flew into the woods and totalled it, or It could've hit something or someone more valuable. didn't leave a scratch on those A-Arms though..... would've hated it too be glued together!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Takes a pretty decent impact to damage that cable housing.
Do u recall what caused that damage?
From that angle, i would assume it was from the riders body?

A
Nov 9, 2016
Takes a pretty decent impact to damage that cable housing.
Do u recall what caused that damage?
From that angle, i would assume it was from the riders body?

I thought about that too but I would have figured i would notice the ride before when i parked it. I only noticed the damage after the hit so i couldnt say. it gets dark around 430 pm right now so it was dark when I came back the night before. I was even being a little cocky that the sled started in two pulls in the morning instead of 10 like my dads polaris. well she started all right!! shows me. Next time I'll strap the tether to my long johns.

Premium Features