• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil level concern/ New Pro owner

rrjames

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2012
Missoula, MT
New Polaris owner here. I bought my PRO 800 last week and have been loving it. While I'm still breaking it in it still rips.

I have about 40miles on it so far and am about 1/3rd of the way through my break in tank. Today when we stopped for lunch I decided to mark my current oil level with a pencil and see how much the sled eats. (to give me an idea of what life will be like when I don't have anymore oil in the tank) The results concerned me but I might just be hyper-sensitive between the new sled and the vast oil consumption of my previous sled.

In the 12-15 miles the oil level in the oil tank moved between a 1/4 and half inch down the resivour(pardon my crap spelling). I realize this wasn't very scientific and I will post a picture of my line and the current level. A flashlight does not show the level very as the oil simply changes color under its light.

My previous fuel and oil sucking beast pounded through about a quart every 7-8 gallons so you guys will have to bear with me I really don't know where the bar should be on this one?

How many gallons have people been using to get the tank down to say the add line?

Sorry nervous parent here please ease my mind.:face-icon-small-dis

P.S. is that the brake pads tapping against the rotor or the reverse hilux that makes the slight racket when speeds are in transition? Hijacking my own thread here, no play in the jackshaft that I could detect, anyone have a guess what this could be?

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Well it's using oil so that's good. Can't really judge the usage off of a 15 mi run.
Read up on the oil threads on the Pro. Most people turn up the oiler.
To check it fill the oil and gas all the way up. Then after running it a day refill and measure the oil and gas added to the same level. Oh and keep addin oil to the gas if you're questioning oil usage.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
These motors do not use oil like older generations. I typically see 2 to 2 1/2 tanks of fuel to one tank of oil

Mileage to oil ratio is going to be hard to judge as fuel mileage is conditional.

Adds few ounces of oil to the gas and ride. I've got a combined 5000 miles between my 11 assault and my 13 pro doing this. Zero engine issues

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Both my 12 and 13 Pro's use very little oil. I did not turn up my pump as many did, I don't think the oil use is linear with turning up the pump. So I add 1 ounce of oil for every gallon of gas. I think it's a safe thing to do. The sled uses so little oil that even with adding oil to the gas I still use very little oil.

rrjames

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2012
Missoula, MT
Yeah thanks for the replies guys. It looks as if everything is a-ok oil wise I'm still trying to figure out a rattle I have when its spooling up and down. Seems like the brake alleviates it a bit....I'm at a loss on that one.

I checked the jackshaft for play but found nothing. Oil tank moves around and could tap I suppose...

B
Mar 1, 2009
Turn up your pump if you want it to last. Mine went from 70-80 to 1 to 30 to 1 .
Cant believe anybody is so dense to think that turning up the pump doesn't increase oil usage.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Turn up your pump if you want it to last. Mine went from 70-80 to 1 to 30 to 1 .
Cant believe anybody is so dense to think that turning up the pump doesn't increase oil usage.

I don't think anyone ever said it didn't increase your oil usage, I simply said turning up your oil pump does not make the oil delivery linear. Adding it to your gas insures it's always there, regardless of throttle position. So no need to call anyone dense. We all get what you're saying.

A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
I don't think anyone ever said it didn't increase your oil usage, I simply said turning up your oil pump does not make the oil delivery linear. Adding it to your gas insures it's always there, regardless of throttle position. So no need to call anyone dense. We all get what you're saying.

The oil delivery isn't linear no matter if you turn your pump up or not. Oil usage is affected mostly by throttle position and secondly by engine RPM. Throttle position has a far greater affect on oil usage than engine RPM. It's not even close actually.

If you wired the oil pump wide open and let the sled idle the oil tank will be empty before the sled even burns 1 gallon of fuel.

To the OP. Turn up the oil pump adjuster if you want the motor to last. Adding oil to the fuel does almost nothing to lubricate the motor.

