• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

C-tec 2 pump gas turbo

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
first off thank you JJ for giving some good PR !
I do have to ask you say put in the 3 psi spring. this would be great if your kit for the cat had a external gated set up. the cat kit is IG and your instructions and kit have no reference to how or provide a spring for this. Can I get the 3 psi spring for my 2019 mt cat 8000 kit? love your engaged and don't wish to push you off just looking for post to help others.
any news on the last fuel map update? glad reverse showed up on my second flash.

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
Hello everyone,

We will be adding a quick video on how to adjust the boost on the Internal Gate Silber CTec Kit.

Shorten rod = more boost
Lengthen rod = less boost

The internal actuator only allows the boost to get around 4 psi at the lightest preload setting.

We expect there to be a few map updates throughout season, we are always striving to perfect our system and tuning. We highly suggest ordering the reflash cable from us, this will allow users to download the newest map without removing and mailing in the ecu.

Please feel free to contact us anytime with questions or concerns.

Thanks
Justin Silber

J
Jan 12, 2017
SK
Lots of info on Silber so far, which is great and I'm kind of leaning that way now. I like the idea about the octane booster as it is still quite simple and readily available, av fuel is somewhat accessible for me I believe, but octane booster just seems easier. Anybody else using octane booster vs av fuel? Comparisons of each? Can anybody chime in on experience with the Boondocker Sidekick kit?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Fair. But the good part about a Silber setup is you aren't retuning for octane. We honestly haven't played with octane boosters for a long time.

The tuning variation was not due to octane, but fuel density. Av gas tends to run leaner (less dense) and race gas tends to run richer (more dense) than 10% ethanol from the pump. I would have to move my top end boost numbers as much as 2-3 points depending on the mix. Using the octane booster is all about consistent fuel density and the sled running the same from day to day.

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
Be cautious about what actually boost the octane in the octane boosters. Most are an alcohol based booster.

I've ran av gas that was 10 years old, ZERO ISSUES. It is a GREAT fuel. The FAA can't be having planes falling out of the sky because of a bad batch of fuel. Use it in your summer toys for winter storage, and in your winter toys for summer storage. Lawn mower, weed eater, saws, wood splitter, snowmobile, classic car, ect. It will not go bad, it is very consistent, and it is readily available. Go to the airport with a 5 gallon jug, tell them it's for your Rotax ultralight, pay the man and walk away.

Alcohol goes bad. There's documentation proving octane boosters are subpar compared to the better fuel, BUT they do work. It's convenient, and easy to get.

Don't forget, It cost to play....

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
The tuning variation was not due to octane, but fuel density. Av gas tends to run leaner (less dense) and race gas tends to run richer (more dense) than 10% ethanol from the pump. I would have to move my top end boost numbers as much as 2-3 points depending on the mix. Using the octane booster is all about consistent fuel density and the sled running the same from day to day.

You aren't wrong, but your math isn't adding up when it comes to just how big of a differential AV to pump really is either.

Pump gas is around114,000 BTUs/gallon
AVGas is 12,500 BTU/gallon

So the energy density delta is about 1%.

This is not something that requires a different tune, at least with Silber's setup. This is one reason the ECU reflash is so brilliant. It can dynamically adjust to changes such as this without any issue. If it sees the burn (through EGT) as being a hair lean, it adds that 1% fuel back to the curve.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: just reread your post. 10% ethanol gas is actually the same-ish energy density as av gas (111,800)

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
Guys,
While I realize what I am about to say is not on a c-tec I will give you my experience with the Silber on an axis. Yes that is an external wastegate but mapping is mapping. Silber’s map is very close and the sled runs hard, we have 4 of them in our group and as the themps fluctuate with altitude and load any of the 4 may det at least once during the day wI th straight 91 non ethanol. Add a couple gallons of Av and all issues go away period, if you can tell the performance difference in the btu’s of the fuel you are better than anyone I have ever rode with. With a little av in the tank these things are pull and go no worries period. The only issue I have ever had is when it gets into the 40s when riding they are fat, not unrideable fat but burp it before you pin it fat. I have an Alpha in the trailer now and will be putting a Silber on it later in the season and I have no doubt I will be mixing Av for it.

