• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has gone from Pro to XM?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I don't want another "which is better" thread, but I am curious, has anyone had a 2013 Pro, hated it, bought an XM and been absolutely thrilled with it? I could NOT ride my Pro to save my life, I had about given up on being a "mountain rider", then I got my XM and it is the complete opposite. I can put that XM places I would have been scared to death to put the Pro. I am really dumbfounded, I know the Pros are good, I have watched plenty of guys wheel them, but I couldn't do it. I don't get it. Anyone else have the same experience?

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
I have both.

The Pro has a sweet spot that can make a beginner much more confident...especially sidehilling. The XM has superior balance and can be maneuvered with the throttle. I feel there is not a sweet spot that needs to be found and held on the XM. Maneuvering in tight terrain takes less effort- I use far less effort in a day riding the Ski Doo. Not to mention the underpowered Pro feels like my older IQ 700 with a little more torque.

I watch my buddies that think the Pro can do no wrong make the same mistakes over and over. I love to hear the excuses.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
I think the pros are a great sled for the right people. The ones I have ridden with work extremely well.....even though they do have less power. They just flat out work. But having said that.....I HATE the chassis. I can see where they would be good for some riders, but I think an aggressive rider is going to have more fun, and be able to do more on an XP/XM. Just my humble opinion.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Wow, interesting! For me, it came down to ergonomics making me feel very uncomfortable/uneasy/unconfident on the Pro. Well, so not to bash the Poo and start that mess, I will list what I think I DO love about the XM that makes me feel so confident on it:
1) The boards are wide. I have screwy ankles from motorcross injuries, being able to keep my feet entirely on the boards makes me feel much better when riding:
2) Bars. I have to have some uptilt to the ends of my bars or it hurts my wrist to push down on the right when initiating a sidehill.
3) Throttle flipper. Perfect size, larger ones make my hand hurt right out of the gate and are hard to get my trigger finger on when needing to.
4) Suspension. My XP has the "disposable" shocks on it, but it has a fantastic ride and it is harder to bottom than my last sled.
5) No glue. I feel that the Skidoo is going to be worth more in the long run, and I am more confident about not having to deal with parts coming apart on the trail.
6) On board storage that I don't have to pay for.
7) The engine that I know will go for over 2000 miles. :)
8) Arctic Cat engines take two pulls cold to start. My Pro took 3. This Skidoo takes ONE, warm or cold. Kinda strange.
9) This could be a negative or positive, I hate the sound it makes when idling. BUT, my bud and I rode yesterday, identical XM sleds, and we could talk to each other parked side by side without killing the engines!
10) Balance. On my Pro, if I had two feet on one side, turning up a sidehill and didn't get a foot back over at JUST the right time, that sled would keep turning around and point back downhill. Yesterday I did something on the XM that would have put me upside down on the Pro, in that I had both feet on one side, steep right sidehill and had to turn up to go straight up the hill between two trees, all I had to do was lean into the seat with my knees and I could go from sidehill to straight up the hill and the sled went where I wanted to, with both feet on one side.
There is a lot more, but it all corresponds to confidence and comfort when riding and trying things. I have watched guys do great things on the Pro, I just couldn't do them. I can on the XM.
I do miss a few things about the Pro:
My 2013 was FAST and very QUICK, both engine and clutching. Not sure if I had an abnormally quick one or not, but I didn't want any more out of the engine on that sled. I felt is was every bit as strong as my 2012 Cat. I had 277 miles on it and it felt stronger every ride. I have yet to ride a fully broken in XM, but the ones I have ridden feel sluggish/boggy. Like they could use some clutch work. The Polaris felt spot on for me at 5-8K feet. Really snappy. The back shift when coming down hills was also much better on the Pro, on teh XM I have to occasionally burp the throttle to engage the clutches to get engine braking. The Pro brakes were pretty awesome also, really touchy though. The XM brakes work fine, but it is a different feeling having brakes on the driver vs jackshaft. The XM brakes feel very much like Cat Diamond Drive brakes. Kinda poor feel. They work fine, just not a lot of feedback from them.
Chris

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
The XM do need a bit of clutch work, but you might as well wait till it is broke in. That way the ECM is not screwing around with you.

