• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-doo factory bulkhead fix?

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Great post. I would have bought a snow bike to if I had no snowmobiling skills. ? I've never heard of anyone warranting anything that involved human error.

I rode the backcountry on sleds for over 20 years. I have reasonable skills. The bike is easier. There is no debating that. Several years ago, I had the opportunity to ride two Ski Doos for a day each. One was a 174 and the other was a 154. I liked them both very much. They were easy to ride. Perhaps the problems that are being reported are not endemic problems with the 850. As with the Polaris problems that were reported, there were far fewer of them than one would have surmised from the posts. However, there were problems and they were significant enough that Polaris had to do something about it. A $5,000 bulkhead replacement is no small matter. If they truly have a problem, I was simply stating that I hope that they take care of the owners who put their hard earned money down for the sleds. Ski Doo is a good company with good products. I presume that they will address the problem.

My 16 Axys had a brake alignment issue that occurred with a few of them. Before I ever rode it, Polaris paid for the dealer to fix it. it required a major tear down to replace the plate. I assume that it was a $1,000 fix with the labor involved. It might have been more than that. My post above was simply hoping that Ski Doo will do the same if it is necessary. Perhaps it only involves a few sleds and not the whole model year run.

J

jsenske

Sep 7, 2012
UP Michigan
There may be a few issues with this sled and I blew a belt at 164 miles. I hope I have no bulkhead issues. One thing I can say is I love this sled hope the few issues get taken care. Even with the issues I have no regrets with this sled and everybody who tries it absolutely loves it. I came off an older 2012 pro

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Just seen this posted today on s&M gen4 forum , great news too hear as far as I am concerned>>>>>>>>

Well I just got off the phone and some most excellent news from Riverside and BRP.
BRP has recognized that there are more broken bulkheads than are acceptable.

The repair cost for the modules and installation will be covered by BRP - I did the damage and rightfully the cost anything else will be mine.
This is exceptional news and will do wonders for the G4 and the rebuilding of the sled's reputation of durability and corporate backing.

I don't think there was ever a moment were performance was in question.
It is just dam fawkin great that there is sunshine o the horizon provided by BRP.
And a huge huge thanks to Corey that got this pushed through.
YOU DA MAN FOR SURE!!!!!

Puts a ton of faith back into BRP and how the future of the G4 will progress.
I would say take your cases to your dealer - I hit a rock and that falls on abuse and my fault.
What support a person gets will invariably depend on each case but there is definatly hope.

I am a reborn believer in BRP.
No I will not put out a video and no I will not throw doolaid at everyone.
We got two guys or that already.

I am so happy I'm gonna knock off work early and celebrate at the wife's expense!!!!

The performance of the sled is just killer and now it's got some backing.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

At the end of the day it will only be as weak as it was. How are you going to enjoy that sled if you are paranoid to ride it and hit something again?

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Can you straighten skis like that one damaged?

I don't think so, but I was trying to illustrate that I hit the stump hard enough that it damaged the ski but not anything else, when other guys are hitting stuff and breaking the cast. Probably just got lucky I guess

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I don't think so, but I was trying to illustrate that I hit the stump hard enough that it damaged the ski but not anything else, when other guys are hitting stuff and breaking the cast. Probably just got lucky I guess

Your not the only one. I hit a rock while sidehilling, went over the bars and didn't damage anything except the ski. It looks similar to yours.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Your not the only one. I hit a rock while sidehilling, went over the bars and didn't damage anything except the ski. It looks similar to yours.

Maybe the problem with the bulkhead is not design but rather manufacturing defects?? Could they have cooled some castings too fast and made them brittle and yours was done correctly?? That would be nice because BRP could easily fix the process but a redesign takes a lot of time.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
What is the BIGGEST problem?

1) Brittle, weak Bulkheads?

2) Dry, powdery snow that has no base?

3) Everyone getting their new sled, and wanting to ride this deep, bottomless powder, and hitting landlines?

Ace

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
What is the BIGGEST problem?

1) Brittle, weak Bulkheads?

2) Dry, powdery snow that has no base?

3) Everyone getting their new sled, and wanting to ride this deep, bottomless powder, and hitting landlines?

Ace

If it was just dry powder with no base, you would think Cat and Polaris bulkheads would be shattering too, but they are not. Take the Doo goggles off and you can see the problem more clearly. Cat and Polaris have their own problems too, I am not saying that they don't.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Maybe the problem with the bulkhead is not design but rather manufacturing defects?? Could they have cooled some castings too fast and made them brittle and yours was done correctly?? That would be nice because BRP could easily fix the process but a redesign takes a lot of time.

That's what I was also wondering. I still have my swaybar hooked up as well. It stopped the sled almost dead in its tracks so it really surprised me when it didn't at least have a crack.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
That's what I was also wondering. I still have my swaybar hooked up as well. It stopped the sled almost dead in its tracks so it really surprised me when it didn't at least have a crack.

Sounds like a bad bunch as far as the casting. That would explain why some crack with a light hit and others don't.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Sounds like a bad bunch as far as the casting. That would explain why some crack with a light hit and others don't.

I'm guessing it's a design issue. If it has the same weakness as the XP/XM, which it sure seems like it does, the modules break with less than expected force when a ski that is isolated in a carve hits a fixed object. The leverage is transferred through to the a-arm mounts and the modules break without any damage to the a-arms. I'm guessing they carried over the same engineering design from the XM when designed the G4 modules. Doo may be willing to warranty when the modules are cracked and there is no other damage to a-arms, spindles or skis, but they are never going to issue a general warranty policy or recall for modules, because they aren't breaking under normal use, and the rate of failure is likely close to the same as the XMs. According to my dealer, who has no need to lie to me (I already bought a G4, and I worked through the '08 XP first year sled issues w/ this dealer, which were way worse), and he says that's the case. I'm throwing the GnR braces on mine to help with the isolated ski scenario. They don't the have time or resources to test the efficacy of their solution, but it seems sound enough to me to make the investment. If my modules break after the install, I'll use my insurance.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Rode with a guy this weekend that has a G4. He said he was at the dealer and they had a broken bulkhead in the shop, They hit it with a hammer and it shattered like glass into tiny fragments.

This is what worries me about these parts.

I think there's a flaw in the material or the casting.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
This is what worries me about these parts.

I think there's a flaw in the material or the casting.

If it's a materials issue, why aren't they failing when guys are hucking huge cliffs and bashing bumps at full speed? Also, anybody else notice that the incidence of these "material failures" has declined precipitously with the growth of the snowpack?

You hit a rock with any Doo and it's gonna be costly (probably more so than any other brand). That's nothing new. What is new is this sled rips. Way more fun to ride than an XM. The vast majority of owners are having no issues. Begs the question, why so many haters?

Motodrew

Lifetime Membership
Evs4VIsh.jpg

:smow::violin:

Premium Features