• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

C-tec2 oil?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Is anyone running a different oil in their C-tec2?

I don't want to drive 180miles tomorrow to pick up oil if other people have been successfully running any other oil.

I have several gallons of oil that i have been running in all my sleds since 2006. I can't see this electric pump being much different as far as capabilities compared to the old manual pumps.

Mountain Cat

WY_Covert

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2017
Wyoming
Is anyone running a different oil in their C-tec2?

I don't want to drive 180miles tomorrow to pick up oil if other people have been successfully running any other oil.

I have several gallons of oil that i have been running in all my sleds since 2006. I can't see this electric pump being much different as far as capabilities compared to the old manual pumps.

Mountain Cat
https://www.oildepot.ca/2-stroke-oil-cold-flow-test-amsoil-vs-ski-doo-polaris-arctic-cat/

For what it's worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I have had great luck with amsoil and redline synthetics. They mix just fine with any manufacturer brand synthetic oil.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I have been running different oil in my wife’s 600 CTech since 2015 with no problems. My brother is a Skidoo dealer so I can get their oil for free so I have ran it in all my sleds since 2005 without any problems at all. Haven’t had enough snow to burn all the Cat oil out of my 800 Ctech yet this year but will run the Skidoo oil in it when the time comes. You aren’t going to hurt it running a different oil and they can’t deny a legit warranty issue because you weren’t running their oil. Heck Cat has change oil at least 5 times in the last 10 years. I’m not an oil professional but have put a lot of hard mountain miles on a lot of sleds over the years and have not had a single motor problem since the wide spread piston issues in one year of powder special, and have never really run Cat oil except for what the dealer puts in it when new.

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I have been running different oil in my wife’s 600 CTech since 2015 with no problems. My brother is a Skidoo dealer so I can get their oil for free so I have ran it in all my sleds since 2005 without any problems at all. Haven’t had enough snow to burn all the Cat oil out of my 800 Ctech yet this year but will run the Skidoo oil in it when the time comes. You aren’t going to hurt it running a different oil and they can’t deny a legit warranty issue because you weren’t running their oil. Heck Cat has change oil at least 5 times in the last 10 years. I’m not an oil professional but have put a lot of hard mountain miles on a lot of sleds over the years and have not had a single motor problem since the wide spread piston issues in one year of powder special, and have never really run Cat oil except for what the dealer puts in it when new.

Not really oil related BUT. If you can get ski-doo oil for free because your brother owns a ski-doo dealer. WHY do you ride a cat? Wouldn’t you have a much better deal from him? Just curious I also ride cat but would like to know your answer for future argument purposes with ski-doo riders lol

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
looking at the facts(tech sheets):

AMSOIL:
Kinematic viscosity @ 40C: 29.9 cST
Pour point: -56C

Ctec:
Kinematic viscosity @ 40C: 26 CST(thinner than the AMS)
Pour point: greater than 40C(so actual point unknown)

I will run the Ctec in my sled just because of the fact that is designed to run in that motor. And its locally available

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Not really oil related BUT. If you can get ski-doo oil for free because your brother owns a ski-doo dealer. WHY do you ride a cat? Wouldn’t you have a much better deal from him? Just curious I also ride cat but would like to know your answer for future argument purposes with ski-doo riders lol

He rides a Cat also:face-icon-small-hap His dealership is a rental dealership only. I could still get a sled if I really wanted but there is no way I would ride a ski-doo. They just have never built a sled that is predictable and is able to do what I want it to in the trees. Maybe if you deleted t motion, cut the floppy edges off the track etc etc and got used to the stupid handlebars etc etc. Ski Doos rental program is better for what he does so it makes business sense but his personal sled is always a Cat. He could take any one of his 850's when he goes riding but would much rather ride a Cat. I could give you a list of 10 more things I/he doesnt like about the SkiDoo but its pointless to bash with people when they have spent 12K because their sled will always be the best in their mind. I obviously have the ability to ride an 850 anytime I want and have spent time on them helping them break them in every year. I will say the 850 is better than the T3 but its still a Skidoo. Many people love that "Skidooness" and thats why they ride them. I do not love them.

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
Ctec Oil

I run the Ctec oil in my 600. It doesn't use enough oil to bother changing to somthing else for the $. Plus it smells good! I crack the bottle open in the summer just to remember.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
180 mile drive for me to get cat oil.
If that wasn't the case i would not be asking.
I can order it and have it shipped but not today.

Mountain Cat

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Every manufacturer wants you to run their oil, so they make more money. Does anyone believe that the Cat oil has some super secret formula? If they sold gas they would recommend you only run their fuel also, or maybe only their air...

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
If they sold gas they would recommend you only run their fuel also, or maybe only their air...

psshh

I only run aftermarket air. Setup for my weight and riding style.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Good to hear. I love legend and have 3 gallons that I didn't want to walk away from.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Premium Features