I had a 12 pro last year, it was a food sled but I'm back on skidoo this year and waaaayyyy more fun than my pro.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Just got back from Cooke. Rode a 13 pro for 2 day and a cat for 1. I have yet to ride an xm. Prior to this thread I was convinced that the pro had to be the best handling sled on the mnts. Hard tight sides hills were effortless. Slow downhill turns and switches back up hill were easily done. Power seemed better than the 12 and just seemed light on the hill. I did notice, as stated above, while making a hard downhill turn and heading back up hill if you don't center the weight on the sled early you will snap it all the way around. Figured most of this was do to rider inadequacies.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Just got back from Cooke. Rode a 13 pro for 2 day and a cat for 1. I have yet to ride an xm. Prior to this thread I was convinced that the pro had to be the best handling sled on the mnts. Hard tight sides hills were effortless. Slow downhill turns and switches back up hill were easily done. Power seemed better than the 12 and just seemed light on the hill. I did notice, as stated above, while making a hard downhill turn and heading back up hill if you don't center the weight on the sled early you will snap it all the way around. Figured most of this was do to rider inadequacies.

Try an XM and let us know what you think!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The XM do need a bit of clutch work, but you might as well wait till it is broke in. That way the ECM is not screwing around with you.

I had a 12 pro last year, it was a food sled but I'm back on skidoo this year and waaaayyyy more fun than my pro.

Yah, I am not messing with it until it ios off break-in. I hope that bog goes away. 45 more miels today, lots of trail, and it is really noticeable, a dead spot at 1/4 throttle. Engine is waking up though, when it comes on I need to hold on, lol. Pulls WAY harder and faster than the Pro, I think the Pro is geared very low. The XM will do almost 80 with no problems, anmd keep pulling.

S

scott t

Dec 6, 2010
Northern Wisconsin
I don't want another "which is better" thread, but I am curious, has anyone had a 2013 Pro, hated it, bought an XM and been absolutely thrilled with it? I could NOT ride my Pro to save my life, I had about given up on being a "mountain rider", then I got my XM and it is the complete opposite. I can put that XM places I would have been scared to death to put the Pro. I am really dumbfounded, I know the Pros are good, I have watched plenty of guys wheel them, but I couldn't do it. I don't get it. Anyone else have the same experience?
Just like you I have always rode the poo and tried the doo last few times out west (the XP). Love the E-Tec engine but the chassis just didnt work for my riding style. Its good to see the XM is working so well and cant wait to try one out.

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
I thought my 2012 poo was the best sled to handle in the technical terrain ever until... I'm on an xm this year and they are better. Easier to ride, less twitchy, more predictable, easy to put it exactly where you want it, and smoother on the trail. Not that it matters there anyway, but it's nice. After riding the xm for a few hundred miles, get back on the pro and you won't want to ride the polaris ever again.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I am very surprised (and pleased) to hear all this feedback! Honestly, I thought the Pro was hands down "the" sled to have, expecially after my 12 Cat. I snowchecked a Pro without ever riding one. I rode my bud's 2011 after I had already snowchecked a new one, thought it felt odd to ride, but figured I would learn how to do it. I never did. I got on my 12 Cat and INSTANTLY felt comfortable, I just struggled with it on the mountain. When I hopped on the XM I also felt instantly confortable. Strange. Be interesting to hear who feels comfortable on what, and what they are coming off of, as far as sleds.
Me, I last owned a Polaris in 99, I bought an preproduction XC500SP to race in Alaska. (Worked at a dealership.) Sold it to my ex finacee, it is probably a rusty heap right where I left it when the beeyotch went psycho. Anyway, since then it was Skidoos (early to mid 2000's), then an 04 MOD King Cat (LOVED IT) and an F7, a string of SnoPro Race sleds (05-09), an 07 MOD M1000 (hated it) and the 2012 Cat. Maybe I was just brought up on Cats/Doos and don't know how to ride a Poo?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Oh, to add to my list in post number 6:
Handwarmers - LOVE the adjustability and screen readout.
HATE the fact that I cannot see the guage when sitting, and half the time when standing.
I do miss the Pro telling me the engine temp so I know if I am doing things right or not.
LOVE the Skidoo handlebar bag I have, OMG, best thing ever. Holds a hat, cell phone, map, bag of jerky in the front, and it holds 3x 16 ounce beverages in the back, plus another water or bottle of something crosswise on top. Good stuff.
I am REALLY digging the running boards and their size. I find myself in the oddest positions, feet behind each other in strange ways, etc., there is plenty of room and no slipping.
I liked the (holy sheet, I am gonna say it) FLICKABILITY of the Pro. As far as hopping off a bump and changing the direction of the sled, it did felel nice, easier to move the sled around than the XM.
To be perfectly honest, I think that Polaris built a sled that is too difficult to ride for the masses. (As far as performace.) The fact that it will spin a 360 on a hill when you don't want it to points to that. Burandt can use that, I cannot. I look like a zero riding a Pro, but a hero riding an XM.

