• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has gone from Pro to XM?

C
Feb 26, 2012
McCall, ID
Similar but different

Very good thread. We have ridden both Poo and Doo historically. Have XP, XP w/ S36 and XM today. We ride with Pros in our party all the time and we've spent a bit of time comparing. One of our riders is somewhat new to the sport and has struggled to get his Pro to work well for him. Others with more experience have liked it a lot but noted the spindle diving issues on downhills and the fact that you have to really stay on top of it. What I noted in riding them side by side is that the motor on the Doo is obviously more powerful and the sled seems to be more balanced. Finding the sweet spot on the Pro is more challenging than finding it on the XM. Even though the XM is heavier, it does not feel so. Another observation in comparing them is that the Doo track is clearly better in deep powder. In fact, I've done a few steep starts that would have been impossible on the XPs or the Pros. Although Doos are getting better on the ergo front, Poo is still better. It's like they know where my arms are in relation to my legs and hands. XM has improved on this front but still feels a bit awkward. I may be able to adjust this out of the picture.

Last observation is that the XP can't compare to either and should only be ridden when the snow quality forgives its ill-mannered behavior. So why do we own two??? The reason we moved to Doos had more to do with my frustration on the reliability front. I replace pistons on the 800R and E-Tecs at 2500 miles and have never seen a power-plant failure. I can count the number of days not riding due to mechanical failure on one finger (over 5 years) for our Doos.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I agree with about everything Devilmanak says. I own both a 13 Pro and 13 XM. I am super impressed with the XM track. So many times when working through the trees really slow the sled will start to dig in, right to the point where you think it's going to trench out. On the 12 you were stuck and it was better not to dig it in past that point. On the XM I've learned to just pin it and lean back a little and the front comes up and it just pops right up on the snow. On the steeper sidehills(only place the Pro has an edge) I get way up in the new notch in the side panels and counter steer to the stop. I've even put a boot on the grip teeth on the spindle if needed. I think there is some set up work that will help the steep side hills too like pulling up on the limiter strap. One thing that really needs help is the front springs or springs/shocks. They are way too soft and the ski can just bottom out when crossing ruts in a sidehill. Watch someone ride and the ski just snaps up and down throughout the full travel range when crossing a rutted slope on one ski.

Good thread people, makes me want to ride the XM... My '13 Pro, I like it a lot but the predictability is not like my M chassis's. But the way the pro stays on top and just goes makes up for it. I need more seat time for sure.... I did have a rev 800 and for me there was more cons then pros. Front to back control on the rev seemed to be golden, kinda like a quad or dirt bike. I loved that part of rev and I assume the XM still has that?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The level of riding people are at seems to be the divider between what you like. The xm is easier and rides better. The pro is alittle more advanced to get the most out of it. Devilmanaks Comment about going in a circle On the pro is a minor thing that can be corrected with throttle control. If you let off the throttle for a split second when you come around the corner it will throw your weight to the outside so you don't keep coming around. The xm is awesome but the pro is just as easy if ridden properly.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I understand your point, but you are making asumptions about the situations I was in with the Pro where it had a mind of it's own, there was no lettting off the throttle or it would have been buried on a nasty hill.

M

McTwist700

Dec 2, 2010
Whitehorse Yukon
I agree with about everything Devilmanak says. I own both a 13 Pro and 13 XM. I am super impressed with the XM track. So many times when working through the trees really slow the sled will start to dig in, right to the point where you think it's going to trench out. On the 12 you were stuck and it was better not to dig it in past that point. On the XM I've learned to just pin it and lean back a little and the front comes up and it just pops right up on the snow. On the steeper sidehills(only place the Pro has an edge) I get way up in the new notch in the side panels and counter steer to the stop. I've even put a boot on the grip teeth on the spindle if needed. I think there is some set up work that will help the steep side hills too like pulling up on the limiter strap. One thing that really needs help is the front springs or springs/shocks. They are way too soft and the ski can just bottom out when crossing ruts in a sidehill. Watch someone ride and the ski just snaps up and down throughout the full travel range when crossing a rutted slope on one ski.

I've noticed the same things about the front shocks. I have new Elka's on order for the front. I like my front end to be soft and the stock shocks just aint cutting it when kept soft, I bottom out too much.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I've noticed the same things about the front shocks. I have new Elka's on order for the front. I like my front end to be soft and the stock shocks just aint cutting it when kept soft, I bottom out too much.

Are we talking about SP or X shocks? I assume everyone is referring to the SP model?

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Wow....you guys are really throwing me off my game. This has got to be the best thread i have read in months. This is what this forum is supposed be all about. Great, honest, informative comments. Love it....

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Lol. Here is some interesting info:
I thought I read here that it was 22 gallons through the injectors unitl break in is complete. The dealer told me today (after a Skidoo dealer meeting) that it is 33 gallons. Geez, I am only only 1/3 of the way there. :)

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I bet you won't notice any difference. I can't tell any difference between ethenol and non on the pro. I had every year of rev and they were supposed to have a breakin on them. Everyone always said they will really run after they are broke in. I didn't notice any difference. Maybe I'm wrong on the e tec but I doubt it.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
How can technical and mountain machine riding be compared when you are from Sask flat as can be there compared to where I live BC.I am currently on a 12 pro and am looking to check a 14 sled.So far I have not been able to try an XM but will try booking the BRP demo when it comes to town.I ride with a guy that ride a 10XP and like another guy said it like riding a washing machine full all it wants to do is right itself and go straight.I am not biased and will definatly be trying an XM.It sounds like they still have clutching issues un like the Pro which is always pulling in the sweet spot.Keep the comparisons coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqIFkYUHzpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB7MgIbdLzE

