• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to lighten up a 05 skidoo summit 1000

C
Sep 20, 2009
Im thinking about buying a 05 Skidoo summit 1000 but everybody says they are a tank. What can be done to lighted these sleds up to handle better and stuff. Im use to a 03 summit 800 zx chassis

Thanks alot,
Tyler

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
You can take a lot of weight off of these sleds for relatively cheap.
I have close to 100 pounds removed from mine.
The biggest savings came from
Stinger 12lbs
Single pipe 8 lbs
Boss seat 10 lbs (more when the stock seat gets wet)
Holz a arms 10 lbs
Cold air kit - removes outer air box 8 lbs

That's almost 50 lb reduction for $2000 give or take a few $$$$

Also a boondocker control box is a must on these sleds

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
delete the rear one, install a thermostat to control temp instead of deleting the front one.. take of as much plastic garbage as possible. put pods on it to keep belt dust out of the motor and lose a few pounds...

as for those who say its a tank, there wimps!! there no 800, but the power makes up for the weight 10 fold in my mind and i LOVE some tight trees.

buddy also has an 800 zx sled, he doesnt like any of the newer chassis except the RT, he just plain likes them, where he doesnt like the rev or xp... just some food for thought

D
Mar 24, 2008
Idaho
delete the rear one, install a thermostat to control temp instead of deleting the front one.. take of as much plastic garbage as possible. put pods on it to keep belt dust out of the motor and lose a few pounds...

as for those who say its a tank, there wimps!! there no 800, but the power makes up for the weight 10 fold in my mind and i LOVE some tight trees.

buddy also has an 800 zx sled, he doesnt like any of the newer chassis except the RT, he just plain likes them, where he doesnt like the rev or xp... just some food for thought

Would uni filers work in the place of the pods? :rolleyes:

C
Sep 20, 2009
Rear cooler delete is a must and what I did was just bypass the front cooler, sled run way more consistantly without the front cooler.

Alright guys im by not means a sled head on these. But you can just eliminate the coolers? why do they even put them on then? It won't run hot?

D
Mar 24, 2008
Idaho
Alright guys im by not means a sled head on these. But you can just eliminate the coolers? why do they even put them on then? It won't run hot?

From what has been said in previous threads. The rt's are overcooled meaning they get to cold and begin to "tractor" (some computer shut down mode). So guys are taking out the rear cooler and putting in a thermostat to regulate temperature.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada

For some reason known only to BRP engineers this monster came with 3 coolers in 05
I have found that the tunnel cooler is the only one that is needed. That cooler must be 4 feet long. Now I may be wrong but 06's have a shorter tunnel cooler.
Runs between 90 and 120 degrees on most pulls.
With 3 coolers the temp would drop to 80 where I believe limp mode kicks in.

My front cooler developed a leak (pretty common thing with 05 RT) so I by passed it to see if the tunnel cooler was enough, there is plenty of cooling there. It has never over heated (with ice scratchers).

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Your correct, in 06 they choped the tunnel cooler in half AND deleted the rear cooler.

I'm working on one I bought this summer and so far the easy stuff was, can, tail light delete, choped the windsheild, removed inner and outer airbox ( installed uni's ), cut the rear flap off about 4" at the molded line, removed the foam, removed rear cooler.

Not weight loss but I also ported my track, made a two wheel kit, built some drop brackets ( just finished them and they turned out good ), DJ's clutch kit just got installed and have some vents on the kitchen table that I hope to get installed soon.

There are other places to lose some weight, like ski doo'in said all the plastic is an easy one and good for a couple pounds. Plan on at least remounting the fuel pump, but it seems that many had problems with the stock pump and swaped to the chevy diesel pump. The T-stat was a pretty easy install and seems to be another must.

D
Mar 24, 2008
Idaho
Your correct, in 06 they choped the tunnel cooler in half AND deleted the rear cooler.

I'm working on one I bought this summer and so far the easy stuff was, can, tail light delete, choped the windsheild, removed inner and outer airbox ( installed uni's ), cut the rear flap off about 4" at the molded line, removed the foam, removed rear cooler.

Not weight loss but I also ported my track, made a two wheel kit, built some drop brackets ( just finished them and they turned out good ), DJ's clutch kit just got installed and have some vents on the kitchen table that I hope to get installed soon.

There are other places to lose some weight, like ski doo'in said all the plastic is an easy one and good for a couple pounds. Plan on at least remounting the fuel pump, but it seems that many had problems with the stock pump and swaped to the chevy diesel pump. The T-stat was a pretty easy install and seems to be another must.

Where did you get the Vents for the rt???
I was thinking of making my own.

R
Dec 8, 2007
I also pulled the stabilizer bar out. I think it made it a way easier to maneuver. You do loose a little stability on the trail. Make sure it is something you want before you take it out because they are a pain to get out in one piece.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Forgot that one, sway bar was the first to go.

I got them from Mountain fit hoods, they do not list them on there site but you can order by phone. It's about 100.00 and you get clutch side, mag side, hood, two knee vents, and two triangle vents to replace the intake and exhaust vents. Here is a pic, the vent over the exhaust is a little differant but the rest have not changed any.

PA060049.jpg

x-5

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Park City mt
Porting the track will lose weight, I had an 05 and went 1 1/4" 5 wide on the track and came up with over 3 pounds with all the rubber off it. You can cut out every other clip or even every 3rd and make it over 6 pounds and thats all rotating mass. Lots of people hated there 05 but I loved mine. A Jaws can is the one I would get if I were you they are sick, light and the sound is one of a kind!!! I did this and the cooler delete, r&m vents, lost the sway and all the idel wheels, made my own seat , and had some dan alt a arms and rear skid parts and had about a true 90 to 100 off her. The nose still feels the weight but she will rip thats for sure. :D

B

blacksnow

Jan 3, 2009
everett, WA
Forgot that one, sway bar was the first to go.

I got them from Mountain fit hoods, they do not list them on there site but you can order by phone. It's about 100.00 and you get clutch side, mag side, hood, two knee vents, and two triangle vents to replace the intake and exhaust vents. Here is a pic, the vent over the exhaust is a little differant but the rest have not changed any.

PA060049.jpg

that's lund's sled right?? from dootalk

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Yep, after that pic I hit him up for were he got the vents, and they are mountain fit.

I went 2/3/2/3 with 1" five wide is too much for me, but I ended up with only 1 1/2 pounds out of the track. I did not do it for weight, I did it simply to clear snow from the skid.

R
Nov 16, 2009
Lose the rear cooler and if your feeling ambitious the front one as well.

I was looking at the front cooler on my 05 RT since it developed a leak and I thought it was the main part of the structure for the RT. I decided to bypass the first cooler and I put the rear one back on since I really dont want to overheat in a bad place.

Premium Features