• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WA Snowmobile Regulations

I
Jan 11, 2016
Hi all,

I am completely new to snowmobiles. I have been an avid backcountry skier for over 10 years, so very familiar with the backcountry. I am not very familiar with what the regulations are for where snowmobiles are allowed in the backcountry(I would like to avoid snowparks as much as possible). From what I have read any forest service road that is covered in snow, snowmobiles are allowed. My main reason for buying snowmobiles is to open up some more terrain for skiing. Any good spots in WA that anyone knows of? Thanks for the help!

gr8skidoo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
MAPLE VALLEY WA.
WWW.I-90MOTORSPORTS.COM

FlyingW

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WA
Hi all,

I am completely new to snowmobiles. I have been an avid backcountry skier for over 10 years, so very familiar with the backcountry. I am not very familiar with what the regulations are for where snowmobiles are allowed in the backcountry(I would like to avoid snowparks as much as possible). From what I have read any forest service road that is covered in snow, snowmobiles are allowed. My main reason for buying snowmobiles is to open up some more terrain for skiing. Any good spots in WA that anyone knows of? Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the world of snowmobiling. Not all roads covered with snow are open to snowmobiling. The best place to find out would be going to the Forest Service office where you plan to ride and find out from them as they are the land managers and are usually great people. Some areas have closures to accommodate non-motorized users, winter wildlife feeding areas, Wilderness of course, as well as some other reasons in their management plan. Most areas though that offer good snowmobiling have a trailhead at a SnoPark so be careful trying to avoid a SnoPark. It is possible but usually there is a reason why there is no SnoPark is because there isn't much snowmobiling opportunities.

Anyway whoever the land manager is for where you want to explore is where you should go to ask what is available. Washington State Parks has maps for the groomed trail system across the state on their website.

Have fun.

Premium Features