• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upper Steering Bushing / Bulkhead (OFT Racing Fix)

Motodrew

Lifetime Membership
I recently took delivery of my 2017 REV GEN4 Summit X. I’ve been fairly impressed with the fit & finish of the machine until I came across this problem. While analyzing the steering stem, it’s mounting points, & bushings it quickly became obvious something wasn't right.

Within the parts microfiche, this part (#1010) appears to be labeled upper half-housing. It is the ONLY mounting point for the upper section of the steering stem. This is a place that receives a large amount of rider input that has been transferred through the handlebars. Even with 0 miles I already noticed the bushing has spacing and is a little sloppy.

Upon further investigation a major design flaw is identified. The purpose and functionality of this bearing is designed to have a bolt on both sides of the steering stem to keep it tight. However, the exposed housing clearly shows that a bolt cannot be used through the front hole. (SEE PHOTO) The cast upper frame is not designed to accept both bolts. I’m extremely disappointed that Skidoo felt that the one bolt would suffice as a component to rider input and essential machine control. You can easily move this bushing up/down by hand. I'm worried that over time, this will become a weak point which will only lead to additional slop.

f1Bkwg5h.jpg

I sent the above writeup to Skidoo. This is their reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP.

In response to your request the new design has been through vigorous testing and that it's not something that has been forgotten or left out reducing parts, reducing weight where it is not needed and maintaining the strength of the unit is key .This also reduces vibration and feedback to the rider. If you need more explanations, please contact your dealership.

I didn't find this to be a sufficient response. In order to find a solution, I called Rick @ OFT Racing. He quickly got the groundwork running to offer a solution. A prototype was rushed out to me and we test fit the following replacement prototype bushing.

I can't thank Rick @ OFT Racing enough for quickly responding to this request and creating the immediate fix! As you can see, the sunken allen bolt will allow the front side of the bushing to be tightened and then slid back into position within the bulkhead. If you feel you are a rider that will test the limitations of the stock setup, OFT Racing now has a production solution available! Lower steering bushings are available as well. With both, there is absolutely no slack in the steering. The only movement that can be felt now is the flexing of the steering stem itself. :rockon:

5sk6bZK.jpg

attachment.php

bushing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Very nice find!
Sure looks like Skidoo forgot to add a bolt.

Looks like a good cold day and some ruff bumps are a recipe for disaster.

If not than it is not typical of Skidoo fit and finish.

J
Nov 13, 2015
Sweden
I must say it is strange!, I was complaining on the prototype we saw here in Sweden and got message this should have been adressed on the production sleds from Norona. Feeling is like Arctic Cat slack or??

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Is there any reason you couldn't just drill two counter sinks into the stock bracket and install an allen head bolt and nut with a starlock washer on the other end?

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
Is there any reason you couldn't just drill two counter sinks into the stock bracket and install an allen head bolt and nut with a starlock washer on the other end?

There are two main problems here. The plastic blocks are designed with a sleeve the floats in the bolt holes of the plastic blocks that is not part of the plastic. This is designed so the bolt tightens down on the sleeve not the block. All sleds have this same design, so there's no real way to keep the front of the stock block clamped with the chassis blocking the hole. What you described is essentially what we did with the front hole on our billet blocks but since they are solid you can just clamp them together.

The second problem is every sled uses metal 360 degrees around the post to retain the post in the event of a block failure. For example the XM has chassis on both sides with a bolt through each metal sleeve. The cats, Polaris Pro Ride and Axys have chassis on one side two metal sleeves with bolts and a metal plate between the two bolts on the back side. The problem with the Gen 4 is there is nothing but plastic keeping your post in so in the event of a hard impact it can break the post right out.

Last edited:

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I must say it is strange!, I was complaining on the prototype we saw here in Sweden and got message this should have been adressed on the production sleds from Norona. Feeling is like Arctic Cat slack or??

