• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine problems

B
Jan 13, 2010
I went out riding this weekend and my motor ceased up!! Lots of aluminum on one plug and the gap has been pushed down. I can move the crank about 6" either direction so I'm thinking the crank is ok and there's something gone in the top end. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I haven't had the time to look at it yet and am trying to figure out how much this is going to cost me

Thanks

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
You can pull the cylinders off to inspect the damage. If your 900 is a 2005... your lucky the cyl's can be removed alone. If it's a 2006 you will have to pull the engine first.
Once you can see the pistons and the extent of the damaged to the top end it will be easier to determine what you need to repair / replace.
It's a pain, but I think it's well worth your while to completely disassemble and inspect the engine. You would hate to put a fresh top end in, and find that a chunk made it into a crank bearing!
Personally I would just pull the engine, and check everything
Good luck and sorry to hear about your downtime.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
No its not all that bad, just keep track of where all the bolts go and your golden. You will need a ford style fuel line disconnect tool available at most auto parts stores, otherwise it's basic tools.
Do you have a shop manual for your sled?

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
Tell us what model you have please!!!!!!!

Same symptoms to my '04 800 VES 2 weeks ago. One piston wasn't moving, so I assumed broken rod.....Was a shock to pull the cylinder and what did I find: An exhaust valve broke, came into the cylinder and broke the piston in half - I had a top half and a bottom half.....Wrist pin was kinda still with the bottom half, so crank rotated until it hit the broken off top half....

T

TGitt

Feb 16, 2009
Logan, Utah
Must have been a bad weekend for us 900 guys, my engine seized up as well. I got it tore apart yesterday and the lower connecting rod bearing on the mag side went. That might be something to check for. I got the engine all but out (still messing with fuel injection, never pulled something with that so if you have any tips let me know). Crank, case, cylinder, and piston are all fine, so i'm guessing I will just have to have my crank rebuilt and it should be good to go.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Must have been a bad weekend for us 900 guys, my engine seized up as well. I got it tore apart yesterday and the lower connecting rod bearing on the mag side went. That might be something to check for. I got the engine all but out (still messing with fuel injection, never pulled something with that so if you have any tips let me know). Crank, case, cylinder, and piston are all fine, so i'm guessing I will just have to have my crank rebuilt and it should be good to go.
Disconnect the fuel injector wiring from the ECU, the connectors on the injectors are glued on very well. Leave them alone if you can.
Use a ford style fuel line disconnect tool to separate the fuel lines.
Anything else?
Dan

T

TGitt

Feb 16, 2009
Logan, Utah
Disconnect the fuel injector wiring from the ECU, the connectors on the injectors are glued on very well. Leave them alone if you can.
Use a ford style fuel line disconnect tool to separate the fuel lines.
Anything else?
Dan
That should be good. Thanks!

B
Jan 13, 2010
No its not all that bad, just keep track of where all the bolts go and your golden. You will need a ford style fuel line disconnect tool available at most auto parts stores, otherwise it's basic tools.
Do you have a shop manual for your sled?

Yes I do have the shop manual I have been studying it a bit

B
Jan 13, 2010
Tell us what model you have please!!!!!!!

Same symptoms to my '04 800 VES 2 weeks ago. One piston wasn't moving, so I assumed broken rod.....Was a shock to pull the cylinder and what did I find: An exhaust valve broke, came into the cylinder and broke the piston in half - I had a top half and a bottom half.....Wrist pin was kinda still with the bottom half, so crank rotated until it hit the broken off top half....

It's a 05 900

B
Jan 13, 2010
I finally pulled my engine out and looks like I'm in for a lot more bargained for. Mag side piston exploded punching a 1"x1" hole in crank case. So looks like I'm going to have to find a cheap engine somewhere

Piston.jpg Crank case.jpg

R
Nov 20, 2009
yep bad weekend for the 9's my motor popped too, just sat down to take the seat and tank out and see what's the damage of mine too. :face-icon-small-fro

W
Jan 5, 2010
Another bad 900

I also lost the right side piston and possible other damage on the mag side cylinder. Smashed the spark plug shut but the motor still ran on one cylinder. Had lost it two weekends ago; and just got it to the dealer on saturday. Just another list of problems with this terrible machine. Thank god for buying the three year extended warranty. 2006 900 rmk 166

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
well guys that sucks. really i dont see how it has so many problems. i took mine apart and rebuilt it got about 150 miles on it and runs like a top. if a 16 year old can do it so can you!! :face-icon-small-hap

R
Nov 20, 2009
well guys that sucks. really i dont see how it has so many problems. i took mine apart and rebuilt it got about 150 miles on it and runs like a top. if a 16 year old can do it so can you!! :face-icon-small-hap
doin it isn't a problem....it's poppin the motor is the problem..doh'! I plan to rebuild it and beat on it some more, I got to put 989 miles on with it with 4 trips to the upper Michigan trails. (1 trip was just to get away and pulled the sleds out and parked them for 90% of the time....too many "snow bunnies" around!) :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features