• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HIGH COUNTRY HANDLING????

bigchevrolet

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
northern mn
Guys I have become accustomed to the Polaris pro ride chassis and handling characteristics. I'm not a die hard cat fan or Polaris fan. All I know for sure is I loved how predictable the Polaris is. I've never ridden a newer cat other then my 13' f100turbo. Im looking at picking up a 18 141 high country 800. How do these handle. Do they like sidehill easily? instantaneous ski lift? I ride in the Midwest and a short track just doesn't cut it most places. Im not looking to ride wheelies across the lakess to show off for my buds bud more so when ripping through swamps rivers and beaver damns and skis up will make for a smoother ride. Let me know your thoughts or comparison on the sidehilling characteristics of a 141 high country vs a pro ride Polaris if you have ridden both thanks

ArcticChat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2014
If you get a 2016 or newer High Country you will not be disappointed in my opinion. I had one and loved it even though it was a 600. The 2016+ got the new front geometry which makes off trail riding a dream compared to the previous front end. I personally thought my 2012 M8 sucked sidehilling but my 2016 HC and 2016 M8 feel like an entirely different sled off-trail. I've ridden Polaris Assault Switchbacks in the Pro Ride chassis and really like them as well I feel like they ride very similar to a High Country. I like the Powerclaw track and the Cat motors better than the Polaris track/motor which is basically the only reason I'm on a Cat vs Polaris. I could ride either and have a blast.

Last edited:

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
I was in your same shoes, bought a 2018 hc 8000 ltd estart… other than the flaming issue after a pull, I love it.

it needs some attention to get the suspension right for you so, you will spend some time on the front and rear adjusters.

I swapped to Polaris gripper skis, and found, they need more ski pressure for trail purpose, or they push pretty good in tight twisties.

even with the sway bar, it gets up on one ski for a side hill pretty easily. for real offtrail, or mountain riding it would probably be better for a quick disconnect, or total removal of the sway bar.

the low end and mid range grunt is ALOT BETTER THAN THE Suzuki motor it replaced. the new team clutches with the roller bearing are great for creeping around at low speed, low rpms without burning a belt, or trenching.

I am thoroughly satisified with the purchase, trying to talk the mrs into upgrading to one as well. Ski

Last edited:

bigchevrolet

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
northern mn
I was in your same shoes, bought a 2018 hc 8000 ltd estart… other than the flaming issue after a pull, I love it.

it needs some attention to get the suspension right for you so, you will spend some time on the front and rear adjusters.

I swapped to Polaris gripper skis, and found, they need more ski pressure for trail purpose, or they push pretty good in tight twisties.

even with the sway bar, it gets up on one ski for a side hill pretty easily. for real offtrail, or mountain riding it would probably be better for a quick disconnect, or total removal of the sway bar.

the low end and mid range grunt is ALOT BETTER THAN THE Suzuki motor it replaced. the new team clutches with the roller bearing are great for creeping around at low speed, low rpms without burning a belt, or trenching.

I am thoroughly satisified with the purchase, trying to talk the mrs into upgrading to one as well. Ski

What were you riding before?

Premium Features