• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 polaris indy trail tourning 488 f/c mods

P
Jan 3, 2018
I bought a 1998 polaris trail touring for 400 bucks. I’m just getting into mods and would like some tips on how to make this sled more off trail capable and lighter. One thing i would like to do is take the big bulky 2 up seat off and replace it with a smaller seat. I don’t want to spend too much money. Anything helps thank you in advance.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Not sure what your budget is but here are some suggestions:

Check Aaen's website to see if they offer a pipe for your model. They usually tout a HP increase along with weight loss.

Shaving and / or cutting the cylinder head is an option for more power as well but is dependent on elevation. You will need to find a competent shop that specializes in snowmobile performance for this.

The best bang for your buck will be to make sure the machine is maintained and tuned properly. I.E.
Clutches(cleaned, in servicable condition, belt deflection set, & tuned for proper engagement / max. RPM)
Carbs/fuel system(cleaned, new hoses, sync'd, & jetted properly)
Timing(set to spec. or more depending on tuning / plug reading)
Chassis(Ski alignment, track tension, suspension pivot points / lubrication, etc.)

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I started off with an old fan sled and similar questions. I ended up with a 600 RMK as my primary sled, but I've got another Indy Trail I'm working on building into an ultralight mod sled. Merlin covered a lot of ground, but I'll throw in my two cents.

First, I'd recommend saving your money on horsepower upgrades for now. You can make more power out of a fan sled, but only the 3-5 HP you can get from careful tuning is remotely cost-effective compared to upgrading to a liquid-cooled sled. There is more power to be made from exhaust, porting, bigger carbs, and so on, but that takes a lot of time, effort, and know-how. Beyond that, most people don't bother is because you've got heat issues when you try to push more power with a fan. It's a dead horse that gets beaten every time someone posts about a fan sled, but I bring it up for the sake of expectations.

You hit on easily the biggest thing you can do, which is lose unnecessary weight. Ditch any mirrors, luggage rack, and such add-ons. If you're willing to do some adapting and fabricating, you could fit a lightweight seat from any number of sleds (doesn't have to be Polaris); you might find something cheap perusing Craigslist. The other thing to look for is a set of plastic skis; those shed significant weight and typically perform better. They're not universal though, so make sure you know how you're going to fit them before you buy. Pretty sure you've got a longer track on that, so with some weight-shedding you should be able to manage off-trail if it's not too deep.

Premium Features