Has not been an issue. Nothing like arctic cats slop. I really can't wait till guys can ride their sleds and stop inventing theory's on how it is not going to work!:face-icon-small-dis

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Has not been an issue. Nothing like arctic cats slop. I really can't wait till guys can ride their sleds and stop inventing theory's on how it is not going to work!:face-icon-small-dis

Maybe if Ski Doo wouldn't have let you go out parading and posting pictures of you and your 12 VIP people as the only ones who got to ride an 850 for more than 3 minutes last year, these guys would have better stuff to do...

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009

Well it is a issue on the prototype. What changes is done to the steering from the prototypes? They had alot of slack in them! Anyway the design looks poor, even for ordenary people.

The oilite bushings in the oft steering block i find to be a bad design. It was drying out all the time in my Nytro. Even the a arms bushings lasted half a seasson before drying out.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
Well it is a issue on the prototype. What changes is done to the steering from the prototypes? They had alot of slack in them! Anyway the design looks poor, even for ordenary people.

The oilite bushings in the oft steering block i find to be a bad design. It was drying out all the time in my Nytro. Even the a arms bushings lasted half a seasson before drying out.

We have never manufactured A Arm bushings.

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
Thank you for your opinion. Good thing guys like Chris Burandt, Dan Adams, Brett Turcotte, etc don't agree. You are literally the first time I have heard that. I'll send you some new bushings for your nytro if you'd like.

Just remember (dont forget) those who actually pays for your stuff. I had plenty oftRacing stuff on my Nytro, and was super happy with most of them. The oilite bushings to this application was a week point in my experience (nytro). This is old news as i got new bushings from you years ago after i told you about this. Second time i was even told to let it sit over night in synthetic oil.

Take it for what it's worth, from a no name rider. It may be that i was unlucky with my bushings. Anyhow when the Ulmer a arms oilite bushings was the same, my oppinion has been this.

Just to prove me wrong i may order this kit after i have inspected my sled when/'if' i get it.

Thanks

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
SkiDoo makes nice products..but I doubt we'll ever see them make a quality block like this... just not in the corporate budget.

I get stuck a lot... and rolling the sled to get it unstuck is part of my daily ride.... this one looks like it will hold up to the strain that rolling puts on the bars...the stock one, not so much .

Last edited:

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I just got off the phone with the head engineer as I asked him about this to put any concerns to rest.
This part has been the same in xp, xm and now G4, it is true that there is no bolt in the front section, but as he states it is not needed, there is a aluminum insert with the bolt and that is where the strength is needed. He has absolutely no concerns and says "the part these guys have made is very nice and they have done a great job but what is in there from factory is strong and he has no worries. He also stated like I did, that he will be pumped when there is enough snow for people to ride these sleds as it will take all this deep thinking away. Again not saying this part or design is not cool, but like always I am eager to save the consumer from spending money that is not needed. If you think you will need this part of course you should buy it. cheers dave

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
I just got off the phone with the head engineer as I asked him about this to put any concerns to rest.
This part has been the same in xp, xm and now G4, it is true that there is no bolt in the front section, but as he states it is not needed, there is a aluminum insert with the bolt and that is where the strength is needed. He has absolutely no concerns and says "the part these guys have made is very nice and they have done a great job but what is in there from factory is strong and he has no worries. He also stated like I did, that he will be pumped when there is enough snow for people to ride these sleds as it will take all this deep thinking away. Again not saying this part or design is not cool, but like always I am eager to save the consumer from spending money that is not needed. If you think you will need this part of course you should buy it. cheers dave

Is there any changes from the prototypes ?

C
Oct 28, 2010

I see it's not a safety issue but the slop kind of bugs me.

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
Is there any changes from the prototypes ?

I'm not really taking a position on this currently either way but I did notice some of those prototypes found their way into some silly situations. I wonder if a few too many love taps against trees/obstacles may have contributed to this?

I did notice the steering had a noticeable "clunk" on the prototype but it's not there on either our new g4s.

Premium Features