• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Delete T- motion or keep it?

Delete T- motion or keep it?

• Keep T-motion

Votes: 89 42.4%
  • Delete

Votes: 106 50.5%
  • Deleted it without testing first

Votes: 15 7.1%

• Total voters

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I deleted in an attempt to remedy the unpredictability when crossing others' tracks. The sled didn't always go where I want to when traversing a slope that was all tracked up. Now, I hadn't ridden in years so it could be that I figured it out as I put on the lock-out washers too.... dunno.

Going back to the XP days I always found that this is a Ski-doo trait. After riding Bret Rasmussen's sled though I found out it was the soft front end set-up that was mostly to blame. Bret's handled those crossings well.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Going back to the XP days I always found that this is a Ski-doo trait. After riding Bret Rasmussen's sled though I found out it was the soft front end set-up that was mostly to blame. Bret's handled those crossings well.

I haven't read about his setup but know I likely can't afford it, haha.

Gotmud

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Thanks for adding the extra option in the Poll, I like it. Now I'm left wondering how many of the guys that have deleted came from different manufacturers? Even if they did try it before locking it out. Myself, coming from Polaris I learned that the 2 machines respond totally differently to rider input. Had I just locked out the T-motion, would it have responded more like the Polaris and I wouldn't have had to learn to ride differently? Would I have missed out on something the Ski-Doo does differently if I'd have done that? Maybe I'm putting too much thought into it, but I'm still not sold. I remember giggling at Ski-Doo and their silly pivoting suspension when I was a diehard Polaris rider. I've ridden the Polaris and Ski-Doo back to back as my son rides my Polaris still, I now prefer the G4 as it handles way better and it doesn't take as much effort to do things. Eh, my 2 cents and my ramble is off lol.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Thanks for adding the extra option in the Poll, I like it. Now I'm left wondering how many of the guys that have deleted came from different manufacturers? Even if they did try it before locking it out. Myself, coming from Polaris I learned that the 2 machines respond totally differently to rider input. Had I just locked out the T-motion, would it have responded more like the Polaris and I wouldn't have had to learn to ride differently? Would I have missed out on something the Ski-Doo does differently if I'd have done that? Maybe I'm putting too much thought into it, but I'm still not sold. I remember giggling at Ski-Doo and their silly pivoting suspension when I was a diehard Polaris rider. I've ridden the Polaris and Ski-Doo back to back as my son rides my Polaris still, I now prefer the G4 as it handles way better and it doesn't take as much effort to do things. Eh, my 2 cents and my ramble is off lol.

Good points!

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
The word from Hay Days is that Doo has eliminated the tipped up rails (rear) for 2019. This will make the G4 feel more planted and then the t-motion might be more desirable now.

I hope this isn't the case as I loved how withe the removable snow flap I could reverse quite a ways back out of situations without getting stuck. Saved me a lot of digging! May not be as good if rails are not tipped up...

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
There are so many different ways we could go with this... but one thing that I'm very curious about is how many guys who voted to keep it, actually tried locking it out and decided to take the lock out kit off the sled and ride it with t-motion.. Anyone?

I was talking to a guy who deleted the t-motion and installed a 15 inch wide non flex edge track on his 154 and he said he will never ride another summit with flex edge or t-motion again.. I wish it was a little easier/cheaper to find out for yourself what the best route to go is.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Like T-Motion

Quite like the T-Motion and will be keeping it. Sled requires less work to handle and working less means I can ride longer!

T-Motion takes some adjustment in riding style but if you want to ride old school knock yourself out it is your sled to do as you please with.

revrider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2003
Randle
On my 18 163, I liked T Motion for general riding around, for me its when you are hill climbing and you get on the tail and your skies are up some I found it very unpredictable. I noticed a big difference since putting in the washers. Washers are said to ware out and even when new only lock it out 90%. I have a 12 163 800, can I swap the two?

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
I have a Munster version of the lockout. Quite frankly I've ridden with it locked out for so long I've forgotten what T-motion felt like.

