• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

where/how do i find 100ll fuel

H

HOTRODREDNECK

Oct 28, 2008
COLORADO
I have a buddy that is getting a turbo installed and was told he should run 100ll. we checked centennial airport here in town and they wont sell it to us. I know a lot of guys are running it so I was just looking for some help. any ideas???

W
Nov 26, 2007
Bay City MI
Tony I get it from the airport in Longmont, they will sell it here. Try a different/smaller airport if there is one close. I also have a friend who is a pilot and has a plane here so he can get it if they refuse to sell to me. I guess it depends on where you go. I know that Quint gets it from Longmont as well. Good luck!

H

HOTRODREDNECK

Oct 28, 2008
COLORADO
thx i'll pass it on. we need to get a ride or two in this yr. as long as the loco crew will let the boyz from the hood ride with'em:face-icon-small-coo

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I have a buddy that is getting a turbo installed and was told he should run 100ll. we checked centennial airport here in town and they wont sell it to us. I know a lot of guys are running it so I was just looking for some help. any ideas???

I would highly advise against 100LL. I ran that for about 1/2 a season and it absolutley totally 100% killed my bottom end. Yeah its cheap, but you'll wonder why you were ever running 100LL after you try a 50/50 mix to get 100 octane rated.

Also, if its a "PG" kit (at least without a high compression head) if you want to be safe go buy clean 91 and then mix 10% 110 Sunnoco, you'll run fine all day on that.

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Airnav

Here is the site we use.
http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html

I always like to call before we show up some do say no so we just move on and call the next place. I typically show up with a 55gal drum in the trailer and pull right up to the pump after checking in with the attendant. We've had great success running LL. Our turbo sleds love it.

M

milo303

Sep 16, 2011
Littleton
Yup, av gas isn't made for high rpm motors. There's a lot of people who don't understand that, and I think it's because people say they run av gas... And don't mention that they mix it with race gas. Or do what Dogmeat says here..

I would highly advise against 100LL. I ran that for about 1/2 a season and it absolutley totally 100% killed my bottom end. Yeah its cheap, but you'll wonder why you were ever running 100LL after you try a 50/50 mix to get 100 octane rated.

Also, if its a "PG" kit (at least without a high compression head) if you want to be safe go buy clean 91 and then mix 10% 110 Sunnoco, you'll run fine all day on that.

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Without starting this debate again there are lots of wives tales supported by little to no facts surrounding 100LL. But if you're really interested if or how well it works there are some VERY good performance sled shops in the state of CO. My suggestion would be to talk to them.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I've run 100LL straight and mixed on 2 different turbo Pro's with no issues. I'd be surprised if it cause you to lose your bottom end, but I've been wrong before. What lead you to believe it was fault of the fuel.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've run 100LL straight and mixed on 2 different turbo Pro's with no issues. I'd be surprised if it cause you to lose your bottom end, but I've been wrong before. What lead you to believe it was fault of the fuel.

Pretty simple really. Sled ran a hell of a lot better and had a lot crisper throttle response on 50/50 than 100LL :)

If all you do is meadow bash or hill climb, sure, run 100LL, but if you ride technical stuff you want throttle response, and the 100LL totally killed what bottom end my TM8 had badly.

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
I've ran (and still run)100LL for years on boosted and non boosted 2 and 4 strokes (boats, bikes, rails, aircraft). No issues whatsoever on any 2-stroke. And no detonation. I won't burn anything else unless it's a stock 4-stroke. 100LL still has lead and shouldn't be used in stock, low compression, newer 4 strokes because the lead builds up residue on the valves and then you lose compression because valves don't close. (Yes, I've done that before. Lol).

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I misunderstood what you meant. When you said killed your bottom end I thought you meant you actually damaged a bottom end of your motor. I'd agree if you are running to much octane for the boost levels you are running it can take away from the bottom end/throttle response.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I misunderstood what you meant. When you said killed your bottom end I thought you meant you actually damaged a bottom end of your motor. I'd agree if you are running to much octane for the boost levels you are running it can take away from the bottom end/throttle response.

Ohhhh hahaha yeah, no it didn't damage it at all ..... leaded fuel is safe for a 2 stroke.

I mean really my opinion on 100LL is that if you're running a hill climber or something that doesn't matter if it takes a little time to rev, its a great choice because its about 1/3 less per gallon than a 50/50 race gas mix is.

But yeah, you do lose throttle response with it on the low end.

I ran it on my cat @ 14 psi and wound up having a lot better luck with the 50/50 mix, even with the '10 head on the sled.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I'm curious where the science is that 100ll is bad for a 2-stroke as well. I know some guys that are in the area that are known for their ability to tune a sled, are very knowledgeable.

M

milo303

Sep 16, 2011
Littleton
I don't know the specific science...

I'm going by what my sales guy at Hill Petroleum told me.. He travels all over the country going to classes on fuels etc, but he is no scientist.... Sometimes office jockeys get it wrong

He says av gas is designed for lower rpm motors and will not work properly in high rpm motors and that's when race fuels come into play.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Here's a quick google search

http://forums.everything2stroke.com/threads/6404-Racing-Gasoline-Verses-Aviation-Gasoline

I just glanced over it... I don't see a real REASON as to why avgas isn't good for high rpm motors but the topic of av gas being for low rpm motors and not necessarily good for high rpm motors

it won't damage a 2 stroke at all, its just that for whatever reason the throttle response until the motor gets revved up suffers.

I believe this is primarily because of the lead in the fuel. The throttle response is a lot crisper in the lower RPM range with a mix of 50/50 .... but as far as causing physical damage to the motor, no not at all.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
it won't damage a 2 stroke at all, its just that for whatever reason the throttle response until the motor gets revved up suffers.

I believe this is primarily because of the lead in the fuel. The throttle response is a lot crisper in the lower RPM range with a mix of 50/50 .... but as far as causing physical damage to the motor, no not at all.

I believe the 'lazy' throttle response can be contributed to the high aromatics hydrocarbons of avgas.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Ive always run an AV/ 91 mix in my sled after reading this I decided to test the hypothesis myself. I picked up some sunoco 110 and will a 50/50 mix on sundays ride to see if I can tell any difference.

This is my third season on my turbo with almost no changes in tuning so if there is any difference I should think I will be able to tell.

Premium Features