• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski doo 800HO No Spark

S
Jan 1, 2008
Chanhassen, MN
I have a problem. Here we go. I replaced my crank with a reman crank this summer. had some issues with the crank, it slipped out of phase. It probably ran about 10 mins. Got a new crank, reinstalled it and went to fire it up, no spark. checked the coil and MPEM on my dads sled and it worked. figured it was stator, got a new stator, still no spark. i don't know where to go next. anyone have the same problem? I have no idea what to even check next. Checked the DESS also, but it should still spark even if that is bad correct? any ideas at all let me know.

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
no Spark...

Well did you go back and Check ALL Connections. To make sure none of the pins go pushed back and are no touching.

?? Are all parts are new??

Stator?
Coil?
Teather?
Kill Switch?

Dielectric Grease is your Friend!!!

Good Luck!!
Napa Matt

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
On the dess, not all the time. If the post is not registering a key on it you will not get spark.

I would say it more likely you don't have something hooked up right or you have a bad connection. Did you check the connection from the trigger coil (cps) to the Mpem? Are you sure it is plugged all the way in? Make sure you didn't push a pin out of one of the connectors at the mpem. One of the pins on your sled might be pushed in the connector making a bad connection and that is why the mpem works on your dads sled but not yours.

S
Jan 1, 2008
Chanhassen, MN
ya. we checked all connections. stator isn't "new" but came out of a running sled. tried 2 different coils.

with the kill switch, does it have to be plugged in? or does it only "kill" the sled. we tried it plugged in and unplugged. but i guess it could be bad depending on how they work.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Kill switch is a grounding switch, just disconnect it.

By trigger coil I'm not talking about the ignition coil that the spark plug wires come out of, I'm talking about the crank position sensor as the new age would call it, us old guys call it a trigger coil because it "triggers" the ignition coil.

Again you have to take the connector apart and make sure none of the pins were pushed from the position they need to be in. It happens on those connectors. Iv'e been there and chased that demon before. You may also want to find a small drill bit that fits the hole in the pin and check them all, If you find one that the drill bit fits looser than the others, tighten it up a little.

K
Jul 29, 2009
If you've done the obvious stuff like verifying connections/grounds. I would start with the trigger coil as well. You could have damaged it during the rebuild. The resistance of the coil should be 190 to 300 ohms.

O
Aug 22, 2009
Littleton
Bad news is its probably the computer box went south on you.
I borrowed my neighbor's sled for some family that came into town. His sleds are supposed to be tuned every season well the computer went out on us about 16+ miles back in the pow. Same thing no spark. Chit that was expensive incl. diagnostic $600. Now my buddies want to lend me their car so I can buy them a new car. Lesson learned...if you run out of sleds the remaining family will have to rent.

S
Jan 1, 2008
Chanhassen, MN
its not the MPEM. tested it on my dads and it works. Triggers will be the next thing to check along with checking and rechecking all connections I guess. hopefully have an update for everyone tonite.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
I wouldn't hurt to pull the DESS post off your dads machine and try that, they are the same, It's the tether itself thats different. If you just disconnect the DESS post you will not get any spark.

S
Jan 1, 2008
Chanhassen, MN
tried a different DESS that i had from a part out and still didn't work. sled has reverse, but i think there is only one way the trigger coils will go, you can't get them wrong. i have another wiring harness from a part out. might have to see if that solves the problem. we are going nuts trying to figure this one out!

all other checks have been good according to the manual. and i mean EVERY test.

one question for everyone, how does the kill switch work? there is voltage at the coil even when the kill switch is on (pushed down). if the kill switch doesn't "kill" electricity to the coil, what does it actually "kill"

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Kill switch grounds the curcuit, unplug it ,don't tie the two wire's together.

The only other test would be if the wiring for the kill curcuit is chaffed some where between the switch and the mpem and touching the frame. that would ground the curcuit and take away spark.

Rave

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2001
SE MN
does the sled have reverse? did you put the trigger coils back on correctly. the trigger coil with green and white wires goes on top. IIRC its green and white.

Hmmm....... Now there's an idea!

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
You could test if the triggers are in backworks by using your emergancy pull rope and spinning the motor backwards and see if you get spark.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Just had a thought, if the triggeres were reversed, you would still have spark, the timing would just be way off and it would not run unless the motor was spinning backwards. So if your checking for spark with the plugs out it would not matter.

wardy

Premium Member
Jun 7, 2008
Central point Oregon
sounds like maybe your triger coils are reversed ,, you change the wires in the plug so you so you dont have to tear in to the fly wheel area to swap the triggers around

Premium Features