• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RK Tek 860 ETEC out there and running great!

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Been working on the ETEC Big Bore for a while...

Making sure it can run on pump gas and no fuel controller and be totally reliable and safe whilst making the big pull (This was of the utmost importance)!.

Pleased to announce that the 860 ETEC kit is much stronger than expected!! VERY fun sled to ride!

No fuel controller required and massive power everywhere...

This kit is very inexpensive and will surprise just about everybody once you get on the hill..

Made a few vids--> http://www.youtube.com/user/torqueline/videos?view=0 the snow was heavy and wet (can't control the weather).. More to come as the season continues.

Stay tuned!!

Last edited:

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
How are you running a big bore without a fuel controller? Do you flash the ecu or am I missing something, does the Etec ecu self compensate or what...I'm confused :confused:

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Kelsey, I noticed the tach sitting at 7900/8000. Is that the peak or is there clutching to be perfected?

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Kelsey, I noticed the tach sitting at 7900/8000. Is that the peak or is there clutching to be perfected?

Good question..
The ETECs are designed to run at 7900 and fall off hard after 8100. So, we have to keep this kit running in that range (and we have done just that)

As for HP gains?? The 925 in the videos with it is rated at 195+ HP:face-icon-small-dis

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Looks pretty good Kelsey, how many miles on your test motors?

No way to know for sure but doing some simple math....Probably WELL over 2,000,000 miles considering we have been doing this 860 for 6 years and almost 1000 kits out there over those 6 years..

Clutching.. Currently running stock clutching with the clickers turned down and some different gearing.. Seems to work well (better than expected)

Will be playing with other set ups as well, but this one is not bad...

When you are making this kind of power, the clutching adapts just fine...

Clutching sleds that have narrow power bands or do not make big power are difficult.. clutching sleds that have huge power band widths and make big power are easy...

Last edited:

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Interesting coming from the guy that said never to buy a etec becuase it was impossible to a BB and it would never make any power compared to a ptec.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
No way to know for sure but doing some simple math....Probably WELL over 2,000,000 miles considering we have been doing this 860 for 6 years and almost 1000 kits out there over those 6 years..

Clutching.. Currently running stock clutching with the clickers turned down and some different gearing.. Seems to work well (better than expected)

Will be playing with other set ups as well, but this one is not bad...

When you are making this kind of power, the clutching adapts just fine...

Clutching sleds that have narrow power bands or do not make big power are difficult.. clutching sleds that have huge power band widths and make big power are easy...

I may be wrong, but I think he was referring to the e-tec BB specifically. :face-icon-small-win

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
I may be wrong, but I think he was referring to the e-tec BB specifically. :face-icon-small-win

The top end of the ETEC and the PTEK are the same except for a lube hole for the RAVE valves... same bottom end as well (except for the sealed crank bearings.. not related to the big bore at all

So, you can install a PTEK engine in an ETEC (with a slight RAVE area mod) and you can install an ETEC engine in a PTEK..

So, I guess what I am getting at is this... The only difference with respect to the big bore is the fueling (injected vs carb).. ALL else remains the same.... So, the primary testing that is required , since all else is the same, is the fuel management.. and this is very easy to test. All other other critcal big bore testing components are the same between the ETEC and the PTEK.. an dhave been tested for over 6 years..

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Seems to me trystaad had one first, and I do recall a certain someone bashing the etec saying due to the ETEC technology a BB couldn't be done. Dave has his 872 running awsome on pump gas and no controller. My dealer cannot keep the kits in stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Seems to me trystaad had one first, and I do recall a certain someone bashing the etec saying due to the ETEC technology a BB couldn't be done. Dave has his 872 running awsome on pump gas and no controller. My dealer cannot keep the kits in stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember hear something to that as well.

But it does look like it runs pretty good though. I guess we all will here how it holds up in the E Tec version soon enough.

Last edited:
R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
As many things in this world when they come out, modification seem impossibile. As time moves on, things change and new directions appear. Technology is difficult to keep up with, especially with BRP. Give these guys credit for what they do. They give us options for performance that we would never have. It doesn't matter who was first or who is best right now, because it changes all the time and it is only an opinion that says that.
Thank you for all your hard work and R and D. It makes my life more enjoyable.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
I would hope you have something better then that lame video!

M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
As many things in this world when they come out, modification seem impossibile. As time moves on, things change and new directions appear. Technology is difficult to keep up with, especially with BRP. Give these guys credit for what they do. They give us options for performance that we would never have. It doesn't matter who was first or who is best right now, because it changes all the time and it is only an opinion that says that.
Thank you for all your hard work and R and D. It makes my life more enjoyable.

No opinions on time frame, bone fact is Trygstad has been building the 872 for 3 yrs now with awesome success, just sayin

Premium Features