• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 gearing question

B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I have a 2009 M8 162" Sno Pro, I installed the RKT head and shim kit and also installed a 11" STM secondary clutch, now correct me if Im wrong but I geared my machine up by adding a larger diameter secondary clutch correct?
It certainly has good track speed but when I get off the track into the powder she seems to slow down real hard.
any thoughts on what gearing I should go to?

TIA

B

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
The 11" secondary is like gearing down the DD but only on the bottom end. The top end speed or top end track speed shouldn't be affected by the larger secondary. The loss of speed when leaving the hardpack could be caused by a ton of different things but I would guess that the secondary spring you have is to stiff. When you lose track speed going in to the powder the secondary is backshifting really hard and essentially putting the sled in a lower gear. The STM is using torsion springs and I have had the best luck with the red and white. I would play with different secondary(helixes and springs) and primary configurations(both weight and spring) before you jump into regearing the DD. I'm sure you know but only make one clutch change at a time.

Last edited:
Premium Features