• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removal of primary clutch starter ring

N

Newby2sleds

Dec 15, 2011
Vancouver BC
Has anyone removed the starter gear ring on the primary clutch? I don't have E start and wondering if it is a structural part of the clutch? it would save rotational mass which would be a good thing but I don't know if it would affect the clutch balance or weaken it. Any thoughts???

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Yes I have, Your going to have mixed answers on this, but when I removed mine I noticed the vibration of the sled increased, there was more negatives that I noticed than positives, so I put mine back on.
Remember, your clutch is a flywheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
Really the only problem with taking it off is now your most likely going to have to add more pin weight to stop the motor from over reving.
The one bad thing is now is that it now revs up quicker thou it also revs down faster too, disengagement of the clutch faster. Not the best for going down hill. Got stay on the flipper more going down now.

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
Ring Gear

Had my clutch in to Doo dealer when I broke my puller off! They had to replace the inner sheave and I told them to leave the ring gear off, said they couldn't as it was part and parcel of keeping the clutch balanced! They unfortunately cut the old bolts off and replaced them with new ones, $10 each! I'd leave it on, not a big weight saver and if you sell the sled someone else might want to put on E start....

Premium Features