• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jumping ship.....maybe to the dark side???

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
Lol me too.

Could be because i have one in the garage......:)

I truly hope skidoo pushes the evolution up a notch.
Etec 800 snowbike at 400 pounds?

I hope Ski Doo pushes it up as well. The picture that I posted I found in the "Member Sled Build" under Project Skinny and this sled was built by Tiebreaker and this something I would like to see Ski Doo develop. Narrow/skinny and light with some more power. So Ski Doo if you are looking at this stuff this is something that a lot of us are wanting and thank you to Tiebreaker for building it.

image.jpg

Smoke Show

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
Fort Nelson, BC
give it a year. its just a new model and people like new. I thought about it for half a second but then I gave my head a shake.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
give it a year. its just a new model and people like new. I thought about it for half a second but then I gave my head a shake.

I agree but I also don't think I'm wrong in saying that the axys is further advancing the "Skinny and nimble" trend that we are seeing in our sport. Doo is going to have to follow suit and come up with something better next year. That is obvious, or this thread would not exist in this section.

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
I agree but I also don't think I'm wrong in saying that the axys is further advancing the "Skinny and nimble" trend that we are seeing in our sport. Doo is going to have to follow suit and come up with something better next year. That is obvious, or this thread would not exist in this section.

I don't know if "Skinny and nimble" is a trend though, I feel that the industry as a whole will need to shift in that direction. You are 100% correct by saying that Doo better do something for next year and if they don't their fan base is going to be shifting to other options....that's why I started this thread because I am one of those fans.

Wyopowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2013
I have both sleds poo and doo and if you plan to ride your new poo around in open powder fields and never get into real stuff and and keep the sled under 400 lbs then don't read on. But if you are going to ride the sled for real you will need new bumpers, skid plate and steel belt drive skid plate, new A arms and tunnel supports. So guess what about the same weight as doo there both good sleds.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Skidoo likes to stay innovative it seems. They are due for some changes next season but the T3's are really great sleds. Skinny up the front, drop 20lbs, add 10-15hp, and come with decent suspension front and rear. Skidoo could achieve these pretty easy. As for the axys the general consensus I have read from spring rides is its not a game changer like the polaris brass is talking about. Yes it does everything better then the pro but its very similar. Check out the polaris section too they are already taking about build quality issues and do I need aftermarket a-arms cause I can flex the stock ones by hand. The Axys is a nice sled but nice enough to jumpship time will tell.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
You've been able to flex ski doo running boards by hand since the beginning of time and people still buy em. Pro front ends were stronger than doos, despite being lighter weight...we'll see if the Axys continues this trend....but it's really not a difficult accomplishment. Anyways, I would never buy a sled based on how good or not good of can hit something...regardless of brand. They are all high performance units these days and colliding with a solid object will be expensive on any brand. Run your pickup in to a rock or tree at 20mph and see how it does...

Last edited:
K
Sep 21, 2001
The tough side of the coin is making the choice to jump ship when your uncertain to only have something go wrong and then you discover that some manufacturers have been using us as the research and development department to find and identify the week spots or defects that they missed.[/QUOTE]
You described Arctic Cat to a T They have been selling junk for decades!

S

STACAIR

Nov 6, 2009
Interesting topic. I agree that in deep snow the snow bikes will never take over. Different machine for different conditions and terrain. I rode a stock axys 163 3" for 3 days last week in deep conditions. Im yet too ride the SLP stage 2 setup but next dump of snow and ill be on it. That being said I think the axys is easier too work on, lighter, side hills better and is easier too change direction in technical terrain. The downside is that imo the XM T3 works better in deep dry pow. I find it easier too downhill powder turn and it climbs better. The narrow stance and rider forward setup help with downhill turns. The inch wider track makes the climbing and floating in deep snow better the the axys. I also feel the XM is better setup for jumping. I ran a 37inch kit on my previous pro but Im not sure how well it would work on the axys. It would help with down hill turns but make it too tippy and unpredictable in other areas. Im actually almost on the fence about getting an XM T3 if i can find a snow check thats left over. I mostly ride central interior of BC and usually wait for a dump of snow and then go ride 3 or 4 days straight. I think that if I'm usually only riding deep pow the XM might be a better choice for me. With that being said if i was riding more spring conditions or areas that are tracked out the axys would be my first choice. I was super pumped on the new axys until the first trip out where i wasn't able too touch my friends T3 in the deep stuff. I think living here we probably have more deep days then most other areas. (not including last winter). Id like too hear from anyone else who has ridden both and hear their thoughts.

