• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Irregular WOT Bog, TPS??

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
Sometimes when I'm pulling a hill or doing sidehilling I encounter 1/2 sek bog problems, but only at WOT... Could this be the TPS who's acting up?
It's a -11PRMK that has run 1312 miles
Thanks for any tip's or hint's

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Another potential issue with your situation with higher miles is a plugged fuel filter. If you haven't replaced it, you may want to. Supposedly there is a cheaper option made by SPI sold out of WPS.

S
Nov 2, 2009
Hugo, MN
I had a 11 with similar issue. Went through check list by polaris. New fuel filter #1, then injectors #2 thing, then TPS, then plug caps, then coils, then reflash ecu, eventually found piston scuffed on exhaust side needed to pull ex valve out to see it. 1800 miles that was the issue. pistons worn out.

So there is your list of things to go after, Its one of those items I just listed.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
I had a 11 with similar issue. Went through check list by polaris. New fuel filter #1, then injectors #2 thing, then TPS, then plug caps, then coils, then reflash ecu, eventually found piston scuffed on exhaust side needed to pull ex valve out to see it. 1800 miles that was the issue. pistons worn out.

So there is your list of things to go after, Its one of those items I just listed.

Good start there, would help us to know what you are running:

stock....can...pipe...head...fuel...etc?

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
Thanks for all the good tips, and I haven't thought of the fuel filter, I'll try and change it an see if it get's better

The sled is bone stock, only upgrades done is suspension and looks...
I've had out bot exhaust valves and changed all parts on them (except the guillotines themselves) and they had no signs of scuffs or wear and tear.

I'm running at 95oct(US 91oct)and have had no problems with this before, and also to answer Wild_Canuck's statement: this is not rev limiter cutting, but thanks for the info :)

It's so annoying since I could do pull's up a hill all day and out of a 100 pulls 2 or 3 bog's occurs, and they only last 1 to 1/2 sek, not much but enough to f* up the pull...

R
Dec 1, 2009
My sled spent close to six weeks in the shop last year trying to figure out what caused the WOT Bog. They replaced everything even the entire motor.

Turned out to be a faulty Throttle Saftey Switch. It kept reading that it was working right but once they changed it out the BOG went away. i put 400 miles on it and havent had a problem since. knocking on wood it dont return this season

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
Okay, to sum up: So far I have 3 suspects... 1. Fuelfilter 2. TPS sensor 3. TS Switch.
I'll keep you posted, but please keep the tip's coming in.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
My problem is similar, I have had a WOT bog since new and I am still trying to figure it out. My problem occurs after a couple of WOT pulls and now there is engine (pipe) heat build up.
I have been searching and following these threads for years and it seems all threads die without a fix found?
A earlier post mentions the Throttle safety switch, I have not replaced mine yet.

Has anyone else had this fix their WOT bog? I know that my bog is that the fuel is shutoff or the ignition is killed. It doesn't sputter just completely dies, but will recover if you flip the throttle back and forth. Any ideas?

S
Nov 9, 2012
My problem is similar, I have had a WOT bog since new and I am still trying to figure it out. My problem occurs after a couple of WOT pulls and now there is engine (pipe) heat build up.
I have been searching and following these threads for years and it seems all threads die without a fix found?
A earlier post mentions the Throttle safety switch, I have not replaced mine yet.

Has anyone else had this fix their WOT bog? I know that my bog is that the fuel is shutoff or the ignition is killed. It doesn't sputter just completely dies, but will recover if you flip the throttle back and forth. Any ideas?

I have the same issue, checked TPS this off-season, and discovered it was way-off. I'm hoping this fixes the issue

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I have a new TPS and it is adjusted by the dealer. Also have new ECU.

I have not replaced injectors. I just don't understand why that will help if it is a on/off situation.
I guess it is worth a try, I just don't like throwing parts at the sled!! There should be a way of figuring out this problem without just guessing.

R
Dec 1, 2009

My dealer put over $13,000 in parts and labour into my sled trying to fix the WOT bog. Mine would bog for a second when i would pin it, then it would slowly pick up and take off.

Throttle Saftey Switch is about $125 fix. I'd try that out first

here is a small list of things they tried on mine

-New injectors
-new TPS
-new ECU
-new fuel filter and pump
-new stator
-new exhaust valves
-new reed valves
-new coil/plugs/wires
-new solenoid
-new crank seals
-new engine / pipe temp sensor
-new base gaskets
-new create CFI 800 engine
-etc.

all this a was done from the direction of Polaris Canada under warranty. My dealer after reading somewhere about the TS switch fixing the problem and tried it even tho it tested fine and the meter said it was working. once we put the new TS switch on it was night and day difference.

Polaris Canada didnt believe thats was the cause and we had to take 2 videos one with the orignal Throttle block showing it not working, and one with the new trottle block showing it was working.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
My dealer put over $13,000 in parts and labour into my sled trying to fix the WOT bog. Mine would bog for a second when i would pin it, then it would slowly pick up and take off.

Throttle Saftey Switch is about $125 fix. I'd try that out first

here is a small list of things they tried on mine

-New injectors
-new TPS
-new ECU
-new fuel filter and pump
-new stator
-new exhaust valves
-new reed valves
-new coil/plugs/wires
-new solenoid
-new crank seals
-new engine / pipe temp sensor
-new base gaskets
-new create CFI 800 engine
-etc.

all this a was done from the direction of Polaris Canada under warranty. My dealer after reading somewhere about the TS switch fixing the problem and tried it even tho it tested fine and the meter said it was working. once we put the new TS switch on it was night and day difference.

Polaris Canada didnt believe thats was the cause and we had to take 2 videos one with the orignal Throttle block showing it not working, and one with the new trottle block showing it was working.

Thanks for the info, I just replaced my injectors, But it will be some time before I get to try it out. If this does not work I will try the throttle safety switch. Thanks again.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I had the same thing on a 2011. The dealer changed everything,and still no luck. The only thing left to change was the wiring harness. Gave up sold it, and bought another 2011 and had no problems at all with it. What they never checked was fuel pressure. I always felt it was a fuel problem, not ignition.

S
Oct 7, 2008
Durango, Co
My 2012 Assault started doing this last ride. Like the motor was in limp mode at WOT and not all the time just occasionally. It seemed that if I let off and keep from hitting WOT it went away. Called my dealer and the service guy said he was gonna charge me to run a diagnostic check on it....not too happy about that. I was gonna take it in and explain I have a warranty and its between them and Polaris tomorrow. Am I way off or should this get done under warranty?

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
So...the solution(drumroll)Fuelfilter!
Changed this and the problem was solved
Thanks guys for tips and hints:face-icon-small-hap

Timberdoodle218

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2010
Tofte MN
why can't something that is new run right

Well I have a new '14 which probably doesn't have a 100 miles on it and I've got the bog. Pretty frustrating to side slide down into a drainage, pin it at the bottom to hook back up the hill and it'll bog ( just for a second) after just getting started back up and bringing an attempted pull to a halt. Makes for a hell of a stuck. Pretty much takes care of having faith in the thing. And there's next to no chance a mechanic could get it to reoccur while dinkin around the dealership. Full tank of nonoxy 91 octane. don't feel like throwin $100 bills at it tryin to discover a fix. Although it's not the filter and it's not dirty valves. Is a shop going to throw new injectors in or install a new tss because I claim I have a bog? I'll be skeptically calling later today to find out.

Premium Features