• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why is my sled so effing hard to start

S
Mar 17, 2008
My sled is so hard to start. Weird thing is it starts second pull or so when I am starting it up in the morning with full choke. Then after riding when it is definitely warm it takes at least 4 or 5 hard hard pulls to get it to go. Sometimes it helps to pull it a couple times with the kill switch in the off position but I am somewhat stumped...

I do have electric start (currently not working), would that have anything to do with it? ps anyone have a left hand control they would like to sell me (06 summit x 800)

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Hard starting could be reeds are bad or compression is down.
Also on the Doo's you ALWAYS want to grab a little throttle and it'll almost always fire on one short pull.

S
Mar 17, 2008
Hard starting could be reeds are bad or compression is down.
Also on the Doo's you ALWAYS want to grab a little throttle and it'll almost always fire on one short pull.

my compression is good i had it checked a couple weeks back, I do have to grab a bit of throttle to get it to go but it never fires on a short pull. How do i know if my reeds are bad? I'll give my carb heaters a look but I'm pretty sure they aren't on. Thanks for the feedback guys.

G
Mar 15, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
exact same sled, exact same problem. My battery is completely dead and the sled has never started as hard as it did this last weekend, so I am going to put a good charge on my battery and see if that doesn't fix my problem. It acted the same way as described above, start right up in the mornings when it was cold but as soon as it was warmed up it didn't want to start for crap.

S
Mar 17, 2008
would disconnecting the battery help at all? my e start isn't working. earlier it was making a buzzing noise, but now it doesn't do anything. I was told maybe a relay was bad but for a temporary fix would disconnecting the battery help?

C
Nov 26, 2007
Sounds like a relay problem to me. Had the same problem but mine was not electric start. Easy test if you don't have a spare, personaly I don't leave home with out one. Unplug the wiring harness to the headlights. if problem goes away it your relay. good luck.

S
Mar 17, 2008
i'll try the headlight test tomorrow... also i didn't check the hot compression, i just had the dealer do it when i did the preseason tune up. I don't remember the exact numbers but i do remember it was a difference of 10, which according to that link dj put up means I need to have my rings looked at... is that correct?

S
Mar 17, 2008
so i pulled the fuse for the headlights today to see if anything would change. it is 100 percent easier to start, meaning I need a new relay correct? What is this and where do I get it.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Good to here you found it. The relay is a black cube about 1" square and is mounted up by the fuses. I bought mine at Canadian tire for 5.80. You can get them at NAPA as well. Just take in your old one. Doo will sell you one for 50.00. Good luck.

S
Mar 17, 2008
Good to here you found it. The relay is a black cube about 1" square and is mounted up by the fuses. I bought mine at Canadian tire for 5.80. You can get them at NAPA as well. Just take in your old one. Doo will sell you one for 50.00. Good luck.

so i went to autozone and checker auto, and they both couldn't find it... you wouldn't happen to know what style or part number or something like that i need if i go to an auto part store would ya. right now i just have it disconnected... thats not bad to run the sled like that is it?

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
I'll check

Hey, I can check my spare tomorrow and let you know the make and part number. I had to "work" with the guys at checker to cross reference mine. I've replaced mine twice in 3 years... never ride without a spare (and fuses).

I also have a gold finger lefty on my sled that I've been thinking about taking off to sell. Let me know if you're still looking.

Hauler

Premium Features