This thread has gotten me curious (especially the post about has anyone really installed the lockout and hated it so much the took it off) so I think I'll take it out at some point this winter and see what how I react to the T-motion.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Interesting thoughts on this and it is all what makes YOU feel more confident on the sled. I quite like the T3 with t-motion and preferred it to my Pro. Then I jumped back over on the Axys and in all snow conditions felt better on that sled. Had to get an 850 and I put in an equal amount of time on my boosted Axys 163 and 165 850 before locking it out with ZRP washers.

So after spending the time getting my suspension dialed in, centered the spindles on the skis, and t-motion lock out and everything was better for me...so much so I sold the boosted Axys. I personally felt like it was more nimble and sensitive to rid input after getting rid of it.

Full disclosure, I have sold the 850 too...but that is because I am looking for a 165 with shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K
Jan 28, 2011
Thunder Mountain Lodge
I installed the tmotion delete washers from Skinz. Affordable and easy, plus does not totally lock it out. I ride about 3000 miles per year and have been testing for many years. I made the change in the middle of a ride at Togwottee last season, at first it felt a little stiff in the rear, but better for steep sidehills I think. I also like to widen my ski stance, now I can really hold an edge. @Thunder Mountain Lodge Thanks

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
2 years with T-Mo and 1 year with lock out. Lockout works better in terms of predictability on the side hill and any time you go from soft to set-up back to soft snow. The only thing I don't like with Lockout is in tends to washout or kick out the back on hard pack more easily. Predictable... but abrupt if that makes sense.

I would like to try the older rear suspension arm from 2012 to see the difference (if any) vs the washers.

I bet a lockout and 15 track would really be the ticket.

OTM

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I find it interesting that everyone is talking about sidehilling. Where T-Motion sucks is when you are going uphill and want to go to a certain spot. Good luck. I was on a ride last year and tried to follow a Cat and a Poo uphill, they went between two trees that were barely wider than the skis and kept going, I had to back off the throttle to make sure that I didn't hit one of them, got stuck. When they came back to get me they both said that they never let off the gas.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Just a 15 wide will make the Tmotion react way less (less leverage) and the solid edge will hold a line better even with T motion.

I never was a fan of 16 wide tracks if the new conquer track would have better reviews I would just put that one on. There are not enough options in 3.5

All that said I like the smooth turn in of the T motion and never had any issue with how unpredictable it is suppose to be.

At the end of the day if you like the way the Polaris handles buy one -- if you like the new cat (that ads a hole new dimension to how far a skid can flex) buy one and if you like the way a doo with t motion works by all means buy one.

Dial in and learn to properly ride what you got and at the end there is almost no difference between any of them in what they can do. However there is a huge difference in what different riders can do.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID

Yep. I had a Freeride 154 and a Summit 175 last year, the Freeride was MUCH more predictable on sidehills with the legit front end. Summit bottomed and did weird stuff being so soft.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I turn 50 this year and have been riding since I was kid. I would say I am better than or equal in skill to most but also know that I can't hang with some of todays younger riders. Some of the older riders too for that matter :p. That being said, I locked my T-Motion out. I rode for half a season with it and as stated, the sled is squirely on a tracked up hill. Any little track edge or rut would move your weight just enough from where it was to make the sled want to go in a direction that you hadn't planned for. I choose the brass lockout so it should last a bit longer than the Skinz plastic washer version. I think when you are a bit better of a rider or you challenge the sled more than most people, it is better to have predictability. So...if you are going to try and go places you shouldn't be or hang with riders that better than you, lock it out. You'll be happy you did.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I installed the tmotion delete washers from Skinz. Affordable and easy, plus does not totally lock it out. I ride about 3000 miles per year and have been testing for many years. I made the change in the middle of a ride at Togwottee last season, at first it felt a little stiff in the rear, but better for steep sidehills I think. I also like to widen my ski stance, now I can really hold an edge. @Thunder Mountain Lodge Thanks

Actually the Skinz DO lock it out completely, until you ride it. They wear out almost instantly (one ride) and then you have partial lock-out.

Premium Features