G
Oct 23, 2011
sask. canada
I just jumped ship from Polaris to skidoo although I have 3 seasons on the pro chassis it was time for a change for me. I love the handling of the pro and the balance of the sled but the quality is junk. From what I've heard the axys isn't a whole lot different from
the pro other than new motor and looks. Doo just has way better fit and finish and everytime I got on one of my buddy's there was just no comparison to the etec. I think it's good to change things up but when I walked into Polaris and for the sno check model they had sitting on the floor was priced at 17300 cdn way to much for me to spend. Not to mention walker Evan shocks also sucked nothing but issues with them.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I find it interesting that folks think that the "T3" is some sort of new model. It is not. It is an XM with a revised front end geometry, same engine, deeper keel skis, different rear suspension mounting points (depending on track length), other than that pretty much the same rear suspension except for some lightweight cross shafts. I have found some other lightweight parts that were not advertised, but overall it is an improved XM. I am waiting for the real new sled reveal, skinnier, lighter, simpler.
Get rid of the gimmicks.
DS3 ski toes. The ski is too skinny with or without the silly toes.
T-Motion. I wish I could lock mine out, stock.
Flex edge track. No idea what to say about this.
The above two are a band aid to keep an overweight pig in the game.
I cannot believe I just wrote that, with 3 new Doos in the garage....:)

kakwa climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
I jumped ship from skidoo to Polaris and am now back to a skidoo. They all make good sleds but the dealership makes the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
I find it interesting that folks think that the "T3" is some sort of new model. It is not. It is an XM with a revised front end geometry, same engine, deeper keel skis, different rear suspension mounting points (depending on track length), other than that pretty much the same rear suspension except for some lightweight cross shafts. I have found some other lightweight parts that were not advertised, but overall it is an improved XM. I am waiting for the real new sled reveal, skinnier, lighter, simpler.
Get rid of the gimmicks.
Someone out there makes a lock-out kit for the T-mo, if I find it again I will post it. You could always just tack-weld it!! :tongue:

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
Skinz Protective Gear: These small turned Delrin parts limit the T-motion movement up to 90%. For the full on backcountry technical terrain rider who needs their Ski Doo to maintain a solid edge all the time, this is your solution. For some riders, the T-motion can wander a little too much during climbing and technical traversing and steep terrain riding. These limiters stabilize and settle the T-motion down just enough to create a predictable and dependable attitude when the machine is being pushed to the limits. Very easy to install and no modification is necessary. Turned parts install on each side of the swivel ball. This kit includes 4 sets so you will be able to install new limiters when you notice the parts are starting to wear. Depending on your riding, the limiters will last about 350-500 miles. This is a very low cost option to fine tune your machines rear suspension for the rider who needs a little more control.

Part # SDTM100

Price $49.95/set

C
Nov 27, 2007
Had a '13 pro and couldn't keep up to my buddies XMs. Fun sled but not the same. Jumped to a 174 last year and love it! Rode some stuff last year the pro would have had to stay on the beaten path! (I got a few amazing snow days in) The one thing that drives me nuts is that Polaris is more than willing to sell sleds at rock bottom prices for last years stock and killing the resale value for their current owners. Do hasn't done that in my parts from what I've seen.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Get rid of the gimmicks.

Not sure if you are kidding or not but my take on it is:

I have had 2 Polaris Pro 800's. An 11' and a 13'. I am now riding Ski-doo for this season and probably for the forseeable future. So I have ridden and owned the "Lighter" sled in the past.