P
Dec 5, 2009
Hood
Sidehilling

How is the XM to sidehill on steep stuff like 35 degrees plus. I've never ridden one but from the videos I've seen, it looks like they wash out when trying to hold a steep line. I would agree that the Pro has a sweet spot that's not for everyone but when it comes to holding a steep sidehill, they seem to hold a good edge.

M

McTwist700

Dec 2, 2010
Whitehorse Yukon
I came off a 2010 M8 162" I liked the sled just wasn't what I wanted never truly got the hang of riding it.

With the XM I am doing things I never had before. Taking tighter lines playing in more technical terrain everything feels so natural. I am more confident now because the sled reacts to what I want it to do with no fighting. I had the best ride of my life today and the sled had all to do with it.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
How is the XM to sidehill on steep stuff like 35 degrees plus. I've never ridden one but from the videos I've seen, it looks like they wash out when trying to hold a steep line. I would agree that the Pro has a sweet spot that's not for everyone but when it comes to holding a steep sidehill, they seem to hold a good edge.

I think that the XM will panel out before the Pro.That is a fact. As an example, I have had my Pro to where the back end was stepping out on a steep face, I was having fun so pinned it and just rode it around a hill, to where I was actually going sideways instead of staight, I finally had to nut up and dive over the sled, turn down, and hope it ended well. The Xm doesn't do anythign scary like that, I can tell when it is done as far as panelling, but I am able to push it as far as I want, stop, then get going and turn down, get out of it.
With a good rider, the Pro WILL out sidehill an XM. The physics of the sled make that happen. Super narrow chassis, built for it. Great sled for Burandt, but most everything I listed above made it a bad choice for everytone else.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
How is it on a downhill when heading straight down hill, see a tree line, stop, and then lay it over one side or the other and sidehill the other direction. Mind you this is all at slow speeds trying to pick your way through a steep tree covered downhill. That is the one spot where I really thought the pol shined over the cat. This is also the specific riding I really enjoy. 1- it's challenging for me because it is something new, and 2- I like looking back up the hill when I get done and seeing wierd crazy lines descending from the trees. Keep in mind I am by know means a competant rider. I go slow because I have to. It takes me a long time to make a descent like that. I plan on snow checking a 14 and am by no means brand bias at all. I know after riding the 13 cat it just isn't for me but I am really intrigued by the xm.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Pro to XM

I had a chance to ride the XM yesterday. Didn't get to spend a whole lot of time on it, but here are my thoughts...

Power-Stock vs. Stock, no comparison. I thought the xm had noticeably more power than my pro. Really smooth at the bottom end, and much more "pull" at the top. I was really impressed. I can see where some of the "underpowered pro" comments originate from. I was also pretty impressed at how quiet and smooth the power plant was. No vibration at all. My pro feels like it may come up apart at idle.

Fit and Finish-Pretty impressed here as well. From the day I got my Pro RMK, it has had quality issues. Panels not fitting correctly, etc.

Handling-As stated above, didn't get to spend that much time on it, so I may not have found the sweet spot. I had the opportunity to ride the same lines on the xm as I did my pro, either a little higher or lower on the slope. On my Pro, I am able to get to the apex of a steep sidehill, hop over to the uphill side and manipulate the sled how I want it from there. I can usually hold the sidehill, downhill elevator, start back up the hill, etc. On the XM I got to the top of the hill much faster, but had a tough time manipulating from there. I could hold a sidehill, but when it got steep, the sled kept wanting to "nose up" and climb. I could get it to "elevator" but when I got back on the throttle it was time to hang on, because it was either wanting to rocket across the sidehill, or go straight up. I am sure I could get better with more practice.

All in all, I was pretty impressed. Impressed enough to really consider it for my next sled. In my opinion, this sled is leaps and bounds above the XP. No matter what I did on one of those things, I always felt like I was riding a washing machine full of concrete. I think mtn snowmobilers are in a pretty good place right now...If someone could come up with a hybrid with all the manufacturers strong suits, sign me up.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
What year is your pro? I thought it had more power from mid to top but, when comparing 13 to 13, they were pretty even. I could ride one but it is hard when there is 53 pounds difference. They definitely ride better and steer easier. I had trouble with countersteer. The snow seemed to move my skis when I didn't want it to. I would like to ride one all day. I signed up for a demo ride so I imagine you can get a couple of hours on one. Definitely a million times better than the xp.

Premium Features