• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Side panel melting

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
Just FYI... More fuel on a gas motor drops combustion temps, lean raises them. Diesels are just the opposite.

It should actually run lower egts during break in.

lots at play during break in...extra fuel, oil, restricted rpm, timing ... unburned fuel in combustion chambers and inefficiency were seeing hotter temps melting plastics.
My buddy's 2018 was a flame thrower

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Friend's Gen 4 ski-doo melted the right hand panel a little too last year. Stock can and all. We ask for narrow side panels and this is what we get I guess.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
I have always ran vented side panels by http://www.2coolairvents.com/
and AC vented hood panels on my last handful of Proclimbs and they keep the underhood heat down so much I have a helluva time getting my burrito hot enough to eat throughout the day!

I have side panel vents coming for my Alpha but have not checked to see AC offers the hood panel vents yet.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Friend's Gen 4 ski-doo melted the right hand panel a little too last year. Stock can and all. We ask for narrow side panels and this is what we get I guess.

Yeah, they're getting to be virtually shrink wrapped. I figured the stock can would be the coolest with all the insulation for sound deadening. It probably just takes longer to get there and once heat soaked is close to a lot of stuff.

T
Aug 23, 2013
Melted mine at top of muffler first ride. Added 20+ layers aluminum tape on inside

Attachments

• 1C57A887-C27B-4A5E-910B-ECAC526A7D71.jpeg
    1C57A887-C27B-4A5E-910B-ECAC526A7D71.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 120

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Melted mine at top of muffler first ride. Added 20+ layers aluminum tape on inside
Use this.
Much better than plain aluminium tape
b2e529369f5622b5e98580b5d1a70f2b.jpg

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
I have always ran vented side panels by http://www.2coolairvents.com/

and AC vented hood panels on my last handful of Proclimbs and they keep the underhood heat down so much I have a helluva time getting my burrito hot enough to eat throughout the day!

I have side panel vents coming for my Alpha but have not checked to see AC offers the hood panel vents yet.

I run the ac vented panels on mine
3e96e84bd3b997527f235d6f450275a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
mine has a turbo so it didn't fit perfect in the hole so just re riveting the deflector about 1" forward cured it.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Saturday was a real deep day with lots of long WOT. I could smell melting plastic a couple times but have looked it all over and can see no heat damage other than that from my original post. I had added more heat tape to anything close to bare exhaust pipe. Still running the stock can.

eatsnow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2008
I had my Alpha out last weekend all stock. Couple feet of new snow. Melted the side panels, exhaust valve cables, throttle cable, and dealer said it roasted all the grease in the recoil starter. Now on hold with arctic cat customer service because they are saying parts are backordered. Love the sled but this is a deep powder mountain sled we shouldn't HAVE to get a can to avoid this issue. I have a 2018 M8000 with a can and it had no issues no melting was fine riding in the same conditions. Pretty annoyed right now.

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
Had a cpc can on my MC last season with zero melting.

Silber turbo this year and it melted wire looming, zip ties, side panel foam, AND MY PULL ROPE!

Cobra cord is stout, k.o'd the outer jacket, but the plasma rope core held. Jacket got cought in the recoil eventually preventing it from returning in.

Last edited:

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Had a cpc can on my MC last season with zero melting.

Silber turbo this year and it melted wire looming, zip ties, side panel foam, AND MY PULL ROPE!

Cobra cord is stout, k.o'd the outer jacket, but the plasma rope core held. Jacket got cought in the recoil eventually preventing it from returning in.

My cobra pull rope did the exact same thing on my sled today. Melted down where it goes into the engine. I had to start my sled with a rope on my clutch all day. no turbo, I think my stock can did it

Premium Features