• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Special/Extreme

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I have a buddy who still ride's his 99 600 special, it's seen a lot more then most and has never had to be towed back! It was actually the sled that got me into sledding a while back. It's a blast, if he ever sells it I'm going to buy it from him.

M
Jun 19, 2008
I have a 99 Powder Special 600 EFI. Took it out to West Yellowstone twice last year had a blast and was actually pretty surprised as to how well it did in the pow. However stator went bad while I was out there so I'm waiting for that to get back from being rebuilt. Still a great sled though with 5,000 miles on it.

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, they do float pretty good in the powder, and they'e not that hard to carve with either. I'm not sure just saying but a powder special 500 could probably keep up with a new Phazer MTX. 16 more HP, (17 for the 01's), weighs 11 pounds less dry, ( probably weighs more wet though since it holds 3.5 more gallons of gas), but the phazer's got the advantage of all the new technology and a longer track. What do you think, Phazer or PS?

M
Jun 19, 2008
That's a great point. I have never thought of that but I would take my powder special any day over a phazer for mtn riding. The phazer's "new" technology like you say I don't think helps it since it weighs more and has less power. If you put the same size track on the PS I think you would be able to do circles around the phazer. Not to mention you could buy 3-5 PS for the cost of one phazer.

Have any of you guys made any mods to yours and if so what? What are you running for clutch setups?

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
I've still got my '98 powder extreme...hasn't been ridden in a few years. Lost a piston on the PTO side 2 years back. Got it fixed and now it just sits. Here's what it looked like when I was riding it. Still rips pretty good for a 600, and nothing beats the sound of a triple/triple. Still have thoughts of gearing it down and putting a 151" under it. It's got less than 2000 miles on it, still a really nice sled.

HeartAttackBottom003.jpg

G

geberhard

Dec 18, 2008
Oxford, Mi.
www.theeberhards.com
I have a buddy who still ride's his 99 600 special, it's seen a lot more then most and has never had to be towed back! It was actually the sled that got me into sledding a while back. It's a blast, if he ever sells it I'm going to buy it from him.

My brother actually just bought one. He moved from a 98 zr, and will be riding the 99 600 powder special this year. So he is still riding one.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
My back hurts just looking at that picture... rode a 97 powder extreme for three years. I had fox shocks, handle bar riser, custom built high rise seat, 141 track and I took the altitude comp off it. Ran very well but boy was it heavy, sounded cool though, love those triples.:)

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Had a ton of issues with the altitude comp on that sled. Took it off and jetted for my riding area and it ran great. I was lucky back when I bought it... I had a few friends that were super tuners and they got theirs running and then I set mine up like there's.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Leason learned.................................

When the speedo stops working ya better be heading for the truck ! When the driveshaft bearings go out the speedo quits working, its a good time to start limping back !

For what they were, those sleds worked rather well !

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
Thats my ride. 95 EXT powder special 580. I know its a POS. I am in the process of putting a 151x2 on it right now. Runs good. paid 300 for it with a bad clutch. I am planning on upgrading to an M series someday but until then I will keep riding the PS.

DSC00313.jpg
[/IMG]

Premium Features