My '13 pro started with a 70:1 fuel oil ratio. I cranked up the adjuster 3.5 turns. now it's 35:1.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
When I pulled up on the oil pump rod with the engine idling the oil delivery was not a constant flow. It delivered the oil in "spurts" as I watched the air bubbles move through the lines. I adjusted my oiler up so there are about 2.5threads showing. Using about a quart of oil or slightly more per 8-9 gallons. Not adding any to the tank yet.

rrjames

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2012
Missoula, MT
I'm not sure I follow entirely on turning up the oil pump.

I came from a sled were you adjusted the oil buy adding or removing slack from the oil cable. As I understand it this sled lacks this adjustment.

So if my understanding of the pump on this sled is correct wouldn't turning it up merely adjust the amount of oil delivered at idle? Because if I'm right I don't see the point you'd just be taking up slack on the pump use the same amount of oil at 4000k+ and be idling really rich. I would consider this delivery wasteful and would rather add to my gas, but I'm hoping I'm wrong...

I'm not trying to start a flame war in here please keep your comments civil in here guys

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
800 Oil Usage

Just bought a 2013 800 PRO-R 800 (3) weeks ago and put 500+ miles on it on our first cross country trip.

Checked the oil usage over the first 300 miles ride and it's 80:1

I've been adding oil into the tank, but will be adjusting the pump before the next trip.

Just returned from a trip out West where we rented 2013 PRO 600 & 800 RMK's.
Mechanic at the rental place showed me where they adjusted the oil pump on the adjuster screw. Says they adjusted their 800's (1) full turn and it resulted in only a slight increase in oil usage, so it seems AK IQ Pilot's suggestion of 3+ turns may be what's needed.

The rental place had a dozen or so 800's with 3000+ miles on their 2013 800's with NO engine issues. They had replaced all their drive-shafts with steel ones, as even the left side bearing stubs had snapped off (3 were sittin' on the shelf )

I'm scheduled for another 500 mile trip in a week and a half from now, will try adjusting mine (2) full turns and report back.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Pros come set pretty lean from the factory. Two strokes need oil, I don't care what the marketing department or the EPA says. I turned my oiler up 2.5 turns and it's about 40:1 now.

Even at 40:1 my 12 800 averages 300 miles to a tank of oil. Granted the idiot light comes on when it's 2/3 full, but I guess better safe than sorry.

In short, your Pro doesn't eat much oil. Turn up the oiler (which increases the ratio throughout the RPM range) and ride it.

1,600 miles on mine and no issues. If I stay on track I'll break 2,500 miles this season.

A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
I'm not sure I follow entirely on turning up the oil pump.

I came from a sled were you adjusted the oil buy adding or removing slack from the oil cable. As I understand it this sled lacks this adjustment.

So if my understanding of the pump on this sled is correct
wouldn't turning it up merely adjust the amount of oil delivered at idle? Because if I'm right I don't see the point you'd just be taking up slack on the pump use the same amount of oil at 4000k+ and be idling really rich. I would consider this delivery wasteful and would rather add to my gas, but I'm hoping I'm wrong...

I'm not trying to start a flame war in here please keep your comments civil in here guys

No, you are not understanding how the oil pump adjustment works on this motor. The adjustment affects the entire range of throttle movement. Just like adjusting the cable on an old style oil pump affects the entire range of throttle movement.

Adding oil to your fuel tank has almost no positive affect on lubricating the motor. At best, it helps the rings seal better and at worst it clogs your injectors and increases the unburned deposits on the top of the pistons and exhaust valves as well as clogging the ring lands with gumming oil deposits. Any oil that may get on the cylinder wall is immediately wiped off by the ring as the piston heads towards TDC.