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Not trying to be argumentative, just informative here on the fuel stuff.

Yes, Av gas and race gas generally achieves octane via additional refinement. This is going to be the best quality.

With the octane booster, I specifically use one that is boosted with MMT. This is also used in some race fuels. MMT will not degrade unless directly exposed to UV for prolonged periods of time. Agree that alcohol based octane boosting is not good and can lose it's boosting capabilities after a short period of time.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Hello everyone,

We will be adding a quick video on how to adjust the boost on the Internal Gate Silber CTec Kit.

Shorten rod = more boost
Lengthen rod = less boost

The internal actuator only allows the boost to get around 4 psi at the lightest preload setting.

We expect there to be a few map updates throughout season, we are always striving to perfect our system and tuning. We highly suggest ordering the reflash cable from us, this will allow users to download the newest map without removing and mailing in the ecu.

Please feel free to contact us anytime with questions or concerns.

Thanks
Justin Silber
Justin,
I see that the cable is 299 and the ECU reflash is 500. Does that mean the when a new reflash comes put the cost for an upgraded reflash is 500 whether you purchased the cable or not? Or do you get the latest reflash as a purchaser of the turbo kit and the only cost is 299 for the cable assuming one goes that route? Or is it 500 plus 299 to reflash at home?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Justin,
I see that the cable is 299 and the ECU reflash is 500. Does that mean the when a new reflash comes put the cost for an upgraded reflash is 500 whether you purchased the cable or not? Or do you get the latest reflash as a purchaser of the turbo kit and the only cost is 299 for the cable assuming one goes that route? Or is it 500 plus 299 to reflash at home?

Everyone who buys a turbo gets a reflash. You do not buy this in addition to the turbo kit.

If you want to flash from home, then you need to buy the cable too. Otherwise, you can send in your ECU or visit one of our reflash centers throughout the country.

Hope that helps!

J

EDIT: If you do not purchase a turbo kit from us, and are looking for a flash (say if you bought the kit second hand) then you'd be correct. $500 for the flash and $299 for the cable.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
JJ thanks for keeping up on input. I do have a question about when new flashes are available is there any way to know when the latest is out? show the version on your site? and how to know what version I have? I deal with this in the auto world and all I have to do is hook up my programmer to the pc portal and it will update whats new.

Thanks!

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Rode mine for the first time yesterday. Pump gas, pull and go. All I can say is awesome.

N
Oct 15, 2018
How man you pounds of boost? Why no external waste gate? Now you need a boost gauge.

My dealer gave me this tip, plug a vacuum pump with a gauge into the boost reference line leading to the wastegate. You can measure what boost your gate is set at (or what you adjust your manual boost controller to if you plug the pump in upstream of the controller) without plumbing in a boost gauge. $40 at an auto parts store. I haven’t tried it yet but it makes sense.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...000/4534326?q=Brake+bleeder+vacuum+pump&pos=0

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
What elevation were you riding at?
Start at 8000ft and ride up from there. The sled had a bad bog at first. When you let off the throttle and then got on it again. It would fall on its face then come out of it and pull the skis up. Could not figure it out. Happened at around 4300rpm and went from there. Halfway thru the day changed my plugs. The old ones didn't seem that bad. Had last years fuel in it and a gallon of new avgas. With the new plugs and down to 1/4 tank of fuel it seemed to stop. Ripped a line in and out of the throttle and the hesitation seemed to disappear. Will know for sure next ride full of fresh fuel and new plugs. When it came to life it was great. Really helped with the baseless snow when needing that extra punch

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Start at 8000ft and ride up from there. The sled had a bad bog at first. When you let off the throttle and then got on it again. It would fall on its face then come out of it and pull the skis up. Could not figure it out. Happened at around 4300rpm and went from there. Halfway thru the day changed my plugs. The old ones didn't seem that bad. Had last years fuel in it and a gallon of new avgas. With the new plugs and down to 1/4 tank of fuel it seemed to stop. Ripped a line in and out of the throttle and the hesitation seemed to disappear. Will know for sure next ride full of fresh fuel and new plugs. When it came to life it was great. Really helped with the baseless snow when needing that extra punch

New versions of pull the rope and go?

Premium Features