You might just be able to learn a thing or two from the dirty little flatlander!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The E-tec is a totally different animal, and there is a difference after breakin. THe breakin settings are MUCH more involved than the old sleds, the old sleds just had timing differences. The Etec has oiling, timing, and whatever else they could think of differences. The demo I helped to break in woke way way up after the 33 gallons.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i sno-checked a black 163, then bought an orange 163 for my wife....sold two, her 08 dragon 700, my 10 m-8...her comments, it looks much bigger, do you think i can handle it?...seat seems nice, i have to go way forward to see the instruments, steers easy, way more power, love the electric start, like the windshield storage (we got the bigger box), hand warmers that work (the poo kept burning out the voltage regulator), quiet, easy throttle, easy to ride in the powder, good float, easy for her to do moderate sidehills (she's 5'2'', 120 lbs.), she feels more confident on the xm than any previous sled, after four days in Wyo on the CDTS, she was confident and ready to tackle more and bigger stuff.....my comments, sled feels light for its' weight, washes out when laying it over (side panels float sled), maybe going to the wide ski stance might help, sled just keeps climbing, balance points different than the m-8, but good, power is strong, but not like my m-1000, sled floats in the fluff very well, confident in the trees, but you can definitely stick it, then the weight shows, ride on trail is excellent (yup, i do some), e-start is great, goes far on a tank of gas (more fun), side hills well until panels reach limit, nice to have the forward footwell in tight/technical stuff, side to side balance is very good, way better than the xps, steep climbs easy to control in varied snow conditions (maybe tightened limiter strap, but other trade-offs i'm not sure i want), feeling of quality with the sled i don't get with the cat, or especially the poo, ....would either of us go back to previous sleds?...no...would either of us want to trade for either of the competitors (even though we've both ridden them)....no...i guess that says it all for us...:wave:

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
Long story told short. Been running Ski-Doo's for 27 years, in '04 I bought a rev, machine made me want to quit snowmobiling, went back to the zx and decided to wait for something different. Have ridden an '08 and '10 xp in the year when they came out and still kept waiting. At the beginning of this season I s'ploded the engine in the zx again,[thats another story] I figured it was time to try something different so I bought a Polpro , this machine is very capable has run flawless the short time I have had it and is a blast to ride.And then my son decides to keep the Ski-Doo torch burnin' and trades off his m1000 and get's a rev xm ........................................I am absolutely stunned at how well this machine handles, this is the machine I waited 9 years for. It's good to see Ski-Doo building a machine that is fun to ride again. I am not going to take anything away from the pro just yet, but if I would have ridden both before I bought I would likely be on an xm.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
I Have a '12 Pro 155" and a '13 XM 154". The XM is head & shoulders a better sled than the '11 XP that I traded for it, but I personally prefer the Pro. I think the build quality and dependability are better on the XM than the Pro, but the Pro is just wicked, fun to ride. Deciding which sled is better really comes down to what your personal preference and riding style is. I like to ride the tight, twisty, steep ravines and creek bottoms, and that is where the Pro just rocks. The more you wick that sled, the more fun it is. The XM has more HP on paper, but the Pro seems to put it's lesser HP to the snow more efficiently. Both are great sleds, but I still prefer the Pro for the way that I like to ride. Life is good.

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
As a rider who has both a 12 Pro and an XM. I feel I should add that since my first post on this thread my Pro has gone down. At 679 miles the Pro lost a crank bearing and punched a hole in the bottom of the case. At this point I have 0 desire to ride a Pro again. I ride with several guys who have Pros. I do not know of any of them that have made it past 800 miles without towing their machine into the dealership.

Since I spend time on both the Pro forum and here in the XM section I find it comical how much guys defend the Polaris. It is just a matter of time.

I am not biased nor brand loyal as I have had both brands for many years and enjoy riding both...but at this point there is no reason to continue buying Polaris junk.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
As a rider who has both a 12 Pro and an XM. I feel I should add that since my first post on this thread my Pro has gone down. At 679 miles the Pro lost a crank bearing and punched a hole in the bottom of the case. At this point I have 0 desire to ride a Pro again. I ride with several guys who have Pros. I do not know of any of them that have made it past 800 miles without towing their machine into the dealership.

Since I spend time on both the Pro forum and here in the XM section I find it comical how much guys defend the Polaris. It is just a matter of time.

I am not biased nor brand loyal as I have had both brands for many years and enjoy riding both...but at this point there is no reason to continue buying Polaris junk.

I also ride both also don't owe either of them any real loyalty. Since 2000 have had 4 Doo's, 3 poo. Have done crank seals on 4 Doo engines had to do top ends on 2, bottom end on 1. Over 3000 miles on all the poo motors, not one motor issue, 3400 on the 11 pro, just put in new pistons and rings. The draggins sucked as did the 07 Doo and the 08 Doo, absolute junk from box.
I like the XM so far, love the pro, the 13 is even better, and the poo seems to have made a good mountain chassis without all the Doo dads and compensations to make it handle, the KISS concept. Biggest complaint on XM, clutching is still the same junk as always.
Since I spend time on both Doo and poo forum, I find it comical how the Doo crew constantly bash the poo sleds, which maybe why the poo guys defend it. I don't know why it matters so much to them. My 2 cents, nobody bashs other brands and crows about the reason for their choice louder than Doo guys, not sure why, since 11 , I suggest it's a little envy that Poo actually built a mountain sled.

Premium Features