For discussions sake, lets say your motor is currently consuming oil at 2oz/gal. That is a Fuel:Oil ratio of 64:1. Now you add another oz of oil to the gas tank for every gallon of fuel. Your new Fuel:Oil ratio is 42:1. So now you have a 50% increase in oil usage but not one bit of that oil is being used to lubricate the rotating assembly. No additional oil is lubricating the crank bearings. No additional oil is lubricating the center shaft and waterpump gears. An almost unmeasurable amount of oil is lubricating the cylinder and piston. Most of the additional oil is just fouling the Injector Tips, Piston Domes, Exhaust Valves and Spark Plugs.

Turning up the oil pump is simple but more importantly, it increases lubrication to the rotating assembly of the motor where it's needed most.

rrjames

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2012
Missoula, MT
Alright already I get it....:face-icon-small-ton thanks guys now I need a link to a good thread on turning her up. I get where it is I just want it to be easy.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Ok, those in the know help me to understand this. I have "not" turned up my pumps on either my 12 or 13 Pro's, no issues. I know guys have for a long time deleted oil injection systems to save weight. Two strokes have added oil to their gas for years with no issues. So just so I'm not wasteing money by adding oil to my gas I would appreciate knowing why there is no benefit from adding oil to your gas tank. Not trying to start anything, I as well as others would like to know.

B
Mar 1, 2009
I just bought a new 13 assault turned it up 5 turns before we even ride it.My 11 has 1800 miles, pulled the cylinders last week to have a look,everything seemed perfect ,but i had already ordered woosner pistons to drop in.Local dealer has a 13 pro with 400 miles and left crank bearing locked up,owner said it wasn't using much oil, TURN THEM UP!!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Ok, those in the know help me to understand this. I have "not" turned up my pumps on either my 12 or 13 Pro's, no issues. I know guys have for a long time deleted oil injection systems to save weight. Two strokes have added oil to their gas for years with no issues. So just so I'm not wasteing money by adding oil to my gas I would appreciate knowing why there is no benefit from adding oil to your gas tank. Not trying to start anything, I as well as others would like to know.

The CFI2 is transfer port injected, only one injector per cylinder inserted just south of the top of the transfer port - any oil mixed with gas will be injected directly into the transfers and immediately pulled up to the combustion chamber, and not come close to the main, rod, and piston pin bearings. That's why you cannot oil injection delete CFI2's. At all. Hope that helps.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Just bought a 2013 800 PRO-R 800 (3) weeks ago and put 500+ miles on it on our first cross country trip.

Checked the oil usage over the first 300 miles ride and it's 80:1

I've been adding oil into the tank, but will be adjusting the pump before the next trip.

Just returned from a trip out West where we rented 2013 PRO 600 & 800 RMK's.
Mechanic at the rental place showed me where they adjusted the oil pump on the adjuster screw. Says they adjusted their 800's (1) full turn and it resulted in only a slight increase in oil usage, so it seems AK IQ Pilot's suggestion of 3+ turns may be what's needed.

The rental place had a dozen or so 800's with 3000+ miles on their 2013 800's with NO engine issues. They had replaced all their drive-shafts with steel ones, as even the left side bearing stubs had snapped off (3 were sittin' on the shelf )

I'm scheduled for another 500 mile trip in a week and a half from now, will try adjusting mine (2) full turns and report back.

UPDATE:

Gave the adjuster (3) full turns

Went from 80:1 to 70:1

Checked it over a 400 mile ride

Going to give it another 4-5 turns

2,000 miles on the 2013 -800 still runnin'

A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
Its still a 2 stroke engine and it has ports in the cylinders. The fuel mix is still gonna go through the bottom end. Its not direct injection yet.

I hate to come off sounding like an a$$ but you could not possibly be more wrong. As clearly described earlier in this thread, a CFI 2 motor only has injectors in the transfer ports. Oil added to the fuel tank goes through these injectors and directly into the cylinder above the piston and into combustion chamber.

Without oil injection no oil what so ever makes it to the crank, rods, bearings, water pump gear or piston skirts. Only the oil pump lubricates these components.

Premium Features