• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Machine shop may have found the belt problems

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
The Fixed sheave had .027" of variation, the movable had .008".

That is the plan for this weekend, the dealer is going to set up their demo with the new clutching that they receive, not sure how many they are going to bring but with mine and theirs we will definetly get a good comparison with me and the dealer being able to both ride each sled and compare the differences if any.

Probably doesn't matter but if you checked the movable sheave on the sled it is not going to be a true reading of the sheave face.
On the sled it rides with some clearance from the bearing to shaft as well as the tolerance allowed in the bearing installation.
You would need to check it off the sled in a special jig or with the bearing removed to use that surface.

Just thinking from a machinist's point of view.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
I think it would be in their best interest to offer some type of solution plan that will be implemented into the 2018's before April 15th. My group of riding buddies that are wanting to snowcheck have put that thought on HOLD until I hear more positive changes so I feel warm and fuzzy that all is going to be OK. One guy already jumped shipped for a Poo. But hey, its only a few of us so if we don't get doo's this season, no big deal. However, the "other side" brand may be the brand for us to continue to buy for yrs to come.

"While the majority of 2017 850 E-TEC owners have had no issues, we always strive for no issues for all owners. So 2018 sleds will have:

Finned fixed pDrive sheave
Revised clutch calibrations
New belt
New gearing (Summit and Freeride)
Revised PTO and MAG engine mounts
Better cooling in CVT compartment

We are still looking into the issue for 2017 850 E-TEC owners."

-Ski-doo on Facebook

They are looking for a solution to the 2017 sleds so really patience remains key. I give props to Ski-doo as I always do, yes. They have not left any 2017 owners out to dry and you will most likely see a fix just judging by the sounds of their comments.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
OK
If that is the case then WHY have I NOT had to change out a single belt on one of my three 850s??

Christopher. You can't have all the problems to yourself lol. Don't be selfish eh.

Question. What elevation do you ride? Do you ride at a speeds with the belt higher in the primary very much?
Some have said higher elevation sleds have less issues. Belt rides lower in the primary with less HP (higher elevation equals lower HP before somebody attacks lol).

Maybe the answer to a belt burner is gear up and stay away from maximum wobble.

Funny to even say that but when someone forces you to work in a weird new fangled box sometimes it's good to think weird too.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
OK
If that is the case then WHY have I NOT had to change out a single belt on one of my three 850s??

Not on the Trail
Not in the Trees
Not on the Mountain.

If it is a mechanical defect or design flaw, then ALL OF US should be seeing the same problems across the board, and the hard cold reality is, WE ARE NOT.

There IS some manner of Rider Involvement in the equation of why the belts are blowing.

Please don't mistake this for me saying there is absolutely NOTHING going on mechanically, that is NOT what I am saying nor suggesting. But I am saying the one "X" Factor is the rider himself. Are sleds are IDENTICAL for all intents and purposes, but the riders vary wildly...

Weren't your sleds in the shop being repaired most of the winter :) how many miles on them even?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
"While the majority of 2017 850 E-TEC owners have had no issues, we always strive for no issues for all owners. So 2018 sleds will have:

New belt

-Ski-doo on Facebook

They are looking for a solution to the 2017 sleds so really patience remains key. I give props to Ski-doo as I always do, yes. They have not left any 2017 owners out to dry and you will most likely see a fix just judging by the sounds of their comments.

Don't they really HAVE TO at this point? And,,, you really won't know until next season if they even did.

They must have learned something about "customer feelings" from Cat's '12 fiasco and the end result. Didn't work so good for them.
They promised a fix, even gave everyone a new belt, but in the end they didn't fix because all the dealer got was a sticker and some shims.

Eventually it will all work out though as it has for Cat. Now they just need to get some dealers back.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I think it is time for me to install a CLUTCH TEMPERATURE GAUGE and get some REAL WORLD INFO to log and share...

Scott did a great write up on his install on the RazorBack unit with photos etc.
Check it out if you haven't already.

I think it would be great for you to be able to post accurate info on temps on the G4's specifically...and one on Chris's turbo sled too.

Last edited:

New belt

-Ski-doo on Facebook

These are all band aides. Current owners have done much of this. I want some type of realistic solution. Like I said, I personally need some answers by April 15, not the same fixes they said would work for the XP back in 08

N
Jul 29, 2015
Am I the only one to notice that the 850 has 2 cylinders and the vibration from each firing would need 2 opposite offsets on the clutch to match each cylinders pulse???

I'd does have "2 offsets" as you call it. The fixed sheave has a .026" wobble. That means .013" wobble towards the engine and .013" away from the engine. Lol. Those events are 180 apart.

I think you need to read the skidoo's description a little bit better. Then internalize what it means and apply it to how a two cylinder two stroke engine fires.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Scott did a great write up on his install on the RazorBack unit with photos etc.
Check it out if you haven't already.

I think it would be great for you to be able to post accurate info on temps on the G4's specifically...and one on Chris's turbo sled too.

I will contact Razorback and get one for the Turbo Sled.

https://www.razorbackusa.com/

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Weren't your sleds in the shop being repaired most of the winter :) how many miles on them even?
Yup.
All 3 sleds had their different days in the shop.
Honestly don't know how few miles I have been able to rack up.
But I will go out and tally the odometers.

C

cheater35

Mar 10, 2011
Brainerd, MN
I checked my runout on my fixed sheave today. It was at .021" and I have 750 miles on it and am still on original belt. So pretty close to the .024" they are mentioning in the posting. I don't think the clutch heat pertains to the runout. It is to inconsistent. JMO

D
May 24, 2012
New engineering solutions for old and existing sleds

The question now will be, who will be the first to offer a "TRA 7" conversion for the 850?
I bet it wont take long before we see the first beeing remachined if possible.

Funny, I was thinking the complete opposite. New engineering solutions for old and existing sleds sounds like a better idea.

P
Feb 2, 2013
well what a big disappointment... I waited all summer for a recall on my belt burning short track gen4 only to find out BRP only came out with "updates"... 17 owners can have their dealer install at the owners expense.... what a joke when you ask the dealer if they came out with a recall for burning belts and get told that they never even heard of an 850 burning a belt... but then had no answer when I asked why the 18 were different then.

P
Feb 2, 2013
I don't even want to use my 850 anymore since I know I will just burn up more belts @ 250$ a pop... 3800km and now on belt #5... I wish I had never brought in my 15 on a trade in.... I could do at least 2500-3000 kms on a belt with my 15 mxzx800.

Premium Features