DS3 ski was the first thing I chucked. SLP Powder Pro with Carl's cut like I always had on my Pro. Waiting for snow to see how that works on an XM

I always thought the flexedge was gimmick but if it works.....haven't rode mine yet so the jury is still out.

T-Motion....I may end up buying the Skinz lock out washers. Going to ride it with and without the sway bar attached and see if I have any issues. The lockout washers are pretty cheap to do if it works and I find it being an issue. I feel the T-Motion and Flexedge are directly related to the wider track. But you have to give up something when you add an inch for floatation.

Weight, well my 11' Pro was 430# and this sled is under 450# with HPS can. The Pro can was already super light so I never changed it. I think my 13' pro 163 was 425#. But with all the added bumpers, belt drive guard....I would bet it was closer to 430# easy and it always held snow in the tunnel. Does the T3 with a painted tunnel hold snow like the PRO?

Yes there will always be something better on the horizon. Next year or the year after. That's the nature of our society and consumerism but I personally choose a sled that I know will get me back to the truck with out a rope attached to the front bumper and with a local dealer that stands behind their product and not because standing behind it deflects gun fire.

We have very little snow up where we ride, about 14" is all, but I am going up to ride the roads/trails a bit and try to get used to the feel of the Ski-doo.

I am amped up to ride this year but bummed out with the lack of snow so far up here. Here's to praying for some white stuff!

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
the axys 163-3 is 530lbs
doo 174-3 is 550lbs....
now make that axys a 174 and there will be maybe 5-10 lbs difference, so saying the do is a pig is really funny.
But i do admit that the doo should be thinned out a couple inchs in the panels and rework the gas tank..hopefully doo has something coming out, even though i really do like my xm with the exceptions of a few minor issues like the pantyhose intakes being punctured,my xm has been the best doo ive ever owned by far.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Not sure if you are kidding or not but my take on it is:

I have had 2 Polaris Pro 800's. An 11' and a 13'. I am now riding Ski-doo for this season and probably for the forseeable future. So I have ridden and owned the "Lighter" sled in the past.

DS3 ski was the first thing I chucked. SLP Powder Pro with Carl's cut like I always had on my Pro. Waiting for snow to see how that works on an XM

I always thought the flexedge was gimmick but if it works.....haven't rode mine yet so the jury is still out.

T-Motion....I may end up buying the Skinz lock out washers. Going to ride it with and without the sway bar attached and see if I have any issues. The lockout washers are pretty cheap to do if it works and I find it being an issue. I feel the T-Motion and Flexedge are directly related to the wider track. But you have to give up something when you add an inch for floatation.

Weight, well my 11' Pro was 430# and this sled is under 450# with HPS can. The Pro can was already super light so I never changed it. I think my 13' pro 163 was 425#. But with all the added bumpers, belt drive guard....I would bet it was closer to 430# easy and it always held snow in the tunnel. Does the T3 with a painted tunnel hold snow like the PRO?

Yes there will always be something better on the horizon. Next year or the year after. That's the nature of our society and consumerism but I personally choose a sled that I know will get me back to the truck with out a rope attached to the front bumper and with a local dealer that stands behind their product and not because standing behind it deflects gun fire.

We have very little snow up where we ride, about 14" is all, but I am going up to ride the roads/trails a bit and try to get used to the feel of the Ski-doo.

I am amped up to ride this year but bummed out with the lack of snow so far up here. Here's to praying for some white stuff!

You will like it , the T Motion and flex edge track turn in very easy but are a bit harder to hold a line, they want to keep turning. I got used to that after a few rides. After a partial season on the XM 154 I would not lock out the Motion out anymore.Just watch if you shoot out over a lip at an angle it will take of on you. Once you used to it no problem. Did some uphill drags on a glacier at the end of the season and switching back and forth with my Buddies Pro the Doo takes way less energy to hold in a hard turn white open. Good skis will be a great improvement.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Good to hear. It was a hard choice to make between the Ski-doo and the Cat with all the improvements they made. I believe I made the right choice. I just have resist the temptation to go out and ride in this 6" to 12" of dealer snow right now. That in itself has been taking all of my self control! :)

Premium Features