• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skid set up advice.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The Roosterbuilt guys recommended to me that I should run my front track shock really loose for better deep snow performance. I have the Toms Powderwedges(also recommended by the Roosterbuilt guys) and the Toms E motion rear suspension set up with Fox air shocks. So I set the front track shock air pressure right at 47-48 lbs. Made a big diff on how the sled gets up on the snow. Might even cut it down to 45lbs. I run the rear a little stiffer to combat excessive ski lift, 115-120lbs in the mains and 165lbs in the Evol chamber for a 220lb rider. Still very plush ride in the rough with great bottom out resistance. If you are running the stock springs run the front spring so soft the clip just stays in and the torsion spring on the highest setting(it's 4 or 5). Better yet get the stiffer rear spring from Doo or the Renton Coil spring Ti spring and get some real adjustability. Stock springs are way too soft and get softer really quick.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
What is the claim to fame on the emotion versus the t motion? Does his kit do away with the springs? You could put air shocks on the t motion.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Changes the geometry. Different t motion arm and rocker arm. Gets rid of the torsion springs and allows the mounting of air shocks(maybe a coil over too. You can't bolt air shocks into the stock t motion. You can't even put a coil over into the stock t motion. The rear shock has to have a really long skinny shaft to fit. Look under your XM and you will see the fitment problem.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Better yet get the stiffer rear spring from Doo or the Renton Coil spring Ti spring and get some real adjustability. Stock springs are way too soft and get softer really quick.

I was looking into doing this, anyone have the Doo part # for the stiffer torsion springs? For my 09 XP it was the tundra torsion spring.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Sorry I don't. They are only $40-50 though. I90 Motorsports had them.

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
Has anyone done any limiter strap testing to see what setup goes the furthest up a powder hill?

i left my limiter strap set stock on the xm 154 x and front shocks the rear shock set about 1/2 in tighter but found that with the gas can and bag on rear it trenched bad aprox 4' deep and without changing anything except taking off bag and can 2' deep same hill same day i weigh 180 and usually out climb everyone on that hill (even differant days) tried moving fwd as far as i can still same result, i never had a problem with skilift as i like it and makes climbing more fun for me on xm (it is a little harder to turn the xp 163" with skis lifted same hill) i use to love wheelstanding my dirt bikes also. i believe winterbrew has said about the same on limiter strap, i see Matt has experimented with airshocks now and sounds interesting but if i do that system might be on xp.

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
Has anyone done any limiter strap testing to see what setup goes the furthest up a powder hill?

I tightened my limit straps (there's 2 of 'em under there) one hole (was on 3rd hole from dealer/factory). Tightening it up reduced ski lift a bit, got up on snow a little better and just felt more predictable overall.

Premium Features