• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many carry a GPS and or radio when riding?

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
Currently we have a spot and a basic gps for marking way points. We're upgrading to a combo gps/radio as I seem to keep getting lost in the bush! :eek:
We spend a lot of time in the tight trees and I had one bad stuck that I could not get out of...(riding with a destroyed ACL didn't help...) we were all pulling different lines around an area that we had a fire in...all within a certain area so we knew where we all were...didn't matter. I was within 50 feet of everyone looking for me and 100ft from the fire...guys rode by about 20 feet away...couldn't see me. The trees muffled the shouts and whistles...any sled in the area blocked out sounds. I finally had to work my way down to the trail, follow it and hike up to the fire...I could hear them, they couldn't hear me. They couldn't believe how close I was and how noone could find me. It made us realize that we can lose each other even in that small of an area when we're just bootin' around the fire! It became a bit tense as it was getting dark...

Ps...I'm not allowed to wear all black anymore :rolleyes:

S
Oct 4, 2009
I carry a Peep and a rino radio everywhere! If I leave my house the becon and radio are with me. I also always ride with a Abs avalanch pack. I keep my becon in a pocet of my chest protecter and my radio in my avalanch backpack.

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
Dana and I got Garmin 530's last year.Have not used them much(we never get out of each others sight) but they are very cool and work well.Been learning the features over the summer so hopefully we will use them more.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Graveler, if you remember right I had the radio on the handlebars and when we rolled her back up she'd popped out of the mount, but my cord/ tether had kept it still attached to the sled. :p

Brandy,
These are great little numbers..I just clip one end on my pack and the other end loops onto my rino:

I plan to keep mine on..so I can use both options, we're looking into running an outlet to mine so I don't eat through the batteries...nothing sucks worse than when you are trying to map a route and the batteries die mid way!

I use those too for my tether. But I want a good hard mounting system. Even on my body, I don't want it flopping around.

Do you have the 530? I have been able to get 2 full days of use out of them before the battery starts to die.

Premium Features