• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'11,'12 Pros need running board help!

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Last year we had nice light snow so it wasn't a big deal to kick the boards and be good. This year... not so much. Heavy wet snow all season has had me falling off the sled, the stock boards pack up so badly! Would love to get Airframes but my measly income these dayz won't allow it. What's the cheapest fix? New 2013 boards? Anyone retrofit them yet to theirs or are the kits not out yet?

Have FUN!

G MAN

IMG_0126.jpg

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I too am waiting to see how well the 13 boards work out. I'm guessing there will be quite a few available with people switching to airframes, etc. and the new Burandt boards.

T

TGitt

Feb 16, 2009
Logan, Utah
After looking at the 13s, I don't see why they wouldn't work on the 11 and 12s. Looks like you'll be able to install them just like the air frames. Cut old ones off. Rivet new ones on. I still am a little bummed they didn't address the weakness where it hooks to the frame in the footwell. Attatchs exactly like the 11/12s, and I've broke two. But the boards feel stronger and don't flex when you stand on it so I hope that will help.

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Forget Better Boards. Forget FeetHookers. Forget Airframes. By far the cheapest and an awesome insert is made by Madsigntist here on the forum. They are called MadFab ez boards. This is coming from a guy that has installed Betterboards on several of my sleds and put Airframes on my '12.

I love the fact that they are cheap, don't require any cutting and work awesome! I would have never guessed that they worked so well until riding with a buddy that got one of the first sets to use.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Forget Better Boards. Forget FeetHookers. Forget Airframes. By far the cheapest and an awesome insert is made by Madsigntist here on the forum. They are called MadFab ez boards. This is coming from a guy that has installed Betterboards on several of my sleds and put Airframes on my '12.

I love the fact that they are cheap, don't require any cutting and work awesome! I would have never guessed that they worked so well until riding with a buddy that got one of the first sets to use.

So they're just a plastic insert/overlay of the current boards and work because snow doesn't stick to them and falls thru the holes? I'm skeptical but... I do LOVE my gauge lifter from Matt so I'll try to keep an open mind! Cascade concrete is a beeyatch to keep clear tho and those stock outer grips are slicing the crap outta my boots!

Have FUN!

G

B
Jan 16, 2010
Northern Utah
The Cat guys on the M forums have been raving about Fastlane plastic running boards for quite a while. I picked up an 07 M8 and put them on and they are the best running board upgrade for the price I have found. I have used snow eliminators, BBs, and I have airframes on my Pro of course :).

Honestly the only difference in airframes and Fastlane plastic boards is the airframes are insanely strong. Both require absolutely zero effort to keep snow off. The best part is they started making them for the Pro chassis!

linky

http://flaneinc.com/catalog/product...d=119&osCsid=76af6ac94a0051d6b1e7a5186fdb3c0e

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
The Cat guys on the M forums have been raving about Fastlane plastic running boards for quite a while. I picked up an 07 M8 and put them on and they are the best running board upgrade for the price I have found. I have used snow eliminators, BBs, and I have airframes on my Pro of course :).

Honestly the only difference in airframes and Fastlane plastic boards is the airframes are insanely strong. Both require absolutely zero effort to keep snow off. The best part is they started making them for the Pro chassis!

linky

http://flaneinc.com/catalog/product...d=119&osCsid=76af6ac94a0051d6b1e7a5186fdb3c0e

So, from the pic, are they like Better Boards with a plastic insert?

Thanks,

G

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Yes, they are drop in inserts. They look awesome and also he can include side vinyl tokeep snow from sticking to the sides as well. I wish that he had made these last year, it would have saved me several hundred bucks on BB's and Airframes.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
....those stock outer grips are slicing the crap outta my boots!
G

I filed my outer grips down the 2nd day after realizing how hard on boots they are.

The alum files very easily. Takes ~30 mins. I removed about 1/2 - 1/3 of the material. Mainly removing the tall sharp edges.
Boot soles will last much longer and I still don't have traction issues w/ my Klim Adrenaline boots either..

Also looking for a economical solution to the boards however..

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
The hd better boards are one heck of an improvement over the mess posted on the stock boards in that photo. And they actually strengthen the footwell area as well. And Yes, yes I do have a set in the swapmeet. I think there are a lot of companies out there trying to improve upon the original great idea.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
.......Cascade concrete is a beeyatch to keep clear tho and those stock outer grips are slicing the crap outta my boots!

....it helped reduce the wear on my boots.

I filed my outer grips down the 2nd day after realizing how hard on boots they are.....Boot soles will last much longer and I still don't have traction issues w/ my Klim Adrenaline boots either......

I have to ask...are all of you saying that the soles of your boots are wearing out and leaking before the tops?

I know the boards slice things up...but in my experience, it has always just been cosmetic, and I dont really care what the soles of my boots look like.

Not being a smarta$$...serious question.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I made my own inserts this summer from UHMW..they work darn good, (better then both the feethookers and the BB's I have had)..but they will collect alittle snow still..but nothing like the other inserts....
DSC00684.jpg

DSC00685.jpg

DSC00697.jpg

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I have to ask...are all of you saying that the soles of your boots are wearing out and leaking before the tops?

I know the boards slice things up...but in my experience, it has always just been cosmetic, and I dont really care what the soles of my boots look like.

I wish the boards had the sharp nubs everywhwere including up the angle that meets the tunnel, that grip is worth shredding soles to me.

Also, am I the only one that bent the stock rail edges quickly? The added snow removal is huge, but so is some added strength for me. Heavy Duty Better Boards add that strength along with some of the other options. We will see how the 2013 stuff works, should be much better.

I really wonder how much the plastic style inserts on top of the stock boards are strengthening the rail edges when compared to the thicker metal products available.

IMO there is more to fixing the board issue than just snow removal, it should also include added strength to the footwell and rail.

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
FCR..the UHMW I used..actually did strengthen my boards..it is pretty much the strongest of the plastics..havent found but 1 glue that works with it(it is a special adhesive tape that 1 manufacturer installs on its type of uhmw..)but it did stiffenen mine enough to be noticable (I have to add that I did my tunnel reinforcements first and they stiffened the boards alot(stopped the boards from flexing the tunnel sides when they flex)..but once installed a few weeks later, the uhmw did make a noticable difference as well..)

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
FCR..the UHMW I used..actually did strengthen my boards..it is pretty much the strongest of the plastics..havent found but 1 glue that works with it(it is a special adhesive tape that 1 manufacturer installs on its type of uhmw..)but it did stiffenen mine enough to be noticable (I have to add that I did my tunnel reinforcements first and they stiffened the boards alot(stopped the boards from flexing the tunnel sides when they flex)..but once installed a few weeks later, the uhmw did make a noticable difference as well..)

Good job on those! Where do you purchase the UHMW? Did you just use adhesive or did you rivit also? What wrap did you use on the tunnel?

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR

Yes, when you're kicking at the boards every five minutes you slice the bottoms up enough to have leaking issues. Last season I wasted a nice pair of HMK's. Luckily for me, they are local based (Hood River) and gave me a great deal on a new pair. I don't want to have to go thru that every season! The 2013 boards look a lot like the Doo grips - not blades but cast ridges which don't slice up boots nor $200 snow pants!

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Leaning heavily towards the plastic inserts so far!

Premium Features