• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Summit 174 First Ride Shots

B

Bturton

Oct 3, 2012
Medicine Hat, Ab
Don't think they moved the skid back, they moved one of the linkages back.

Did some more reading. Yup just the rear mount was moved back.
Thx Adam.

"On 174 skid, front arm mount is moved down 1 inch. Rear arm mount is moved down 1 inch and back 5.2 inches."

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
2015 summit

I went out and measured. 9' on a short box.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
They didn't coat the rails or few other parts like spindles and chaincase for weight savings, something like 2lbs saved from leaving rails raw, I wonder if the raw rails will have more then 2lbs of ice/snow cause of not being coated?

2 lb weight saving on paint.....:flypig:

and Lead paint was banned years ago....

On a more serious note, sled looks awesome and glad to see they stretched the spindles and gone to a wider/longer ski. 2 complaints of mine (mostly ski). They will make a difference.

Now when do we get a 3" on a 154???

OTM

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
2 lb weight saving on paint.....:flypig:

and Lead paint was banned years ago....

On a more serious note, sled looks awesome and glad to see they stretched the spindles and gone to a wider/longer ski. 2 complaints of mine (mostly ski). They will make a difference.

Now when do we get a 3" on a 154???

OTM

My thoughts on the 154 3" is that it is not for everyone, without good throttle control the 3 inch digs deep, on the 163/174 it is easier to manage with more floatation, a good rider knows how to hit the throttle then back off for that important moment to let the track catch up, there is a balance of letting off too much and having to wazoo it and dig to china or to let off the right amount and allow the track to grab and bring you up on top, because of this a 154 is not for everyone...you see this a lot with guys making huge trenches...that is not the way to get through something...the 3 inch will make that a nightmare for many and they will be getting very stuck...one of my 154's has just sat this winter since the 163 is so much more fun and there is no negative difference, I believe the 154 is extinct to me, I love wazooing all day with a 146 and using the terrain and tracks to climb and get around, it is what I like, and the 163 is as much fun as it just goes and picks up so nice without any negative in carving through trees...so really if you want to wazoo all day then go 146 if you want to bust trails on the deepest days, carve, jump and play etc. 163 and now 174 for king of the pow!! Anyon who wants a 154 3 inch should try a 163 2.5, in my opinion it is better. My thoughts only.

N

NITROSKIDUDE

Dec 12, 2003
SPOKANE WA.
Well I have not yet givin myself the opportunity to even try an XM I am currently on a 12 156 3 inche with an 860 BB and a 35 hp shot of nos and I love it. I have been missing the longer sleds though.
I had an RT with a 174 2.5 and then transferred the 174 to an 06 Rev and loved it.
So I am finally going to go and try an XM this weekend. it just happens to be the new 174 t3 XM for next year and I cant wait.
I am going to get me one and I really don't even need to be sold on it.
I don't think I will be getting much sleep Friday night.

jjmyzrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
Helena, MT
Well I have not yet givin myself the opportunity to even try an XM I am currently on a 12 156 3 inche with an 860 BB and a 35 hp shot of nos and I love it. I have been missing the longer sleds though.
I had an RT with a 174 2.5 and then transferred the 174 to an 06 Rev and loved it.
So I am finally going to go and try an XM this weekend. it just happens to be the new 174 t3 XM for next year and I cant wait.
I am going to get me one and I really don't even need to be sold on it.
I don't think I will be getting much sleep Friday night.

I will be in Chewelah, WA this weekend, where do I sign up for this demo?

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I had the opportunity to ride a T3 174. These are my impressions.
- The T3 is significantly easier then previous years xm's to initiate a side hill manuver. Once in a side hill I felt no difference except that the long track does not wash out and holds a line very well.
- The 800 Etec just keeps getting better and better, feels stronger then 14, doo must of tweaked the computer again to open the motor up even a little bit more.
- The new front end and lowered rear is a big mprovement in ground clearance. This has been an issue doo has always had compared to the other brands, they are taking it seriously now.
-trail manners were good, they seemed to put serious shocks on them now, we shall see. Perhaps they are valved better I'm not sure.
-The flick ability of the sled is pretty impressive considering the tail length, it does not feel as long as it is, it does show up on the spring crusted snow we were in most of the time pushing you here and there.
-But by far the most impressive aspect of the 174 was the motors ability to maintain good track speed in all conditions. I saw a consistent 43 mph pulling hills in 10" of spring powder all day. That is a lot of rubber to turn and load to push. This was really impressive to me.

We were riding from 9000-10500 feet, crusty to shallow powder conditions depending on aspect.

Now for the cool part, we drag raced up a hill 1000ft long that was 600 vertical at 10000ft on a south aspect with 8" of powder on a solid base. These were the results.

1st race. T3 174 vs stock 13 xm 163. Hotshot was almost even, 174 slowly but surely pulled away and won by one sled length.

2nd race. T3 174 vs stock 13 xm 156 3" paddle track light weight hood. T3 kicked its butt off the holeshot by 3 sled lengths (156 was digging a bit before it got off the line). 13 slowly but surely gained some distance back all the way up the hill to the top. 13 lost by one sled length at the top.

3rd race. T3 174 vs 14 163 w/872 trystad big bore, both sleds were even off the line. BB slowly but surely inched ahead all the way up the hill and one by one sled length over the T3 174.

Needless to say it was pretty impressive all things considered. I know this is useless without video but take it for what it's worth. This new sled is impressive and I see it getting people in stupid places. Should be interesting.

Last edited:

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Rode the 174 T3 today with the Mile High Power Sports folks. The conditions varied from wet and heavy down low to a foot of light fluffy up high on the north faces.

I offer a few observations:

1. The 174 hooks up very well and does not trench.

2. Side hill stability and control is very good.

3. The softer, lighter and deeper the snow the better, the deep keel of the new ski seems to require extra effort in wetter heavier snow to initiate counter steer or turns.

4.The 174 really shines boondocking!

Looking forward to riding my Black 174 T3 next season. :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
I rode the T3 in conditions from hardpack trail to hip deep powder this weekend. Very impressed. Sidehilling and carving- much better with the new front suspension tweaks.

Ruined a turbo pro RMK in climbing steep and deep. The sleds floats and climbs better than anything on the market right now. Sled made lots of track speed and ran very crisp. More power than my '14.

X
Apr 16, 2014
I rode the T3 in conditions from hardpack trail to hip deep powder this weekend. Very impressed. Sidehilling and carving- much better with the new front suspension tweaks.

Ruined a turbo pro RMK in climbing steep and deep. The sleds floats and climbs better than anything on the market right now. Sled made lots of track speed and ran very crisp. More power than my '14.

was it the 163 or 174?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Were you the one who bent the nun?
I was looking at the t3 174 at cc in eagle river today and its already bent :)
Pointed it out to korey and mentioned pinecones.
Got a few excuses thrown around.
Bottom line. Weak!

Premium Features