• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Intake shape

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
So if you look at the inside of an intake under the hood it has a very specific shape with several walled in lines converging at the nose. This clearly is designed intentionally to attempt to direct and compress the air. I am curious if anyone has compared this to an open intake on the dyno? It seems there is quite a bit of extra weight here but if you lose noticeable power going to a more open/lighter intake design then it would not be worth it. Also these definitely reduce your total intake area.

What are the thoughts?

This was probably discussed back on the the original m8000 as its been the same since but I haven't found anything.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I think manufacturer's main goal with intake design is sound, second is fitment, third is performance.
They have to pass EPA.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Oh yeah, sounds is #1. intake noise is huge.

We have one of the BDX hoods on our shop cat and the extra vents on the top and sides make the intake far louder then the OEM exhaust.

This is why polaris uses the fiber material for their intake tract, much less echo'y then the plastic stuff. The inside of the G4 intake is a crazy baffled maze as well. and those things are like dead silent.

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
air intake

back in 2012 I cut all the fins out of our shop sled, i was trying to loose weight and increase flow, installed frogskinz on top and on the front part of hood, it made it loud like running a mesh airbox on the old m series. did't loose any weight, just ended up having plastic shavings in all my cracks:face-icon-small-hap

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Yeah I cant imagine there is much weight to be lost in those fins. I was more curious about when you go to like a mountain fit hood and their intake if you are giving up performance but it makes sense that those are more to reduce sound because those open intakes are definitely loud.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Airboxes provide a resonance effect which can help performance. Open intake, I've run them in the past with not very good results. For a full ported sled that needs totally unrestricted airflow for WFO max power, a direct intake can work. But the direct intakes do suffer at the low end typically. The reality is that a stock intake is also feeding the sled cold air...and when you are in deeper snow and the hood is clogged up, you will be still pull fresh, cold air with the stock design. Direct intake/pods will have you choking in hot air and will produce a poor low end/response.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
how does this compare to the proclimb intake? it runs well with intakes covered in pow. the internal direction changes help with that. cats had a good run in this area. 18s had a couple fitment/gap issues sounds like. I haven't even looked inside my 17 plenum, it just works.
only thing keeping me from trying a bdx ascender kit really.

Premium Features