• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ascender platform shorter?

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I’ve been going back and forth on what to buy for next year. I’ve looked at a high country 141 (because I’ve always like the shorter tracks), a hardcore 153, and of course an alpha 154. I noticed something interesting on the website. A HC 141 is listed at 131” total length, a hardcore 153 is 132.3”, and an alpha 154 is also 132.3”. The HC is on a proclimb chassis still I believe. What did they shrink up to make the overall lengths virtually the same with a longer track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I’ve been going back and forth on what to buy for next year. I’ve looked at a high country 141 (because I’ve always like the shorter tracks), a hardcore 153, and of course an alpha 154. I noticed something interesting on the website. A HC 141 is listed at 131” total length, a hardcore 153 is 132.3”, and an alpha 154 is also 132.3”. The HC is on a proclimb chassis still I believe. What did they shrink up to make the overall lengths virtually the same with a longer track?

I think the wider a arms go further forward.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho

It wouldn't surprise me if the 141, 153 and 154 tunnel back halves were all the same dimensions. They all seem to have different part numbers though, so that may not be it. If not, the 141 probably just has more tunnel extending over the track than the 153/154 do.

For reference, the Alpha 154 tunnel is cheaper though, by ~$5 over the HC 141 and ~$10 over the 153.

I know the old 1M 159s ran the same tunnel back half as the 162" King Cats.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
18-19 hc 141, and 153 have different length tunnels, and are the ascender platform with new body work. the difference is 4" Ski

corrected my previous post, after purchasing a 153, and 141, and was able to measure by myself. Ski

Last edited:

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
The High Country is also available in a 153" track and is listed as 132.3" total length.

So Id is probably right that the 141 probably just has more tunnel over it. It just got me thinking that if the 141 and 153/4 is basically the same length, I wouldn’t notice a difference going to the longer track. Decisions, decisions, decisions

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
So Id is probably right that the 141 probably just has more tunnel over it. It just got me thinking that if the 141 and 153/4 is basically the same length, I wouldn’t notice a difference going to the longer track. Decisions, decisions, decisions

You'll notice the difference on the ground, just not the tunnel. We put 153s under the old 144 tunnels all the time.

You could get a track and suspension (really just rails) for each length and swap them out depending on what you wanted.

C
Sep 19, 2010
2016 the High Country started to get a shorter tunnel on the 141. The 153 HC has a longer tail section. As well the High Country does not have the dropped case, narrow boards or the same side panels. It’s not the same as the mountains sleds.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
2016 the High Country started to get a shorter tunnel on the 141. The 153 HC has a longer tail section. As well the High Country does not have the dropped case, narrow boards or the same side panels. It’s not the same as the mountains sleds.

Yeah, I knew there were definite drawbacks, I’ve just always preferred the more nimble feel, lighter weight, and being easier to get airborne in the shorter length. Also, unless I’m wrong, they only do the 2.6 powerclaw in a 141 and not a 3. I’ll probably just have to bite the bullet and get use to the longer track/sled.

daknapp

Premium Member
Aug 29, 2013
Adirondacks, Northern NY
I have a '14 800 141" High Country that I installed a Track USA rail extension kit on and 153" 2.8 Camso track. The '14 High County has a noticably longer tunnel, presumably build on a 153" chassis, than the '18 M6000 141" that I purchased last year. That disappointed me because I made the purchase thinking I could go back and forth between a 141" and 153" rail / track setup depending on where I was riding. Here in northeast New York 141" is typically fine but for Wyoming or Gaspe Quebec I would want a 153".

Side-by-side the 153" HC rear suspension seems to be longer than 141" M by the diameter of the rear wheel assembly.

I'm still considering lengthening the 141" and just debating on whether to do the rails / track initially...and the tunnel extension if necessary later ?

...decisions, decisions...

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
You are basing a buying decision on cats spec's on their website? You could be buying anything really, nobody knows. Especially not cat. Just buy the 154 Alpha forget the Specs.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
You are basing a buying decision on cats spec's on their website? You could be buying anything really, nobody knows. Especially not cat. Just buy the 154 Alpha forget the Specs.

I'm not basing it on their specs, I was just looking at them to see dimensional differences, and had a question. I'm basing my buying decision on what I want, and if I could have exactly what I want, it would be an Alpha in a 141ish length. And yes, I'm sure most people reading this are now asking why, but it doesn't really matter because it is what I WANT that matters when it comes to MY sled. I've been riding sleds since my dad put me in front of him on his sled when I was about 10yrs old and I'm now 43, so I know what I want and why. I can explain the why if anyone is interested but most people probably could care less. This thread was created because I saw something in the specs that made me wonder but has now been explained. Thank you to those who are helpful on here! NO THANK YOU to those who think they understand what I was asking but in reality didn't have a clue.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I'm not basing it on their specs, I was just looking at them to see dimensional differences, and had a question. I'm basing my buying decision on what I want, and if I could have exactly what I want, it would be an Alpha in a 141ish length. And yes, I'm sure most people reading this are now asking why, but it doesn't really matter because it is what I WANT that matters when it comes to MY sled. I've been riding sleds since my dad put me in front of him on his sled when I was about 10yrs old and I'm now 43, so I know what I want and why. I can explain the why if anyone is interested but most people probably could care less. This thread was created because I saw something in the specs that made me wonder but has now been explained. Thank you to those who are helpful on here! NO THANK YOU to those who think they understand what I was asking but in reality didn't have a clue.

You clearly didn't pickup my sarcasm. The arctic cat specs on their website are a joke. They are still advertising changes from 2015 as new for 2019. That is all I was saying. Didn't mean you didnt know what you were looking for in a sled.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Why do you want a 141"?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Premium Features